Reload this Page >

Baby Nationality & Passports?

Baby Nationality & Passports?

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

alfie1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby Nationality & Passports?

Morning All,

I'm fairly new to the forum so apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

To make a long story short, I'm a UK citizen who emigrated to the US last year, married a US citizen, attained permanent residency status living in the US and we're now expecting our first child this coming January.

From what I've read our child should have dual nationality being of both American and British parents.

My first question is, is this correct and how would we go about registering our new addition as part British? I'm assuming that as we're having the birth in the US, the US national side of things should be straight forward.

Second question is, we're planning a family visit to the UK next year for my grandparents. Does the US now require infants to have passports like the UK? Does the UK expect the infant to have a passport? Basically what passport is going to be best to get the little one from the US, to the UK and back again with a minimum of hassle at customs? US/UK?

Any light you can shed on the situation would be really appreciated.

All the best
Alf.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 2:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby Nationality & Passports?

Originally Posted by alfie1977
Morning All,

All the best
Alf.
ayup Alfie, indeed the nipper will be entitled to two passports and nationalities.

the general rule of thumb is thus

If standing on US soil, use the US passport

If standing on UK/EU soil, use the British passport.

check out www.britainusa.com for more details on registering the birth with the UK embassy.

welcome to expats also.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:12 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Manc - I've a question on this. Is it "better" (as far as any potential situation down the road) to register the birth with the Embassy in DC and only get 1 passport (US) or do I have to get 2 passports for my little one?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Manc - I've a question on this. Is it "better" (as far as any potential situation down the road) to register the birth with the Embassy in DC and only get 1 passport (US) or do I have to get 2 passports for my little one?
I don't know. You can be a UK citizen without a passport for sure, entering the UK as a UK citizen on a US passport might raise some serious eyebrows though
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

alfie1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
I don't know. You can be a UK citizen without a passport for sure, entering the UK as a UK citizen on a US passport might raise some serious eyebrows though
Hey Manc,

Cheers for the information, really appreciated.

I was kind of thinking of doing the same as Hooiser. Registering the little one as both a US & UK citizen and initially getting a US passport as the prices for a 5 year UK passport seem a little extreme. Of course the little one would enter the UK as a US national on a US passport. Would this cause any problems do you think? (Yeah I know it's kind of cutting corners but.....)

All the best
Stuart
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:50 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
entering the UK as a UK citizen on a US passport might raise some serious eyebrows though
Why would dennis healey care ???
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 5:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

USC babies do indeed have to have a passport and it's good for 5 years.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 5:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I was kind of thinking of doing the same as Hooiser
A read of http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308955 might be helpful for you. More expense, I'm afraid.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 5:39 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Morning All,

I'm fairly new to the forum so apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

To make a long story short, I'm a UK citizen who emigrated to the US last year, married a US citizen, attained permanent residency status living in the US and we're now expecting our first child this coming January.

From what I've read our child should have dual nationality being of both American and British parents.

My first question is, is this correct and how would we go about registering our new addition as part British? I'm assuming that as we're having the birth in the US, the US national side of things should be straight forward.

Second question is, we're planning a family visit to the UK next year for my grandparents. Does the US now require infants to have passports like the UK? Does the UK expect the infant to have a passport? Basically what passport is going to be best to get the little one from the US, to the UK and back again with a minimum of hassle at customs? US/UK?

All the best
Alf.
well the U.S will expect their U.S citizen to have a U.S passport...and if you're only flying home for a visit this shouldn't be a problem at all..I actually have no U.K paperwork on 2 of my kids they are pretty much a U.k citizen by decent..with or without the paperwork

and congrats for January
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Our first one was born in December last year. We applied for the UK passport and registered her with the Embassy in Washington.

When it came time for our annual UK trip, our daughter's UK passport had not arrived, but we had applied for and received her US passport. So we went through passport control at Heathrow as UK citizens, even though the little one was entering as a US citizen - no problems at all.

When we got back from our UK holiday, there was the FedEx package sitting on our doorstep with our daughter's UK passport. I have a suspicion it arrived on the day we left, but since we left at 6am we didn't see that day's delivery.

Anyway, I would just go ahead and get the UK passport - it will save a lot of hassle further down the line.

Morning All,

All the best
Alf.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:20 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Anyway, I would just go ahead and get the UK passport - it will save a lot of hassle further down the line.
what hassles? it specifically says that the U.S authorities fully expect their citizens to use only U.S passports, they even advise you at the British embassy in Washington to do this.

by all means get both passports...I eventually will for my kids but I would say the best advice for the OP is to use the U.S passport for the child.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Save hassles of entry into the UK. I agree with the advice of using a US passport on US soil and a UK passport on UK soil.

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
what hassles? it specifically says that the U.S authorities fully expect their citizens to use only U.S passports, they even advise you at the British embassy in Washington to do this.

by all means get both passports...I eventually will for my kids but I would say the best advice for the OP is to use the U.S passport for the child.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Your right, but for a holiday, UKC could use a US passport if only for a holiday...but would need a US passport to get to the US regardles...but getting a UK passport is the easiest way of proving British Citizenship.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel

saves hassle down the line because not all US birthcerts show citizenship...registering kids is a pain depending on which country your in, and a passport shows citizenship, and a copy of that, your be all set.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
saves hassle down the line because not all US birthcerts show citizenship...registering kids is a pain depending on which country your in, and a passport shows citizenship, and a copy of that, your be all set.

If you have a child born in the US and the child is British - you will save the child a lot of hassle later on if you get a consular birth certificate from the British Embassy as well as a British passport.

Many US birth certificates are not accepted fully by UK authorities, and if the only proof of your child's British citizenship is a passport then the child faces a nightmare replacing it later on if it's lost (eg as a young adult).

Also - *never* assume your child is British unless the child has been issued with either a consular birth certificate, a Certificate of Registration (as a British citizen) or a British citizen passport.

While most children born in the UK to British parents are British automatically, there are exceptions to this rule. Usually this can be fixed by applying for the child to be registered as a citizen, but there are time limits for this if so. Lots of parents get a really nasty surprise later on when they think their child is British when it isn't.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 2nd 2005 at 11:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.