Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Baby Born in USA

Wikiposts

Baby Born in USA

Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:07 am
Just Joined

LA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really niceLA Sunshine is just really nice
Default Baby Born in USA

My baby son was born this week while we were on vacation in Los Angeles (on a 12 month tourist visa). We did not know my wife was pregnant when we left the UK and the baby was born prematurely. We are still in the USA but do not know the process about how to get our son back in to the UK - what paperwork etc. would be needed and does he need a passport before we can return to the UK? How do we register him here? Our tourist Visa lasts another month.

Sorry to seem dim, this is all very complicated subject and we don't want to do anything wrong!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:53 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby Born in USA

Wow - congratulations!
Your son is a US citizen and a UK citizen. You can get him a US passport, because he has a US birth certificate, but it will take longer than a month. Surely you won't be able to travel with him at the age of five weeks, especially since he was premature - you might want to see if you can extend your stay.
Then, ask the UK consulate what the procedure is for registering the birth of a UK citizen abroad. His birth certificate combined with your wife's passport prove he's a UK citizen. But you could travel home with him just on his US passport (which you could get expedited if necessary.)
Good Luck

Robin
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:02 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Wow - congratulations!
Your son is a US citizen and a UK citizen. You can get him a US passport, because he has a US birth certificate, but it will take longer than a month. Surely you won't be able to travel with him at the age of five weeks, especially since he was premature - you might want to see if you can extend your stay.
Then, ask the UK consulate what the procedure is for registering the birth of a UK citizen abroad. His birth certificate combined with your wife's passport prove he's a UK citizen. But you could travel home with him just on his US passport (which you could get expedited if necessary.)
Good Luck

Robin
Congratulations.

In a pinch, you can get an American passport in as little as 3-5 days (for a fee). You simply need to provide details of your flights to the passport authority. I use a service here when I need visas and passports for people:

http://www.abriggs.com/

My fastest was 36 hours (though I was in Washington at the time at that saved mailing back and forth and whatnot).

Your child is an American citizen, and quite frankly, there is nothing you can do about that. You cannot renounce his citizenship on his behalf (should you want to) as only he is allowed to do so and then only after they turn 18 (I think). That doesn't mean much, though he will have to register for military service (i.e. the draft) when he turns 18, and should he ever enter the United States he *must* do so on a US passport (he is not allowed to enter the US on a UK passport if he is a US citizen).

As for the UK citizenship, check the many threads in this forum about getting a UK passport from the embassy or consulate. You'll need to register his birth and go through the forms.

In addition, eventhough you might not use it, I would write to the INS and ask for a 3 month extension on your visa. Explain the hardship of having to travel with a newborn child (5 weeks is a bit early, especially for a premie) and that you fully intend to return after the extension. If memory serves, merely by writing that letter you remain 'in status' on your visa while you are awaiting a reply (I think). Do not overstay / fall out of status as that can affect future re-entry. (I really think you'll get an extension for a situation like yours--you can send a couple of pictures, birth certificate, and if at all possible, a note from a doctor saying they recommend against travel at this time).

Anyway, congratulations again.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Congratulations.

In a pinch, you can get an American passport in as little as 3-5 days (for a fee). You simply need to provide details of your flights to the passport authority. I use a service here when I need visas and passports for people:

http://www.abriggs.com/

My fastest was 36 hours (though I was in Washington at the time at that saved mailing back and forth and whatnot).

Your child is an American citizen, and quite frankly, there is nothing you can do about that. You cannot renounce his citizenship on his behalf (should you want to) as only he is allowed to do so and then only after they turn 18 (I think). That doesn't mean much, though he will have to register for military service (i.e. the draft) when he turns 18, and should he ever enter the United States he *must* do so on a US passport (he is not allowed to enter the US on a UK passport if he is a US citizen).

As for the UK citizenship, check the many threads in this forum about getting a UK passport from the embassy or consulate. You'll need to register his birth and go through the forms.

In addition, eventhough you might not use it, I would write to the INS and ask for a 3 month extension on your visa. Explain the hardship of having to travel with a newborn child (5 weeks is a bit early, especially for a premie) and that you fully intend to return after the extension. If memory serves, merely by writing that letter you remain 'in status' on your visa while you are awaiting a reply (I think). Do not overstay / fall out of status as that can affect future re-entry. (I really think you'll get an extension for a situation like yours--you can send a couple of pictures, birth certificate, and if at all possible, a note from a doctor saying they recommend against travel at this time).

Anyway, congratulations again.
I believe they are taking longer than that because of the huge backlog of applications for US PP. The normal route is taking 3 to 4 months and the expedited route 6 weeks. Not sure how quickly the private companies can turn it around at the moment.

To the OP: maybe you should repost your question in the BE Immigration forum. Congratulations on your new arrival...good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 21st 2007 at 9:12 am.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LA Sunshine
My baby son was born this week while we were on vacation in Los Angeles (on a 12 month tourist visa). We did not know my wife was pregnant when we left the UK and the baby was born prematurely. We are still in the USA but do not know the process about how to get our son back in to the UK - what paperwork etc. would be needed and does he need a passport before we can return to the UK? How do we register him here? Our tourist Visa lasts another month.

Sorry to seem dim, this is all very complicated subject and we don't want to do anything wrong!
I just wanted to say congrats!

Many people are in a similar situation to you/your wife in terms of a surprise baby arriving. Over time, it may be that some people suggest that perhaps you are not very bright for not being aware. I want to make it very clear that there really are many, many people who are in your shoes, due to one or more of many contraceptive/menstrual-related issues.

Good luck with this surprising twist in your travel plans
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:10 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=LA Sunshine;5218319]My baby son was born this week QUOTE]

just read your post and wanted to say congratulations all round
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:12 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I believe they are taking longer than that because of the huge backlog of applications for US PP. The normal route is taking 3 to 4 months and the expedited route 6 weeks. Not sure how quickly the private companies can turn it around at the moment.

To the OP: maybe you should repost your question in the BE Immigration forum.
For what it is worth, I used them last week for a friend. 5 days. They hand deliver the passports to the urgent passport office at the State Department. The overall slowdown for mail applications is pretty bad, but the walk-in line for last minute passports is still functioning normally.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
For what it is worth, I used them last week for a friend. 5 days. They hand deliver the passports to the urgent passport office at the State Department. The overall slowdown for mail applications is pretty bad, but the walk-in line for last minute passports is still functioning normally.
Well that's good news. We know someone who waited in line for 8 hrs in Philly a couple of weeks ago at the walk-in.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

To confirm US citizenship:
*Get multiple copies of his US birth certificate now while you have the easy opportunity.
* Get an apostille on several of the copies, instructions here: http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notar...entication.htm
* Apply for a social security number and card, instructions here: http://ssa.gov/gethelp2.htm
* Apply for a US passport, instructions here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

To confirm UK citizenship:
* Get a Consular Report of the Birth, instructions here: http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41016&a=25315
* Get a UK passport, instructions here: http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25297

If the US passport has not arrived by the time you leave, you should be fine leaving with the UK one provided you have a friend who can post it on to you since there are no exit controls for US citizens. However, the child should not return to the US on the UK passport.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:03 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! Don't mention your "anchor baby" to any Minutemen!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My baby son was born this week while we were on vacation in Los Angeles (on a 12 month tourist visa).
What's a '12 month tourist visa'?

The date you need to be concerned with (as far as leaving) is the date on the I-94 card stapled in your passport.

It's not unheard of for you to get a 12-month admission, just really unusual.

You're both (the parents) UK citizens?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:20 am
Just Joined

triciacass is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Baby Born in USA

Wow congratulations. I'm curious though how does one get a 12 month tourist visa? My American boyfriend and I were thinking of touring the states but I thought we were limited to 90 days. Once again what a wonderful miracle blessing. What fun you must've had telling the family and friends - whoops we've an American baby.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
What's a '12 month tourist visa'?
?
Interesting question The London Embassy will sometimes issue a 12 month visa instead of 10 years when there is a background problem
but its not a 12 month stay visa.. just valid for 12 months ...
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:55 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Morag McDoogal will become famous soon enoughMorag McDoogal will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ray
Interesting question The London Embassy will sometimes issue a 12 month visa instead of 10 years when there is a background problem
but its not a 12 month stay visa.. just valid for 12 months ...
Ray, 12 months does NOT mean a background problem. I was at the embassy last week for a B2. I previously had one (2004) which was valid for 12 months. At last week's appointment, I asked why only 12 months instead of 10 years. I was told that our ages were the main factor....we've never committed any crimes, overstayed etc. I also thought that maybe my military service was an issue due to the corps that ~I was in but was assured it was the age thing. :curse:

PS: The new visa is also only for 12 months......I get to pay loads of money to the Embassy...

Last edited by Morag McDoogal; Aug 29th 2007 at 8:20 pm. Reason: Additional test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.