Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa and obtaining State ID Card

B2 Visa and obtaining State ID Card

Old Jul 6th 2013, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future
Default Re: B2 Visa and obtaining State ID Card

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I think this just means that the UK do better checks than the US, seems like the US is heaven for anyone wanting to buy a gun, then go out and shoot whatever/whoever they like.. Not saying this is what you want to do, but the lack of police and mental health checks is extremely alarming.
Here is the whole issue, would a connected rich or "upper class" person be able to obtain a licence easier than a blue collar worker?

If so, then all concept of Western Democracy is lost in that country. No ifs, ends of buts ... none ...!!!!

(P.S. the above is my opinion and it is supported by the basic idea that all men (people) are created equal and we do not bow our heads to those that bullied or worst everybody else during the Middle Ages to become the landed aristocracy)
Old Jul 6th 2013, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KCK_DR
Here is the whole issue, would a connected rich or "upper class" person be able to obtain a licence easier than a blue collar worker?

If so, then all concept of Western Democracy is lost in that country. No ifs, ends of buts ... none ...!!!!

(P.S. the above is my opinion and it is supported by the basic idea that all men (people) are created equal and we do not bow our heads to those that bullied or worst everybody else during the Middle Ages to become the landed aristocracy)
Not just referring to guns but just for about everything, the rich in all countries get favored treatment. Why should some poor person that steals $500 gets 5 years in jail but a white collar crook that swindles people out of millions of dollars only get 2 years in jail or just probation? Or someone like Charlie Sheen goes through suitcases of cocaine every month but is ignored by the police but if the average person is found with a small amount of cocaine, they are put in jail. If you are rich enough to hire a team of lobbyists and lawyers, you can get away with just about anything (if that wasn't the case, there would currently be several hundred bankers in jail).

Laws in all countries are written by the rich for the rich. If you think otherwise, you are just fooling yourself.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybernet1969
It seems the Canadian's have a simple method of obtaining a firearm in their country for anyone.

1. Pass the Canadian Firearms Safety Course. (CFSC). Apparently this is not difficult.
2. Pass the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC). This is optional and only needed if you want a handgun and/or AR15 type rifle.
3. Obtain a Purchase and Acquire License. (PAL). In 2012, 98000 were issued and only 511 denied.

Anybody can do points 1, 2 and 3 above (Canadian or Foreigner). Obviously they would need to be physically in Canada to-do points 1 and/or 2 above.

Foreigners or non-residents supply Identification documents in the form of a valid passport.

This is not something I am interested in but it seems a rather simple and logical way of legally using firearms for all concerned.

Mark
Well, of course it is - what else did you expect from Canada?
Old Jul 6th 2013, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

cybernet1969 will become famous soon enoughcybernet1969 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by md95065
Well, of course it is - what else did you expect from Canada?
I wish they had the same system here. Your form only asks what has happened in the last 5 years with regards to health and/or convictions. Plus I like the safety system you have to go through.

We cant even train for the Olympic shooting events here as ALL handguns are banned.

The strange thing is that the Home Office issued 4,783 handgun licenses in 2012. But it doesn't say what for or who too.

Mark
Old Jul 6th 2013, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

cybernet1969 will become famous soon enoughcybernet1969 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by KCK_DR

Yes they would be able to get an FAC here. We had a mass shooting back in the 1980's by someone who was well connected and had money. In theory he should never have been given the FAC due to mental health issues and convictions for assault. But apparently he was a good friend of a Chief Constable. The court report was sealed for a 100 years by the then Prime Minister by using a 'D' notice.

But they took away everyone's semi-automatic full-bore rifle license and banned them.

Mark
Old Jul 6th 2013, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

We cant even train for the Olympic shooting events here as ALL handguns are banned.
A ban, I might add, that the vast and overwhelming majority of the British public supported and continue to endorse fully.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
A ban, I might add, that the vast and overwhelming majority of the British public supported and continue to endorse fully.
I don't remember being asked to VOTE on the subject ?

Did Japan ban ALL types of knives when someone stabbed 17 people on the underground train system ?, What you going to-do, have everyone eating at home with plastic knives and forks ?

Stupid knee jerk reactions don't solve GUN violence. Do you think the gangs in the UK who have weapons applied for a Firearms Certificate or did they just go upto a well known pub in Elephant and Castle (to name one) and hand over £600 with no questions asked ?

Should I be denied a firearm but have to accept my police force recently shot a 62 year old man carrying a table leg because they thought it was a rifle/shotgun ?

If the state is armed then so should its citizens be as long as they are not a convicted criminal or currently suffering from mental health issues.

President Obama has done more for gun/ammo sales than anyone else in US history. How is he going to ban assault rifles, nobody knows who owns them or how many. He would have to call out the national guard and search every home/barn in the whole of the USA.

Soon I will be shooting some type of firearm without having to jump through hoops in my own stupid little insignificant country.

It always amazes me that we are a member of the G8. I wouldn't class the UK as one of the richest countries in the world. Most people I know don't know how they are going to feed there families each week.

The majority of people here don't even bother voting. That just about sums up what they obviously think of their country.

Mark
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember being asked to VOTE on the subject ?

Did Japan ban ALL types of knives when someone stabbed 17 people on the underground train system ?, What you going to-do, have everyone eating at home with plastic knives and forks ?

Stupid knee jerk reactions don't solve GUN violence. Do you think the gangs in the UK who have weapons applied for a Firearms Certificate or did they just go upto a well known pub in Elephant and Castle (to name one) and hand over £600 with no questions asked ?

Should I be denied a firearm but have to accept my police force recently shot a 62 year old man carrying a table leg because they thought it was a rifle/shotgun ?

If the state is armed then so should its citizens be as long as they are not a convicted criminal or currently suffering from mental health issues.

President Obama has done more for gun/ammo sales than anyone else in US history. How is he going to ban assault rifles, nobody knows who owns them or how many. He would have to call out the national guard and search every home/barn in the whole of the USA.

Soon I will be shooting some type of firearm without having to jump through hoops in my own stupid little insignificant country.

It always amazes me that we are a member of the G8. I wouldn't class the UK as one of the richest countries in the world. Most people I know don't know how they are going to feed there families each week.

The majority of people here don't even bother voting. That just about sums up what they obviously think of their country.

Mark
I'm with cybernet1969 on this one. Although I don't own a gun and don't hunt, I grew up in a rural area where all types of guns were common and believe that most people have a right to own guns. Although I think there should be stricter universal background checks when someone buys a gun (especially handguns) and some limitations on the purchase of assault rifles, I don't believe that either handguns or assault rifles should be completely banned. As far as normal hunting rifles, anyone other than felons or people with a serious mental illness should be able to buy one and handguns and assault rifles should be able to be purchased by people after a very stringent background check.

There are areas of the US such as Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, and much of the Midwest where guns are a way of life as much as owning cars are in most countries and cars are normally more deadly than guns.

In most of America (except gang areas in large cities), guns are not a major cause of homicidal deaths. Although handguns are a major cause of suicidal deaths in the US, suicidal rates in the US are lower than many European countries. I much rather have someone shoot themselves instead of jump in front of trains like they do in Japan which has a much higher suicidal rate than the US.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm with cybernet1969 on this one. Although I don't own a gun and don't hunt, I grew up in a rural area where all types of guns were common and believe that most people have a right to own guns. Although I think there should be stricter universal background checks when someone buys a gun (especially handguns) and some limitations on the purchase of assault rifles, I don't believe that either handguns or assault rifles should be completely banned. As far as normal hunting rifles, anyone other than felons or people with a serious mental illness should be able to buy one and handguns and assault rifles should be able to be purchased by people after a very stringent background check.

There are areas of the US such as Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, and much of the Midwest where guns are a way of life as much as owning cars are in most countries and cars are normally more deadly than guns.

In most of America (except gang areas in large cities), guns are not a major cause of homicidal deaths. Although handguns are a major cause of suicidal deaths in the US, suicidal rates in the US are lower than many European countries. I much rather have someone shoot themselves instead of jump in front of trains like they do in Japan which has a much higher suicidal rate than the US.
Switzerland always surprises me. After completing your 2 year national service you are given your previously issued assault rifle to keep at home. The reason being you could defend your home if Switzerland was ever invaded. Not very likely I know.

The difference is that they don't seem to go around shooting each other or at least its not reported.

Any changes to gun laws there are usually open to a public vote.

Mark
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Switzerland always surprises me. After completing your 2 year national service you are given your previously issued assault rifle to keep at home. The reason being you could defend your home if Switzerland was ever invaded. Not very likely I know.

The difference is that they don't seem to go around shooting each other or at least its not reported.

Any changes to gun laws there are usually open to a public vote.

Mark
In Switzerland, all guns are registered by serial number and law enforcement can enter a person's home to check that the gun is there and secured and all the bullets issued are still with the gun. If a bullet is missing, a Swiss citizen can be in major legal trouble.

So Swiss are allowed to possess their military gun but are not allowed to shoot it. When laws are like that, it really isn't any different than the UK.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

In Switzerland, all guns are registered by serial number and law enforcement can enter a person's home to check that the gun is there and secured and all the bullets issued are still with the gun. If a bullet is missing, a Swiss citizen can be in major legal trouble.

So Swiss are allowed to possess their military gun but are not allowed to shoot it. When laws are like that, it really isn't any different than the UK.
Cant they go and buy their own ammo for it ?
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cant they go and buy their own ammo for it ?
Nope. The sale of ammunition is controlled and registered just like guns.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When I was living in Switzerland in the late 1960s, a friend of mine (an American) shipped his handgun to Switzerland with his household effects and didn't declare it but never shot it while in Switzerland. I thought he was crazy because if law enforcement found the gun, he would be in big legal problems.

Mexico has some of the toughest gun controls in the world but has some of the most problems with gun violence. Recently an American took his hunting rifle (bolt action 30-30) to Mexico on the way to Costa Rica and declared it at the border with all the paperwork. The Mexicans let him in but once he exited border control, they arrested him and threw him in prison for possessing an illegal firearm. He spent 8 months in prison and wasn't released until Clinton intervened.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 6th 2013 at 5:56 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Nope. The sale of ammunition is controlled and registered just like guns.
I know a large proportion of their population do have gun licenses for hunting and range shooting.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

When I was living in Switzerland in the late 1960s, a friend of mine (an American) shipped his handgun to Switzerland with his household effects and didn't declare it but never shot it while in Switzerland. I thought he was crazy because if law enforcement found the gun, he would be in big legal problems.

Mexico has some of the toughest gun controls in the world but has some of the most problems with gun violence. Recently an American took his hunting rifle (bolt action 30-30) to Mexico on the way to Costa Rica and declared it at the border with all the paperwork. The Mexicans let him in but once he exited border control, they arrested him and threw him in prison for possessing an illegal firearm. He spent 8 months in prison and wasn't released until Clinton intervened.
My government at the moment is prosecuting an SAS sniper who was found in possession of a handgun and 300 rounds of ammunition for it.

When he left Afghan, his mates packed it into a box with his other kit and shipped it to his house in the UK. He never personally brought the gun back with him. Someone living at his house found the gun/ammo and told the local police.

He has already spent 3 months in a military detention centre, army career is over, pension gone and now faces a potential mandatory 5 year prison term. Not to mention I am sure now he and his family will be at risk from terrorists etc.

To me that is totally over the top and a disgusting way to treat a soldier. He probably knows more about the safe handling of weapons than all the MP's who make up our stupid laws.

Makes me really love my country!!!!

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.