Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa application - because of Hurricane Rita - any help appreciated.

B2 Visa application - because of Hurricane Rita - any help appreciated.

Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

mikey100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Visa application - because of Hurricane Rita - any help appreciated.

Hi

I overstayed on the visa waiver program (2 days cause of Hurricane Rita) and have now been told that I need to apply for the B2 tourist visa every time i want to visit the US. I'm planning to make a trip out soon in March (to visit family) and am wondering if anyone has done the same as me and how long it took for them to get it issued.

I've been told its alot quicker (the US embassy website says 5 days - but i find that hard to believe). But the main thing that gets me is the question on the application form is "Have you ever violated the terms of a U.S. visa, or been unlawfully present in, or deported from, the United States? " which means that for me I have to tick that as yes because of my overstay. According to the application process that will mean a minimum wait of 14-16 weeks!!! Even though I only overstayed for 2 days because of a real emergency!

So the question is - what are the chances of getting my tourist visa in the 5 days or will it be 16 weeks? What do you think? Anyone overstayed and applied for a tourist visa before and how did it go?

Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. I'm calling the us embassy (in London) to schedule the appointment with a consular tommorow but I can assume even getting an appointment will take ages...

Oh some last questions:

Does the US consular at the interview tell you the result of your application at the interview or do they process it and tell you in a couple of days?

Do they do multi entry visas anymore? I have to go back to the states in August as well since my Sister-in law's having her baby and I don't really want to pay the processing fees again. I can't believe the phone number you have to call to schedule the interview costs 1.20 per minute!!!

Does anyone know a way to strike that overstay off my record? I really dont think its fair - it was a real emergency! Especially after Hurricane Katrina.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa application - because of Hurricane Rita - any help appreciated.

just come back in and wing it - explain the reason for the overstay if questioned.

I have left a couple of times on VWP and they have forgotten to take the green I94 back - of course they may be stricter these days
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: B2 Visa application - because of Hurricane Rita - any help appreciated.

Originally Posted by Big D
just come back in and wing it - explain the reason for the overstay if questioned.

I have left a couple of times on VWP and they have forgotten to take the green I94 back - of course they may be stricter these days
Neg. Overstay the VWP and its tough tit. No excuses. They should have left before Rita struck as fas as USCIS are concerned.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

if you get the visa it will be valid for a while and you can enter as many times as you want as long as its valid - obviously if you spend more time here than the UK then further questions may be asked!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Yeah they have gotten alot stricter now. No winging it anymore I'm afraid.

That does suck though - it was a real emergency. But I understand that technically I was breaking the rules...

Just wondering about this March trip - I'm thinking the processing for it (interview, visa processing, waiting for the passport) will take me weeks to sort out. Which is really disappointing... Oh well I guess I don't really know until I talk to a consular.

So just to confirm the B2 Visa is a multi entry visa or do they only do it for certain cases?

And does anyone know if at the interview the consular will tell you the result?

Thanks for your help so far!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey100

So just to confirm the B2 Visa is a multi entry visa or do they only do it for certain cases?

You should post this in the US Visas board; different pool of respondants.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:17 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah they have gotten alot stricter now. No winging it anymore I'm afraid.

That does suck though - it was a real emergency. But I understand that technically I was breaking the rules...

Just wondering about this March trip - I'm thinking the processing for it (interview, visa processing, waiting for the passport) will take me weeks to sort out. Which is really disappointing... Oh well I guess I don't really know until I talk to a consular.

Fill out all the necessary paperwork and make an appointment for a visa interview at the Belfast consulate. The waiting time for interview is much less than anywhere else and you'll get your visa quicker too.
I reckon if you start the process now that you should be sorted by March. I think there's a phone number that you need to call to make an appointment (costs £1.20 a minute) and all the details for forms to be completed, documents to be obtained, etc are on the website.

Now that I think about it though you might have trouble getting a police report in time - depends on how helpful your local plods want to be.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
1. Does the US consular at the interview tell you the result of your application at the interview or do they process it and tell you in a couple of days?

2. Do they do multi entry visas anymore? I have to go back to the states in August as well since my Sister-in law's having her baby and I don't really want to pay the processing fees again. I can't believe the phone number you have to call to schedule the interview costs 1.20 per minute!!!

3. Does anyone know a way to strike that overstay off my record? I really dont think its fair - it was a real emergency! Especially after Hurricane Katrina.
The answer to your first bit will depend on your particular circumstances. There are US immigration lawyers in London who may be of help.

1. You will know then, assuming there is no additional info they ask for.

2. They do single and multi entry visa's, multi is usual.

3. There is no way, you are stuck with it. Assuming you obtain the visa you will probably be always stuck with a visit to secondary.

4. There are not that many people from the UK who have B2's, or for that matter could get one. Most are of retirement age as the usual reason is for more than 90 days but less than 6 months. Non retiree's would have issues justifying that timespan. I did not believe an overstay would result in the processing timeline you mentioned, a ban (6 months plus overstay) certainly would.

A bit late now but never a good idea to leave it to the last moment leaving.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all for their help thus far. It is very much appreciated.