Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Average Mileage

Wikiposts

Average Mileage

Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average Mileage

During my initial work days here Igot a job as a car sales and leasing agent ... Not much good at it though I was too honest, if someone came in withan Audi to trade for a Ford I told them the 10 year old Audi was better than the brand new ford ETC.
One thing I did learn is that no matter what the company states on the lease the customer can set his or her own amount of miles per year before signing the agreement, it will up the payment but the company can't refuse, if they do then go somewhere else who will

12,000 a year around her would be useless ! ..... apart from the weekly trip to the shops etc I would probably fit in one trip to NYC every year.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

While I was part of the chorus above saying don't lease, there is one alternative to consider.

IF you decide you want to go 'cheap' on the car (I don't recommend it but I don't know your financial situation) - let's say, many of the generic GM or Ford models in the <$20k range - to get a basic 'runaround town' model, then you could consider renting a nicer car for long trips.

As much as I advocate and enjoy long road trips, you don't want to be going on a 3,000 mile road trip in a daily runaround car - you'll hate the journey. In my case, my daily car was getting up there in the miles - 150,000 - and so I treated myself to a 'Hertz Prestige Collection' car for my long road trips. At varous times, I got an Audi A6 Quattro, a Jaguar, etc. This gave me the opportunity to check out the latest cars too on an 'extended test drive'. If you seek out special offers, you can get some surprising deals on these cars with unlimited miles.

Actually, I'd also recommend you consider a used car. Again, not knowing your financial situation, it's hard to comment but when I came here as a naive young soul at the age of 23, all I could afford was a used Honda Accord for $4k. That wonderful car lasted me about 5 years, then I replaced it with another Accord for $6k. I took each one up past 150,000 miles with no issues. Only after buying a house did I splurge on a new car - this time an Acura Legend, which was the Honda Legend in the UK. I presume others have already told you to stay away from the GMs, Fords and Chryslers for reliability reasons; if not, check out Consumer Reports reliability ratings. While Ford, GM, and Chrysler have narrowed the gap they are still not on a level with the Japanese cars. The German cars sit somewhere in between, with very high maintenance costs. As boring as it may sound, you can't go wrong with a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:24 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
While I was part of the chorus above saying don't lease, there is one alternative to consider.

IF you decide you want to go 'cheap' on the car (I don't recommend it but I don't know your financial situation) - let's say, many of the generic GM or Ford models in the <$20k range - to get a basic 'runaround town' model, then you could consider renting a nicer car for long trips.

As much as I advocate and enjoy long road trips, you don't want to be going on a 3,000 mile road trip in a daily runaround car - you'll hate the journey. In my case, my daily car was getting up there in the miles - 150,000 - and so I treated myself to a 'Hertz Prestige Collection' car for my long road trips. At varous times, I got an Audi A6 Quattro, a Jaguar, etc. This gave me the opportunity to check out the latest cars too on an 'extended test drive'. If you seek out special offers, you can get some surprising deals on these cars with unlimited miles.

Actually, I'd also recommend you consider a used car. Again, not knowing your financial situation, it's hard to comment but when I came here as a naive young soul at the age of 23, all I could afford was a used Honda Accord for $4k. That wonderful car lasted me about 5 years, then I replaced it with another Accord for $6k. I took each one up past 150,000 miles with no issues. Only after buying a house did I splurge on a new car - this time an Acura Legend, which was the Honda Legend in the UK. I presume others have already told you to stay away from the GMs, Fords and Chryslers for reliability reasons; if not, check out Consumer Reports reliability ratings. While Ford, GM, and Chrysler have narrowed the gap they are still not on a level with the Japanese cars. The German cars sit somewhere in between, with very high maintenance costs. As boring as it may sound, you can't go wrong with a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry.
You know that's what my family does as well. We keep our insurance low by having cheap point A to point B cars for just running around in the city. Whenever we go out of town we rent a car. In the long run you save money because most likely the cheap car will be paid off. Plus you won't have to pay collision on a car that is owned. All in all it pays off. Plus why take the depreciation hit when you drive off the lot. Get a good used one and be done with it.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:18 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You know that's what my family does as well. We keep our insurance low by having cheap point A to point B cars for just running around in the city. Whenever we go out of town we rent a car. In the long run you save money because most likely the cheap car will be paid off. Plus you won't have to pay collision on a car that is owned. All in all it pays off. Plus why take the depreciation hit when you drive off the lot. Get a good used one and be done with it.
I had to buy a new one because I could not and did not want to risk sitting on the side of the road and paying horrendous repair fees so I took the excess warranty out and mine is claimed back in my tax's as I am an independent contractor.
Yes if it was for around town and just the occasional trip then heck yes I would of bought a run around car for a few thousand bucks, but this way I have piece of mind.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

I'm looking at buying a car that will last me for a good few years. I have International Auto Source quoting me on the following cars

Audi A4
Audi S4
Infiniti G35
VW Passat VR6
VW R32
Dodge Avenger
Dodge Charger
Ford Taurus

Any views on the above cars? I used to have an Audi A4 and loved it (but your right about the repair costs!!)
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:36 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I had to buy a new one because I could not and did not want to risk sitting on the side of the road and paying horrendous repair fees so I took the excess warranty out and mine is claimed back in my tax's as I am an independent contractor.
Yes if it was for around town and just the occasional trip then heck yes I would of bought a run around car for a few thousand bucks, but this way I have piece of mind.
I can understand that. Especially when you are a female. It feels good knowing you won't be stuck on the side of the road and needed to depend on some stranger.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
VW Passat VR6
VW R32

Ford Taurus

Any views on the above cars? I used to have an Audi A4 and loved it (but your right about the repair costs!!)
Taurus is boring and shit.

Passat if mexican made not that reliable and wouldn't go for it, you could tell from the vin number though if they tell you...
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:41 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at buying a car that will last me for a good few years. I have International Auto Source quoting me on the following cars

Audi A4
Audi S4
Infiniti G35
VW Passat VR6
VW R32
Dodge Avenger
Dodge Charger
Ford Taurus

I personally like the Dodge Charger it was between that and the Milan and I chose the Milan as it was smaller and better on gas.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:49 am

[QUOTE=Bob;5653799]Taurus is boring and shit.

And ugly as shit lol
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

I personally like the Dodge Charger it was between that and the Milan and I chose the Milan as it was smaller and better on gas.
I like that to, but it got slated in the reviews I have read , I keep coming back to the cars I know like VW and Audi, for some reason I'm just not sure if I can buy a car I have never seen or driven!!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:56 am

I like that to, but it got slated in the reviews I have read , I keep coming back to the cars I know like VW and Audi, for some reason I'm just not sure if I can buy a car I have never seen or driven!!
I have had a few VW's and loved them all, good solid car and they hold thier value, to be honest it's in my opinion the safest bet for sure next to mine of course
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Audi A4
Audi S4
Infiniti G35
VW Passat VR6
VW R32
Dodge Avenger
Dodge Charger
Ford Taurus

Of those, the Audi S4 is by far the winner - but its $20-35k plus more than the rest! Not really comparable is it. A4, nothing wrong with them as you know, but not really anything special IMHO.

Personally I'm afraid I can't stand Infiniti's, (or Lexus's or Acuras, Lincolns, etc) - as they are complete manifestations of American marketing hype - how many ways can you sell something? They are just rebadged, restyled and spruced up "Cool" versions of their mainstream brand. Don't even exist (aside from Lexus) outside of the American (and middle/far eastern spin off) market, probably because the rest of the world isn't so easily duped. So save yourself a fortune and get the equivalent (loaded) Nissan - same car and nice enough.

The Passat, similar thoughts on that to the A4, would much rather have the R32 which has got abit of something about it.

Taurus - just no.

Charger - if you want a real 'merican style thing perhaps, make sure you go the whole hog and get the souped up one. Avenger doesnt appear to be anything special.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Dan725
Of those, the Audi S4 is by far the winner - but its $20-35k plus more than the rest! Not really comparable is it. A4, nothing wrong with them as you know, but not really anything special IMHO.

Personally I'm afraid I can't stand Infiniti's, (or Lexus's or Acuras, Lincolns, etc) - as they are complete manifestations of American marketing hype - how many ways can you sell something? They are just rebadged, restyled and spruced up "Cool" versions of their mainstream brand. Don't even exist (aside from Lexus) outside of the American (and middle/far eastern spin off) market, probably because the rest of the world isn't so easily duped. So save yourself a fortune and get the equivalent (loaded) Nissan - same car and nice enough.

The Passat, similar thoughts on that to the A4, would much rather have the R32 which has got abit of something about it.

Taurus - just no.

Charger - if you want a real 'merican style thing perhaps, make sure you go the whole hog and get the souped up one. Avenger doesnt appear to be anything special.
Only problem with the Nissan they are so basic inside and out, most of the models, there is just nothing to them, but for a cheapy then Nissan is OK having said that the new Morano is coming in at $36,000 when I test drove one and way to basic again, but you cannot compare a Nissan to VW different league in my opinion.

But lets be honest it depends on what you are prepared to fork out if the money were no option then I would have a new Merc in the drive way lol
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I would argue that a used (eg) Honda Accord, with maintenance records, etc, could be more reliable than a brand new (eg) Chrysler PT Cruiser. I quote that car specifically because two friends of mine bought it, and both have had nothing but trouble. People can argue against the styling and 'curb appeal'/snob factor of Japanese cars, but they have gotten the reliability thing down to a 'T'.

However, buying a new car has a psychological 'reassurance' element to it, and I don't blame you for doing so. I did he same - when looking for a replacement car recently, I was all set to buy a used Acura TL, but in the end, I dropped $35k for a brand new one because I wanted to be sure it was well looked after. Since I tend to keep my cars for a long time, I figured it was not a big waste.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:37 am

[QUOTE=Steerpike;5654003]I would argue that a used (eg) Honda Accord, with maintenance records, etc, could be more reliable than a brand new (eg) Chrysler PT Cruiser. I quote that car specifically because two friends of mine bought it, and both have had nothing but trouble. People can argue against the styling and 'curb appeal'/snob factor of Japanese cars, but they have gotten the reliability thing down to a 'T'.

Isn't the PT Cruiser yet another bloody ugly car, we used to use one as our courtesy car when I worked at an Airport, problem after problem, they always remind me of the an old war time car from the Waltons TV show lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.