Autosource

Old Aug 10th 2003, 8:34 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Question Autosource

I know this has been covered before but I can't find the post that mentions it. What kind of cars do Autosource offer? Is there a list or something? The official site seems to be down...either that or I have the wrong URL. Has anyone used them and are they good? Thanx.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 9:48 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Autosource

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I know this has been covered before but I can't find the post that mentions it. What kind of cars do Autosource offer? Is there a list or something? The official site seems to be down...either that or I have the wrong URL. Has anyone used them and are they good? Thanx.
Anything manufactured by Ford. (which is a huge choice - Focus to Aston Martin....)
Old Aug 10th 2003, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

RaymanInPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget Autosource and go to your local Ford dealer to buy a Focus. British love 'em. Americans hate them. Prices have dropped like a brick.

You can get the same spec Ford Focus in the US (albeit Mexican made rather than Spainish and German) for nearly half the UK list price.

Correction: Just in case you're in the UK and can't go to your local US Ford Dealer. Hire a car in the US for two weeks and buy one when you get over here.

Last edited by RaymanInPA; Aug 10th 2003 at 11:34 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 1:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autosource

Originally posted by tbiller
Anything manufactured by Ford. (which is a huge choice - Focus to Aston Martin....)
Sorry, it is not all Ford brands, only domestic US ones - i.e. Ford, Mercury, and I think, Lincoln.

However also included are all US domestic GM (Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, and I think Caddy, but not Saabs) and all domestic US Chrysler brands (Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, and Jeep, but not Mercs).

Here is the link (I hope that it works now): International Autosource

And why use them rather than visiting a regular US car dealer after you've arrived? .... Well, so long as you have a job confirmed you can get a regular credit deal, the same as any regular Joe with a US credit history (ultra-low interest rates, or even 0%), even if you have no US credit history. Well worth checking out!

In case anyone is worried about their credentials, International Autosource's primary business is supplying vehicles to members of the US armed forces - there is nothing remotely "dodgy" about this outfit.

.... And the last thing I heard is that they'll even do a "contingent" order - if you don't get your visa they'll cancel the order for you, which can be really handy if you are looking for an employment-based visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 11th 2003 at 1:07 am.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 2:31 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Pulaski, you're a diamond geezer! Thank you...that was exactly what I was looking for. Shame they don't do Toyotas but maybe I'll get myself a nice big Dodge! I was planning on maybe waiting till I got out there and getting my partner to help me get a car but I think we'll have enough to worry about like SSNs and bank accounts and I'll have to start working pretty quick, meaning I'll have to have a car pretty quick. It will be great to organize that before I leave. Thanx again.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently using autosource - I had seen them recommended by a couple of people on this site. They are (hopefully, once the paperwork has gone through) giving me credit on the first car (3.9% over 3 years) which is great because as you know, your UK credit rating is worth zero in the US. I am also getting a good deal on a second car for a cash sale.

As stated, part of the reasoning for doing this is cutting out the hassle once you get to the states i.e. going to dealers, finding the car, striking the deal etc. You'll have much better things to spend your time on. I'll be looking for a house for a start.

Price wise, they measure up real well. I checked out loads of prices via the latimes.com and I am very happy with the deal.

If I get refused a visa this time, they will refund my deposits. Staff have been great, very efficient.

All going well, I'll have 2 new cars in early October and I'll just hire one for the first few weeks I am without.

They also recommended insurers to call (PBL Brokerage) and I got a not bad quote.

For all those interested in insurance, the current list for me is

geico most expensive ($3000 for 6 months for both cars)
pbl mid price ($2300 for 6 months)
progressive - cheapess ($1700 for 6 months)

Have yet to try State Farm.

Good luck with everything.

ireland132
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:25 pm
Dreaming of the bay

Originally posted by ireland132
IFor all those interested in insurance, the current list for me is

Is it just me, or is car insurance in the USA incredibly expensive? Or is this a factor of having no no-claims discount, or having a new licence etc etc?

Cheers - Tim
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

No I believe US car insurance is very expensive. I assume that part of this is due to potential medical expenses after accidents and the litigious nature of US society and the number of cars on the road? Also, we are moving to LA, which doesn't help.

However to add to this, my wife and i will be at the bottom of the insurance pile, so to speak, as we have - in the eyes of the insurers - no US driving experience and will have just got our US licences.

I think we will be the equivalent of a 17 year old who has just passed their test.

Oh well. I suppose - if we drive safely - it should go down.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:35 pm
Dreaming of the bay

No I believe US car insurance is very expensive. I assume that part of this is due to potential medical expenses after accidents and the litigious nature of US society and the number of cars on the road? Also, we are moving to LA, which doesn't help.

However to add to this, my wife and i will be at the bottom of the insurance pile, so to speak, as we have - in the eyes of the insurers - no US driving experience and will have just got our US licences.

I think we will be the equivalent of a 17 year old who has just passed their test.

Oh well. I suppose - if we drive safely - it should go down.
That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the heads-up on Autosource. What are you buying?

Cheers - Tim
Old Aug 11th 2003, 5:00 pm
Rock Goddess

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting, ireland...that's really helpful. Let us know what happens and if the cars arrive ok. Good to know about the insurance too...less of a shock when I get a quote LOL.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 2:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl ....... It will be great to organize that before I leave. Thanx again.
Look sharp! You must sign up and pay a deposit before you arrive in the US to get the deal with Autosource.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Tim

In reply to your earlier post, I am buying a Ford Escape SUV (the UK equivalent is the Maverick) as our main family car and a very good value Ford Focus for my commuting car. I know that everyone will have opinions and comments on cars, but after various pieces of research into what I needed, I figured these should be good value to buy/run/insure/repair etc. I don't really need anything too flash and the Focus even has an mp3 player!

Autosource has a big choice 'though - I am sure you'll find something you like.

Good luck.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 9:14 am
Dreaming of the bay

Tim

In reply to your earlier post, I am buying a Ford Escape SUV (the UK equivalent is the Maverick) as our main family car and a very good value Ford Focus for my commuting car.
I rented an Escape when I was last over in May. My wife loved it and is looking into getting one for herself. (She liked it more than the Freelander I have in the UK - sob)

Thanks - Tim
Old Aug 13th 2003, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

[

For all those interested in insurance, the current list for me is

Have yet to try State Farm.

Good luck with everything.

ireland132
I also found Geico expensive and just insured on my wifes policy with State Farm. I managed to get coverage on an A4 Audi 2.8 for $730. $250 deductable, $5000 personal injury, so a run of the mill insurance policy really.

Rob
Old Aug 14th 2003, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

I will be getting in touch with a State Farm agent when we arrive.

Out of interest, what did you take as you other insurance limits e.g. amount your popicy will pay for other people's medical bills in event of accident, uninsured driver etc.

I have often been given 2 options

BODILY INJURY LIABILITY 30/60
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY 50M
UM & UNDERINSURED MOTORIS 30/60

or

BODILY INJURY LIABILITY 100/300
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY 50M
UM & UNDERINSURED MOTORIS 100/300

obviously the top one is cheaper, and one company said that was what he recommended for a married couple. Does this compare to what you have?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.