Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Automatic or Manual

Automatic or Manual

Old Aug 29th 2003, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Automatic or Manual

I was just wondering who out of this esteemed group has handled switching from a manul car back in blighty to the automatics over here. I know you can still get a manual over here but it seems that the ratio of autos to manuals is about 10:1 whereas it is reversed back home.

Do you miss driving a manual? Was it weird changing gear with your right hand if you have driven one over here? I own an auto but frequently borrow my friends manual just to remind myself how to drive a car properly!!! I just thought i'd throw it out there, no doubt the usual few will turn this into a rant about SUV's being the devil and blah blah blah, but its just sommething i've always thought about while only using my right foot!!
Peace
Have a good Labo'u'r Day
Old Aug 29th 2003, 7:46 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Automatic or Manual

never able to adjust to right-handed manuals, have an automatic SUV and that suits me just fine! When I go back to the UK I even insist on automatic rental cars (add an additional 100 quid to the bill for that one) as completely lost the manual touch!

you need all your concentration in the US to dodge the mad idiots on the roads
Old Aug 29th 2003, 7:46 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I was a devoted manuel driver, until I came to the U.S, now I much prefer Auto, that way I can sip on my mega value size coke without putting it down to change gear

Also in traffic, it would be a bugger having to keep your foot on the clutch, by the time I got home, I would need a new one every week.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Default i agree

i agree with you guys, when you have to drive everywhere it is much more convenient having an automatic, i do miss the manual though, i think i'll get one next time i get a car, it can make a huge difference in the price if you buy a new car (bought 800 bucks last time i looked at a new Civic) but my wife steadfastly refuses to let me teach her how to drive a "stick" so i may be reduced to autos my whole life!
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:02 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Automatics are more convienient here, especially in cities where you are constantly stopping and starting at stop signs and lights. I can't really see the point of having a manual.

I'm learning to drive here and am only going to use automatics. When we go to england for vacation, I'll be renting an automatic then too
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

floridagareth is an unknown quantity at this point

it great eating my wendys & talking on my cell oops mobile
and turning at junctions all at the same time i dont have interupt any thing....
autos any day
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales

you need all your concentration in the US to dodge the mad idiots on the roads
If I've read the posts on this thread correctly, driving an auto is whats creating all these mad idiots on the road, who now have a free hand to gulp down their happy meal, drink their cokes and talk on their cell phones!
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Default and another thing...

just to add to the above post, i do think the roads would be a lot safer over here if everyone was required to at least learn in a manual, it seems they give away liscences over here!!
Having said that, i failed first time for doing a 3 point turn instead of a "turnabout" (backing into a side round and going back the opposite direction), had no idea but the instructor turns to me and says "well its clear you can drive but you did an illegal procedure in Kentucky so i have to fail you'!!! I felt like a proper twat!!!
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Automoatics are great !! I personally couldnt get the hang of having a stick on my right hand side. Our dumptruck at work is manual and boy do i crunch the gears

Only downfall with an automatic is if your car is small it can feel like driving a go-cart !

Jan
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:47 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: and another thing...

Originally posted by lanky1980
just to add to the above post, i do think the roads would be a lot safer over here if everyone was required to at least learn in a manual, it seems they give away liscences over here!!
Having said that, i failed first time for doing a 3 point turn instead of a "turnabout" (backing into a side round and going back the opposite direction), had no idea but the instructor turns to me and says "well its clear you can drive but you did an illegal procedure in Kentucky so i have to fail you'!!! I felt like a proper twat!!!
And here I was thinking that I was a cop-out driving only an automatic. Hubby and son both will drive nothing but a stick. They swear it gives them more "control" (whatever that means ). To hear them talk you'd think only women drove automatics ...
Old Aug 29th 2003, 10:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like I'm an a minority of one. .... Manual every time!

I have the use of all four limbs, have reasonable coordination, and don't use my car as a mobile dining room or phone booth, why would I want an automatic?
Old Aug 30th 2003, 4:41 am
mwm
Forum Regular

mwm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i agree

Originally posted by lanky1980
i agree with you guys, when you have to drive everywhere it is much more convenient having an automatic, i do miss the manual though, i think i'll get one next time i get a car, it can make a huge difference in the price if you buy a new car (bought 800 bucks last time i looked at a new Civic) but my wife steadfastly refuses to let me teach her how to drive a "stick" so i may be reduced to autos my whole life!
I am going to show my husband these quotes as he was complaining that I was being a wimp not going for a manual ,I think his main problem was the extra money!Does anyone have an opinion on this Kia that they are advertising new at $8988?I'm a total blonde and have no idea about cars and hate the fact I have to buy one so I want a new basic cheap one.I'm assuming the kia must be like having a lada in britain but just want an A to B thing.Any thoughts?
Old Aug 30th 2003, 12:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mwm
...... Does anyone have an opinion on this Kia that they are advertising new at $8988? ......
The Kia is cheap and cheerful, and everyone will think that you are a student. They're probably OK, though I'd guess relatively noisy (small cars tend to suffer from engine noise and road noise due to poor sound insulation), but I've seen Ford dealers around here selling a new Focus for only a few hundred dollars more - and I'd take one of those any day of the week over a Kia. Ford's declared goal when they launched the Focus was to better the Volkswagen Golf's ride and quiteness, and get the doors to close with an "expensive sounding" clunk, rather than the clatter of most small cars' doors.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 30th 2003 at 1:42 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 1:18 pm
mwm
Forum Regular

mwm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pulaski
The Kia is cheap and cheerful, and everyone will think that you are a student. They're probably OK, though I'd guess relatively noisy (small cars tend to suffer from engine noise and road noise due to poor sound insulation), but I've seen Ford dealers around here selling a new Focus for only a few hundred dollars more - and I'd take one of those any day of the week over a Kia. Ford's declared goal when they launch the Focus was to better the Volkswagen Golf's ride and quiteness, and get the doors to close with an "expensive sounding" clunk, rather than the clatter of most small cars' doors.
I suspected this was the case,cheers for your advice.I'll take my husband out for a nice lunch and a couple of pints before we "accidentally" stop by the ford agent here
Old Aug 30th 2003, 5:29 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mwm
I am going to show my husband these quotes as he was complaining that I was being a wimp not going for a manual ,I think his main problem was the extra money!Does anyone have an opinion on this Kia that they are advertising new at $8988?I'm a total blonde and have no idea about cars and hate the fact I have to buy one so I want a new basic cheap one.I'm assuming the kia must be like having a lada in britain but just want an A to B thing.Any thoughts?
I drive a Kia Sorento SUV, and it is fantastic, for $25k you get what I consider the Lexus' less expensive cousin. Leather seats, moon (!) roof, heated seats, roof rack, heated side mirrors, big old engine...all the mod cons and accessories you'd ever need! And in case you haven't heard the ads, a 100,000 mile 10 year warranty!

I must admit the Kia brand did make me hesitate about buying, but everyone I know comments on what a great looking vehicle it is, it performs well and is a dream to drive. the value for money factor is outstanding. I had CR-V before for only 2 grand less, it had the handling of a tin can on wheels.

Personally, I think that the Ford Focus is great in the UK to buzz around in, but here it tends to get swamped by the other behemoth's on the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.