Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto Insurance help - another one of those threads!

Auto Insurance help - another one of those threads!

Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Auto Insurance help - another one of those threads!

Hello,
We are close to buying our first car (used 4 year old model) and have got auto insurance quotes from State Farm, Farmers and All State. The way I read the quotes, All State seems to have the best quote and ironically has the cheapest.

Could you recommend, based on your experience, if All State is a decent coverage provider. Of course I know, any insurance is good until a claim happens! I just wanted to know if you could share your experience. Any other resources I can read up so I can finalize my decision?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:00 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto Insurance help - another one of those threads!

I can only speak from experience and say that Allstate have been fine for us, but then we haven't had to make a claim yet!

There was one administrative screw-up earlier this year but their customer service teams were like little terriers getting it sorted so I give them full marks on situation recovery, albeit they created the situation in the first place.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

Have you tried to buy online....you can customize your quote's...allstate will get you best price to start, but like other company's wll raise premiums frequently.......
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by osgood
Have you tried to buy online....you can customize your quote's...allstate will get you best price to start, but like other company's wll raise premiums frequently.......
i am going to keep an eye on that increases. If anything they should go down for me. I am paying massive insurance being new here.

At the moment, online quotes are expensive for me given my US license is not even 3 months old. Agents seem to take into consideration the overseas experience. I am going to call AAA tonight though.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Get a quote from Progressive as well, we found them much cheaper than any of the three you name.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I have had claims from State Farm and a liability claim against Progressive and both came through great.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Hello,
We are close to buying our first car (used 4 year old model) and have got auto insurance quotes from State Farm, Farmers and All State. The way I read the quotes, All State seems to have the best quote and ironically has the cheapest.

Could you recommend, based on your experience, if All State is a decent coverage provider. Of course I know, any insurance is good until a claim happens! I just wanted to know if you could share your experience. Any other resources I can read up so I can finalize my decision?

Thanks in advance.
AllState used to have a bad reputation -- Consumer Reports, etc. My understanding is that they finally got their act together on claims service.

Do look at Consumer Reports.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:00 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

At the moment, online quotes are expensive for me given my US license is not even 3 months old. Agents seem to take into consideration the overseas experience.
Be careful that the agents aren't simply entering it as US experience and lying to you. You might find yourself stuffed if you had to make a claim.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Be careful that the agents aren't simply entering it as US experience and lying to you. You might find yourself stuffed if you had to make a claim.
Thanks a lot all.

Well, I have been categorical in letting them know I have no experience here. In fact, I have US temporary license and they asked for that # so surely before they bind me to the policy they would have checked? In fact I know All State had issues insuring me at all with no US license. I then sent them my US temp license, Australian lic. THats when they agreed to bind me.

Also, I have been upfront with Farmers and State Farm. I can only do as much. Fact is, if I compare myself with my family who roughly have same years in experience in US driving, they insurance is half than my quote....
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
AllState used to have a bad reputation -- Consumer Reports, etc. My understanding is that they finally got their act together on claims service.

Do look at Consumer Reports.
THanks, could you post a URL please?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I have had claims from State Farm and a liability claim against Progressive and both came through great.
Me too!
Except I hated dealing with Progressive. I actually heart my State Farm people.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I actually heart my State Farm people.
Just a few months ago, Sheila and I switched from Allstate to State Farm. Nothing against Allstate's claim process (we've had Allstate for at least 13 years)... they've been super good with any claim we've had, but they are massively overpriced even with both our auto and home insurance through them. I'm now saving about $700 per year with State Farm for the exact same coverage.

Ian
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just a few months ago, Sheila and I switched from Allstate to State Farm. Nothing against Allstate's claim process (we've had Allstate for at least 13 years)... they've been super good with any claim we've had, but they are massively overpriced even with both our auto and home insurance through them. I'm now saving about $700 per year with State Farm for the exact same coverage.

Ian
Thanks Ian.

For now, All State seem to have the best quote ($$ wise) and coverage wise.....So I am thinking along those lines.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:11 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

In fact I know All State had issues insuring me at all with no US license.
I've said it before and...

Everything seems to depend, state by state and person by person, who you deal with. When I arrived Allstate (or rather the Allstate office I dealt with ) quite happily insured me on the basis of a foreign licence - no US learner's permit or anything US-based required.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Could you recommend, based on your experience, if All State is a decent coverage provider.
I had coverage with Allstate for over 30 years for auto, house, umbrella. I had a few claims, and I always got payment with no problems. Recently used a broker to find new coverage purely because of costs, not because of service. They seemed to offer a zillion incentives to new customers, and had no interest in cutting costs for someone who had worked with them for decades.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.