Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance

Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

AmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud of
Default Re: Auto Insurance

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I think if that happened everyone in Cleveland would gladly help you out with money and legal council.

The only reason I asked was if it really is good coverage then it would be worth my while checking it out to see if I can save some cash.
Just been given an outragous car insurance quote!

Tried to find the AIG/Travelguard web site but it seems to be only doing travel insurance...(obviously looking in the wrong place!!)

Can you please point me in the right direction!!

Thanks
Ax
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:40 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.aig.com/auto-insurance-re..._20_20401.html
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

AmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud ofAmandaLS has much to be proud of

Thank you so much...speedy person
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:49 pm
msw
Just Joined

msw is an unknown quantity at this point

HI,
We have just moved to New Jersey from the UK. We previously lived (and drove!) in the US (California for 3 years). We are just starting to look into arranging car insurance. Does anyone know if our previous US driving experience will be taken into account? And..are there any comparison websites for car insurance quotes?
We are looking into buying a SUV type 4 wheel drive (due to snow in NJ) - does anyone have any advice on things we should consider with our car purchase re the impact on insurance...

I had forgotten how much more expensive car insurance is over here?! ouch!
Old Apr 1st 2011, 7:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSBlake
I got:

Bodily Injury $200/500,000 person/accident

Property Damage $200,000 each accident

Personal Injury Protection Med Exp. W/250 ded

Uninsured Motorist $200/500,000 person/accident

Other Than Collision 250 Deductible

Collision 250 Deductible

Towing & Labor Covered by Honda

I think this is pretty good coverage/deductible - but perhaps its not..........I told them I or wife haven't had an accident in 20 years and I think they listened.
anyone can get any coverage they want with pretty much any deductible they want.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msw

I had forgotten how much more expensive car insurance is over here?! ouch!
You don't say when you were last in the US.

And yeah, you can help get a second hand banger that's loaded with as many safety features as possible and park it off street, in a decent location.

You also don't really need a 4x4...a car with decent tyres will put you in a better position than being a shit driver in a 4x4, because it won't help you steer or stop any better than a regular car and you're more liking to roll one....but if you insist, Suburu aren't bad and low to the ground.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Houston Bound
This is a very general question but can anyone give me a rough estimate on what it will cost to insure a suv and a sedan for 2 newbie drivers with no status whatsoever in the US?
We paid about $900 per vehicle for 6 months insurance for a 5 year old crappy Saturn Relay and a 5 year old Chevy Impala when we first got here in 2009. Both mid-30s, 1 prang in the last five years (it wasn't me...). We used Progressive as they were (for us) the cheapest of the few ones we found that would take our UK licenses before we'd got TX licenses. We didn't look into the AIG deal (but looking at other responses we should have).

We now use Geico as they give us a multi-policy discount and a good price (until they cancel our homeowners for having a trampoline) - it costs about $135 a month for the same cover we had with Progressive (Comp with $500 deductible and $500k liab). The Progressive price had come down with each renewal but not by as much as we could get by shopping around.

Another thing to build into those living costs especially in the first year or two.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSBlake
I went with AIG - $400 to sign up and then $250 for 6 mths (for very good coverage) on a new leased CRV EXL. The same coverage was about $1250 for 6 mths with the "usual" US companies such as Progressive etc.

So for us the $400 joining fee for AIG/TravelGuard was a bargain.
Just interested in your post. Did you have any problem getting the car lease. We had thought about going down this road, but assumed without a decent credit history here in the States, we wouldn't have a chance. We've been here 14 months nearly and have only just go a credit score. Just interested if you can give me any more info on that. Thank you.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Just interested in your post. Did you have any problem getting the car lease. We had thought about going down this road, but assumed without a decent credit history here in the States, we wouldn't have a chance. We've been here 14 months nearly and have only just go a credit score. Just interested if you can give me any more info on that. Thank you.
You don't want a lease, they're crap, unless you live next door to work and won't use the car at all.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

Just wanted to add my two penneth to this thread...warning: this might not be very constructive, I just need to get this ludicrous rubbish off my chest!

Just got my insurance renewal - it's $500.12 for just six months for a 4 year old car that's worth about $6000. That's the entire value of the car in six years. Or less, if you assume the car will be pretty much worthless in six years' time.

For anyone moving from UK to USA and wondering how much it'll cost to insure their car, just look at what you've probably been paying to insure your Lamborghini collection in the UK for the past twenty or so years, add all those years' payments together and that might just about approach what you'll be paying for an old banger for six months here. Insurance is never quoted per year here - the figures would make even the Donald Trumps of the world cry.

I just checked Geico and Progressive - I could opt to go with one of them and get LESS coverage for a frankly taking-the-piss $1600 per year! (Sorry - $800 per 6 months!)
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Brat1

We did get a car lease for 15k miles a year over 3 years but instead of it being $350 (if were a US citizen with a good credit score) it was $500 month - had to provide a letter from my employer stating my salary. It's a lot to pay for a CRV but by that point I just wanted a car (as was paying $200 a week for a rental). I also didn't want to buy and have a $30k asset here as it would be up to me to sell if this move didn't work out, and a CRV is a very common car........

With a lease I can always contact Honda Finance and come to "some agreement" over a settlement figure if moving back to the UK - I'd tell them they can go after me if they want but my wife's a litigator and I'm willing to pay a sensible figure (my work would pay upto $3k........)

I got the CRV from Honda Westport CT.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

ladybutterfly444 is an unknown quantity at this point

For anyone living in California I have found Wawanesa Insurance to be far cheaper than any other company out there, and its very good coverage too! They also quote you a yearly price as opposed to most other companies that quote a 6 monthly price. For full coverage on my 2007 Nissan Sentra I pay $900 a year! Go to
https://general.wawanesa.com/secure/...html?kid=1A8P4
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
Just got my insurance renewal - it's $500.12 for just six months for a 4 year old car that's worth about $6000. That's the entire value of the car in six years. Or less, if you assume the car will be pretty much worthless in six years' time.
Are you sure all that coverage is for replacing your vehicle if you wreck it? Or is it liability so that if your banger runs into my Lamborghini, you can replace/repair that? Or (hint hint) if your banger maims a pedestrian or is the cause of other sure-to-be-hefty medical bills?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
Just wanted to add my two penneth to this thread...warning: this might not be very constructive, I just need to get this ludicrous rubbish off my chest!

For anyone moving from UK to USA and wondering how much it'll cost to insure their car, just look at what you've probably been paying to insure your Lamborghini collection in the UK for the past twenty or so years, add all those years' payments together and that might just about approach what you'll be paying for an old banger for six months here. Insurance is never quoted per year here - the figures would make even the Donald Trumps of the world cry.

I just checked Geico and Progressive - I could opt to go with one of them and get LESS coverage for a frankly taking-the-piss $1600 per year! (Sorry - $800 per 6 months!)
So basically the equivalent of 600gbp for a years fully comprehensive cover - doesn't sound too bad to me?? And it doesn't just cover your car does it, it also covers third party liability.

Where can you 20 years cover in the UK for a fleet of Lambo's for 600gbp???
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

SnoopJohnnyJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got a quote of $434 per 6 months on a brand new 2012 Mustang V6 Premium using AIG (obviously there's the $400 membership too). I'm moving to Reno, NV in 2 weeks and the car will be delivered 2 weeks after that...

I don't know if that helps or not, but man I love telling people I've just bought a new Mustang! :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.