Austin Tx driving licence

Austin Tx driving licence

Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Walkerhome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Austin Tx driving licence

Originally Posted by Owen778
Sorry, most of your post is wrong.

The DPS website is clear that you are only allowed to drive with an out-of-state license for up to 90 days. You can't drive on an international license for a year, and, as Pulaski says, there is no point having one if you already have a UK license.
TxDPS - Moving to Texas

Do you have personal experience of getting a license with an ITIN? Because the Texas DPS requirements include evidence of your SSN. And it makes little sense for someone to need a driving license in the US without also requiring a SSN.

The full requirements are:
- Verify Texas residency (i.e. proof of address - 2 different documents)
- Verify US citizenship or lawful presence (none of the examples they give apply to non-immigrants, but likely you would need passport, visa and I-94. Possibly they will also want to see the I-797 for your visa too)
- Verify your identity (passport, visa, I-94)
- Verify your SSN (no reference is made to ITIN)
See here:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...orms/DL-57.pdf
Don't be sorry !
I am just telling you first hand experience. Living in Austin
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Walkerhome
Yes i do for my daughter. She was on a L2 dependent ( unable to obtain a SSN ) so they asked for an ITIN instead of the SSN.
That does make more sense. But if you're eligible to have an SSN, I'd be very surprised if they let you use an ITIN instead.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

That does make more sense. But if you're eligible to have an SSN, I'd be very surprised if they let you use an ITIN instead.
Quite! but then you would have a SSN wouldn't you
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite! but then you would have a SSN wouldn't you
Agreed. But your comment was addressed to someone who thinks he's going to be on an L1 visa, and he can get an SSN.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Goodlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed. But your comment was addressed to someone who thinks he's going to be on an L1 visa, and he can get an SSN.
Yes I'll be on a L1a visa... I'm not sure what a Itin is...
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Goodlad is an unknown quantity at this point

So would I be picking up the L1 visa in USA or do I pick up from USA embassy in London?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Goodlad
Yes I'll be on a L1a visa... I'm not sure what a Itin is...
As I said, before, Google is your friend.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

So would I be picking up the L1 visa in USA or do I pick up from USA embassy in London?
After your interview at the London consulate, you leave them your passport. They courier it back to you with the visa inside. Once you get it back, you can travel to the US.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be sorry !
I am just telling you first hand experience. Living in Austin
He was just being polite.

Your "first hand experience" is mostly of the wrong way to do it, and if you were driving beyond 90 days on an "international license" then you were running a very real risk of being found to be driving without a valid license, and all that entails (see my earlier post). It is unconscionable that you would encourage others to put themselves in the same position.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here!!

They have blocked the site from UK it appears which doesn't help...but I'm led to believe after my L1 visa will come the SSN and yes it's required....
I've been offered the position but am in the negotiating stage about salary as the offered salary in Austin is less than what I earn now in UK

And how difficult is test...my friend has downloaded the handbook in USA and has emailed to me and I've printed it....
Beats me why txdps have blocked UK ips
Once you move here, you will soon realise that a lot of USA IP addresses are blocked but normally related to media, like all the TV channels in the UK.

I wouldn't worry too much about your driver's license, where you live and which schools your kids go to are much more urgent. The TX driving test is doddle, you will pass the Knowledge test and the practical first time.

Your wife will need to apply for a ITIN or (SSN+EAD,if she wants to work) to get a driver's license but until you have your visa, you will not be able to apply for it. It will be needed for your taxes and banking as well - here is link about it. When we arrived the kids didn't need this to enroll in school but might be require now as immigration is such a hot button issue at the moment. Petitefrancaise might know more about that as she is a recent arrival. They will require a ITIN before you do your taxes in 2016

Have a good look see visit and hope you have a good guide. The weather is perfect at the moment. Austin will be busy this weekend with the F1 in town.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

This was the order of play for us in the last year...
L1/2 visas granted
Look/see visit :
a. Bank Account sorted out - you can't do much without money
b. Money transferred into bank account, sufficient to pay 1 months rent in advance + 1 months' rent as deposit.
c.House found and lease signed (you need this to register at the school)
d. Schools visited and children registered (all documentation was prepared by me in advance - info on school websites) Note, in Texas at least, you do not have to prove immigration status to register at school.
e. utilities arranged - electricity and water both required deposits of about $200 each + copies of the lease
f. kids medical records taken to local medical centre and transcribed to figure out which vaccines they would need to have before entering school.
MARGARITA time...

After arriving.
Kids taken to school and properly registered
mobile phones sorted out (T-mobile prepaid with our own phones)
Internet/home phone (Time warner at the time didn't require a deposit and were ok with new arrivals - Google fiber available v soon...)
SSN office - wait for number to arrive
Driving license exchanged (me = french one)
L2 visa for me so EAD applied for (took a month to arrive)
Green card medicals done
GC paperwork sent off
GC arrived 3 months later.

And the weather in Austin this week is just lovely!!
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He was just being polite.

Your "first hand experience" is mostly of the wrong way to do it, and if you were driving beyond 90 days on an "international license" then you were running a very real risk of being found to be driving without a valid license, and all that entails (see my earlier post). It is unconscionable that you would encourage others to put themselves in the same position.
"My first hand experience" - I was relating to my daughter having to get her license with a ITIN.!
Not always a good idea to double quote my friend

Agree Austin weather is perfect as is Austin itself.

Last edited by Walkerhome; Oct 28th 2014 at 11:51 pm.