Reload this Page >

Austin, TX - driving - and J-1 visas

Austin, TX - driving - and J-1 visas

Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

dearbarbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Austin, TX - driving - and J-1 visas

Hi everyone

I'm currently in the process of fulfilling a lifelong dream of living in the US for a while - only 6 months - and have secured myself an internship in Austin.

Now, I know that in the US everyone generally needs to drive...so I plan on learning (I live in London, UK, am 30, but have had no need to pass my test until now)...

I've visited Austin on holiday previously and got taxis/buses everywhere but for living, would you recommend I drive, if anyone here is from Austin/knows it?

I'll be working on S Lamar and living near there/not too far from Downtown. The internship is unpaid so I'd like to minimise my outgoings and avoid getting a car especially as I'll only be there for 6 months. It seems like buses are good in Austin, and cycling is actively encouraged?

I won't be going til the end of this year so have plenty of time to get my J-1 visa sorted, anyone got any tips?

Thanks in advance - it's nice to post instead of lurk for once!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austin, TX - driving - and J-1 visas

Originally Posted by dearbarbie
Hi everyone

I'm currently in the process of fulfilling a lifelong dream of living in the US for a while - only 6 months - and have secured myself an internship in Austin.

Now, I know that in the US everyone generally needs to drive...so I plan on learning (I live in London, UK, am 30, but have had no need to pass my test until now)...

I've visited Austin on holiday previously and got taxis/buses everywhere but for living, would you recommend I drive, if anyone here is from Austin/knows it?

I'll be working on S Lamar and living near there/not too far from Downtown. The internship is unpaid so I'd like to minimise my outgoings and avoid getting a car especially as I'll only be there for 6 months. It seems like buses are good in Austin, and cycling is actively encouraged?

I won't be going til the end of this year so have plenty of time to get my J-1 visa sorted, anyone got any tips?

If you do decide to get a car, and sorry, I don't know Austin well enough to advise you on that, below is a link to a chart that shows you what documents you need to present to the DPS according to which visa you'll be on (J1 in you case)
DPS in Texas are notorious for not knowing their @rses from their elbows so make sure YOU know what you need to show them and what you're entitled to receive , as in the duration your license should last.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...tatusChart.pdf
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

How are you going to support yourself for 6 months doing unpaid work? Have you got lots of savings?

Your main problem with getting a car (if you are intending to buy one) is that you are unlikely to get insurance - or if you did it is going to be hugely expensive. You have no credit history and are only in the US on a temporary visa.

Isn't your prospective company getting the J-1 visa for you?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No idea the practicalities of public transport down there, but getting a license still makes sense, get it in the UK and then drive on that in Austin? You'd still be a visitor at a guess, but that's something to look into.

If there's Zipcar down there or something similar, that would probably work better than buying a car for such a short period of time.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

You can get around the centre of Austin really well, buses and now a limited light rail system, very cheaply. However, I would get a UK license as you might want to rent a car to get anywhere outside of Central Austin. I remember when we first moved here we looked at a map and thought Fredericksburg (a tourist town outside Austin and in the Hill country) looks nearby. It was 70 miles away
Just come back from a road trip to Denver,(our son moved there at the weekend) and it took 10hrs just to get out of Texas! Its a big place.
For getting about Austin, invest in a good bike, even in the summer when the heat in the high 90's, low 100's, that is the way most students get around.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
I remember when we first moved here we looked at a map and thought Fredericksburg (a tourist town outside Austin and in the Hill country) looks nearby. It was 70 miles away
That is nearby by Texas standards
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:50 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Your main problem with getting a car (if you are intending to buy one) is that you are unlikely to get insurance - or if you did it is going to be hugely expensive. You have no credit history and are only in the US on a temporary visa.
Having no credit history and being on a temporary visa probably won't be too disastrous in terms of car insurance. I'm on a J2 and my insurance isn't all that bad (in CA).

The kicker in this situation will be being a totally newly-qualified driver. I assume that's going to cost a packet.

Also, it seems crazy to buy a car for six months, but the OP probably won't be able to lease one. I've heard good things about Zipcar, but I don't know their regulations for new drivers. Still, at least it sounds like Austin has good public transport. I had a friend (also J1) in Dallas who always had to take a taxi to the supermarket.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Isn't your prospective company getting the J-1 visa for you?
Yup, I wasn't really sure if the OP was asking for advice on getting the visa, or general advice for preparing for the move.

The employer has to do most of the visa prep at first, and must send the employee a DS-2019 form.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi

Yup, I wasn't really sure if the OP was asking for advice on getting the visa, or general advice for preparing for the move.

The employer has to do most of the visa prep at first, and must send the employee a DS-2019 form.
Thanks for all your kind advice...I think I'll learn to drive anyway as I should grow up at some point! But yes, it's reassuring to hear that Austin is pretty non-drive friendly. I guess I'm asking all kinds of non-related questions!

The company can get the visa for me, but I looked at going through BUNAC where they act as my sponsor instead of the place I will be working - but they will liaise with my host company to get my DS-2019, my training plan and everything. There must be a cheaper way though.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:18 am
Just Joined

And yes, I have shares maturing in October, so plan to go after that as the work is unpaid! AAAnnndd I'm saving up. Thankfully the cost of living in TX is much cheaper than London UK!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:18 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

And yes, I have shares maturing in October, so plan to go after that as the work is unpaid! AAAnnndd I'm saving up. Thankfully the cost of living in TX is much cheaper than London UK!
Do some serious research into living costs before you come. Check city-data.com for Austin living costs. Some things will be cheaper than London but some things will be shocking. Electric in the Summer months (even in an apartment) can run up to $200 and above per month. Car insurance could be $100 per month or more as a brand new driver. I find grocery shopping comparable with UK.

I would recommend a car - if you are excited about living in the US and not just coming to do a 6 month stint and then get the hell out you might want to see some of the surrounding area. Public Transport is pretty awful and even going to a mall, restaurant or grocery store could be a 30 mile drive. If you are living in downtown Austin with your apartment close to your work and a grocery store you could 'get by' but it wouldn't be a lot of fun. Things are really stretched out over here!

If you are going to be loaded no problem but definitely do some research. We heard the 'Texas is so cheap' story before we came but we find our monthly bills comparable with the UK. That said we get much more bang for our buck - bigger house, nicer cars etc.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Do some serious research into living costs before you come. Check city-data.com for Austin living costs. Some things will be cheaper than London but some things will be shocking. Electric in the Summer months (even in an apartment) can run up to $200 and above per month. Car insurance could be $100 per month or more as a brand new driver. I find grocery shopping comparable with UK.

I would recommend a car - if you are excited about living in the US and not just coming to do a 6 month stint and then get the hell out you might want to see some of the surrounding area. Public Transport is pretty awful and even going to a mall, restaurant or grocery store could be a 30 mile drive. If you are living in downtown Austin with your apartment close to your work and a grocery store you could 'get by' but it wouldn't be a lot of fun. Things are really stretched out over here!

If you are going to be loaded no problem but definitely do some research. We heard the 'Texas is so cheap' story before we came but we find our monthly bills comparable with the UK. That said we get much more bang for our buck - bigger house, nicer cars etc.
Thanks - where in TX are you?

I've been looking on CD and Craigslist, and looking at houseshares with included bills mostly so I can budget better. I got a bus to a mall last time I was in Austin, was staying nr Highland but got a bus to a mall in the South of the city, didn't bother me - I think because the public transport takes so long to get even 3 miles (takes me one hour on a bus here in London) here I shouldn't find it too hard to adjust.

Have been looking at the car club schemes though and they want a US driving license.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Look at her avatar... it's just under there!

Have been looking at the car club schemes though and they want a US driving license.
You'll want to start thinking like a Yank... just because they say they want something, it doesn't necessarily follow that that's all they'll accept.

Ian
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking on CD and Craigslist, and looking at houseshares with included bills mostly so I can budget better. I got a bus to a mall last time I was in Austin, was staying nr Highland but got a bus to a mall in the South of the city, didn't bother me - I think because the public transport takes so long to get even 3 miles (takes me one hour on a bus here in London) here I shouldn't find it too hard to adjust.

Public transport is fine in the city if that's all you're concerned with. A car will come into it's own if you wanted to go some place like Marble Falls or Round Rock. Both look quite close on the map but are probably about 30-40 miles out. You can't do that by bus.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:08 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Houston. We have been through to Austin and really liked what we saw. It definitely has more of a relaxed 'town' feel although it is still spread out. Houston 'proper' is a big concrete block and to be honest unless you work there you don't really need to be there. Everything else spreads out in all directions.

I definitely have a car drivers mentality. If I decide to go to Galveston for the day we jump in and we are there in about 45 mins. Same goes if we want to go to a baseball game or a cinema, I don't want to have to think about how I am going to get there. Also Houston public transport is almost non existent and taxis cost a fortune, maybe Austin has it together a bit better. Also I don't fancy hanging around bus stops in 100 degree heat. I know, I know I am spoiled
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=lisa67;10001312]That is nearby by Texas standards [/quote it LOL, yes, after 12 yrs here, that's like the next town in Scotland - 70 miles = 5 miles We didn't even go to Glasgow often as it was the big town in the west (45 miles away) and almost as far going to the in-laws. Now its hop, skip and a jump!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.