Austin TX

Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough
Default Austin TX

We may well be moving there this summer. I'm visiting for a couple of days next month, but would appreciate the scoop on Austin as a place to live The good, the bad and the ugly.....
Cheers.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austin TX

Lived here 8 years, and been visiting since 1988.

Good:-Mild winters
  • Hill Country
  • Cost of living
  • Cheaper housing, esp. outside of central Austin/close-in to downtown
  • No state income tax (but see below)
  • Friendly people (esp. if you are aligned religiously or politically)
  • Top rated schools (esp outside of AISD i.e. Round Rock, Georgetown)
  • Relatively low crime (but see below)
  • Still has small-town feel

Bad:-
  • Hotter than hell in the summer (summer is Feb-Nov). 68 days over 100 and 100 days over 90 last year, and it doesn’t even begin to cool off at night
  • Not a whole lot to do, esp. for kids, the summer is too hot for them to play outside
  • Not that I care but apparently not much pro sports
  • Utilities (esp. electricity for A/C) are mind-bending expensive (I average $500 in electricity from June-Sept and $200 for water)
  • Pay is deemed to be lower due to lots of graduates at UT
  • Not as much hi-tech as you might expect
  • Some bad parts of town are east of I35 downtown and around Rundberg
  • No basements - Get ready to rent a lockup for all your 'stuff'
  • Oasis in a sea of mediocrity (20 miles in any direction is the boonies, complete with rednecks, guns and trucks)
  • Sales tax of 8.25%
  • Property tax is very high. My 3,800 sq.ft house is over $9K
  • Allergy capitol of the US. Cedar is really bad
  • Going anywhere is a long drive or a connecting flight through DFW/IAH
  • A little bit over-hyped IMHO.
  • Getting crowded. Lots of CA, AZ and FL transplants.
  • Traffic. Lots of. I35 runs straight through the middle and is always gridlocked
  • Weather can be unpredictable – you can pretty much have 4 seasons in 1 day – I’ve had 2 new roofs in 7 years due to hail damage.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Tim. You haven't put me off so far!

* A bigger garage will compensate for the damp basements around here!
* We average 100 days below freezing as a trade for 100 days above 90!
* We're not moving with kids.
* Not job hunting, so not worried about lower wages (for now!).
* We'd noticed the high property taxes, but I guess no state income tax is the trade off.
* We pay $500 a month for heating oil in the winter.

Looking forward to visiting
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janj
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Tim. You haven't put me off so far!

* A bigger garage will compensate for the damp basements around here!
* We average 100 days below freezing as a trade for 100 days above 90!
* We're not moving with kids.
* Not job hunting, so not worried about lower wages (for now!).
* We'd noticed the high property taxes, but I guess no state income tax is the trade off.
* We pay $500 a month for heating oil in the winter.

Looking forward to visiting

Janj

Sending you a PM.........
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Janj

Sending you a PM.........
Cheers Sugarmooma - I just replied!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janj
Cheers Sugarmooma - I just replied!
Well, what's the big secret?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain

Busted

I was trying to convince her to move to Houston instead.......
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:08 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Busted

I was trying to convince her to move to Houston instead.......
Vote 2 for Houston Looks like I'm staying for the foreseeable

Haven't been through to Austin janj - sorry can't help with that one.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Vote 2 for Houston Looks like I'm staying for the foreseeable

Haven't been through to Austin janj - sorry can't help with that one.

Get ye to them there hills lady The scenery is alot prettier than around here mate!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:22 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Get ye to them there hills lady The scenery is alot prettier than around here mate!
Will do when the out-laws come to visit in June - last time had to go to San An to see the Alamo!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only spent a very rowdy weekend with 2 girlfriends in Austin....bats, music, students, bats, good fish n chips at an Irish pub, bats, 6th street..that's all I remember!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
I've only spent a very rowdy weekend with 2 girlfriends in Austin....bats, music, students, bats, good fish n chips at an Irish pub, bats, 6th street..that's all I remember!
Bats?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:15 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Bats?
I was just thinking the same thing maybe us up here on the West coast are missing out on something!!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Burn1911
I was just thinking the same thing maybe us up here on the West coast are missing out on something!!

This might help.........

http://www.io.com/house/bats.html
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:41 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

This might help.........

http://www.io.com/house/bats.html
Damn.

I thought it was going to be something kinky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.