Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Aussie Cringe

Aussie Cringe

Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aussie Cringe

AFL players running through the paper banner at the beginning of a game always makes me cringe.

Bare filthy feet,

Bald top of the head, a mullet and goatee combined on one man are a nice look too LOL,

Men wearing really short shorts and worn down thongs. Very fetching, NOT.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
My particular beef is the cringeworthiness of the about to be Aussies. Wanting to go to Oz - what the hell is it with the yellow brick road thing? it's Australia for heavens' sake - say Oz in Australia and the locals will look at you like you just stepped out of a pumpkin. Also, what is it with this Live the Dream type thing? - the fine line between dream and nightmare always makes me think people should be wholly awake before they set off for their "New Life". Hey, I dont know what they think a 24 hour plane ride will do to their lives! Make them all as rich as Donald Trump and look like Elle McPherson??? Give their kids brains that they didnt have in UK????

Heck, I dont know why even thinking about Australia and the image it promotes to the world, wants me cringe - and want to throw up!

OK vent over, I just needed to get that out of my system!
Yikes Quoll, when's your next trip home? Sounds like you're ready for it!

Last edited by 3 go mad in Adelaide; Aug 17th 2009 at 7:11 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deadlock
i worked with a guy who was giving me a bit of verbal for being english so i gave it back twice as hard and he said "i know you blokes (english) have the bulldog spirit but over here we have "the cattle dog spirit" !! wtf!

also the saying "have a teaspoon of concrete and harden up"

the words bogan and larikin
Agree in general, but must object about the word bogan - they REALLY do need that word in their vocabulary!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
Agree in general, but must object about the word bogan - they REALLY do need that word in their vocabulary!
To deny Australia the word 'bogan' would be 'un-australian'
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
Yikes Quoll, when's your next trip home? Sounds like you're ready for it!
LOL, was ready for it yesterday. Am thinking of Christmas but DS was talking about coming here for Christmas and I dont know if he will get leave or not (I suspect not) so plans much up in the air at the mo. I do always feel better if I have a trip booked or planned at least.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
What made you realise . Aaarrrggh! I need to get out of this place.What was it that made you feel that you were in a ehem! "strange country"
BTW I'm not a lower middle class Englishman.
First can I say I have read all of the 3 pages so far and I have had a really good chuckle...made my day!!! I just want to say "What made you realise"........all of the replies to this question are my answers...and a lot more....lol....great therapy.....this though really gets my goat.....Icon....and then Aussie Icon.......I have to breath very slowly when I read that....lol...now an Icon here can be an AFL player,Rugby Player....Movie Star...oh anything....and I get really fed up when I read "I love Australia and will move back one day to raise my kids....just here because of the work" this is usually said by actors,musicians being interviewed for an Australian Magazine (which I honestly only read if I have really,really nothing else to read)...what a load of ...well I will be polite..."tosh".....if your rich and famous you don't need to be overseas and also listening to Aussies in America..they have a slight American accent, Aussies in the U.K they are a slight English accent but low and behold when the same actoros are being interviewed in Australia they sound like Crocodile Dundee...what the.....oh one last thing...the AFL advert on Fox....(played with Irish music) "It's the Fastest, Toughest...biggest game on Earth"...now that is a down right lie...but what the heck the Aussies believe it and there in I end my case....wow do I feel better....
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:45 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Common question in Vancouver? "Is that an australian accent?" me: "no, nz" them: "oh that's better, I don't really like Ozzies". They're seen as full of themselves..
I used to get that in Van, with a London accent.

To be honest Vancouverites can also be a tad irritating with their constant, how wonderful is this place attitude.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

What made you realise . Aaarrrggh! I need to get out of this place.What was it that made you feel that you were in a ehem! "strange country"
the almost tribal/ third-world way many of them wander the streets/shops eg barefoot, shirtless, in pyjamas and slippers and leaving the swimming pool in dressing gowns rather than showering and drying off prior to getting in your car - and I am referring to adults in all of this not children. I will never go grocery shopping barefoot or in my nightie as long as i live (unless of course dementia sets in in which case i may!)
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

was just speaking to my little brother on the phone earlier and something he said about his boss's wife gave me a flashback to a cringeworthy moment that was also a lightbulb moment.

It was on a lunch 'date' with a my relatively new social circle - mainly ex pat women but a few aussies. one of the regulars could not make it so basically the whole time was spent ripping into her - I couldnt believe how mean they were being to someone who was supposedly their friend. Not to sound like a brag, in the UK i enjoyed the company of clever women who had careers, proper hobbies and interests (not just seeing a private trainer once a week), something to say about current affairs etc. so there I am sitting in amongst these completely vacuous women and I am thinking.........."what am I doing here??? get me the flock out of here"

of course I may just have been unlucky and of course there are plenty of ex-pat women who are lovely (me for example LOL)but certain parts of australia do seem to breed these types. its probably just me, but i cringe when i think of how desperate i was just to make some friends.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

I was at work 'client golf day' mainly male clients' I was joking with one english / aussie client I knew well and he happened to trip over landing on my hand.... I laughed and said oops sorry didnt mean to have a quick squeeze.... to which he guffawed and said any time....

5 minutes later a female australian colleague who is around 42 ( i'm 36) took me to one side and expressed how horrified she was I had said that and that I should perhaps aplogies to him .....

That was one point when I just felt like screaming... how bloody small minded and outdated....

women know your place.... AGHHHHHHH I love being home!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

deadlock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner
"mateship" as if no one else has mates only Australians
mateship!i forgot that one! and the whole "battler" thing what are they battling against?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

Originally Posted by deadlock
mateship!i forgot that one! and the whole "battler" thing what are they battling against?

To get their fat ars*s into their trackypants I think
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:40 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I used to get that in Van, with a London accent.

To be honest Vancouverites can also be a tad irritating with their constant, how wonderful is this place attitude.
Vancouverites aren't even on the same planet as your average "Ostaaaaya is Godzonecountrylittleozziebattlerwegrewhereyouflewh ere" brigade.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
AFL players running through the paper banner at the beginning of a game always makes me cringe.

Bare filthy feet,

Bald top of the head, a mullet and goatee combined on one man are a nice look too LOL,

Men wearing really short shorts and worn down thongs. Very fetching, NOT.
Ha! ha!. How pathetic are theAFL ceer squads? All week to make a banner for some team to run through!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

deadlock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner
To get their fat ars*s into their trackypants I think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.