Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Aus to UK travel insurance

Aus to UK travel insurance

Old May 4th 2010, 10:14 am
We're going home...yeay!!

Location: Crossing off the days until I can leave Oz and go home.
Tracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really nice
Default Aus to UK travel insurance

Could anyone suggest a company who will cover us for one way travel ins Australia to UK. We are finding this tough as we do not have permanent resident status, we are on temp SIR visa 495.

There must be someone who has bought a policy lately. Starting to worry now.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

bushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nice
Default Re: Aus to UK travel insurance

No idea what they are like as we won't be returning home until next year, but I have Duinsure noted in my 'research folder' as offering a one-way policy:

http://www.duinsure.com.au/sites/dui...avel-insurance
Old May 4th 2010, 9:56 pm

Tracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really nice

Thanks for that, but we have looked at Downunder Insurance, and on the final page, you have to check a box to say you are a permanent Aussie resident (which we aren't), although it does mention a mysterious "Plan F" which is one way insurance, but nowhere on their website gives you access to "Plan F" insurance as an option, only Plans A or C, neither of which are one way policies.....ARGH!!!! If we take out normal insurance, the policy is invalid if you do need to make a claim, as we are not willing to be repatriated to Australia (oh dear God, perish the thought I wake up from a coma in an Australian hospital after planning our escape for so long).

Anyone travelled back to Blighty recently and taken out one way insurance....??!! Surely someone on here MUST have.... Please help us, we only have 26 more days to go.....

Cheers

Traci x
Old May 4th 2010, 11:35 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracijbc
Thanks for that, but we have looked at Downunder Insurance, and on the final page, you have to check a box to say you are a permanent Aussie resident (which we aren't), although it does mention a mysterious "Plan F" which is one way insurance, but nowhere on their website gives you access to "Plan F" insurance as an option, only Plans A or C, neither of which are one way policies.....ARGH!!!! If we take out normal insurance, the policy is invalid if you do need to make a claim, as we are not willing to be repatriated to Australia (oh dear God, perish the thought I wake up from a coma in an Australian hospital after planning our escape for so long).

Anyone travelled back to Blighty recently and taken out one way insurance....??!! Surely someone on here MUST have.... Please help us, we only have 26 more days to go.....

Cheers

Traci x
Have you looked at WorldNomads.com?
Old May 5th 2010, 12:04 am
Just Joined

bushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nice

Cheers

Traci x

Ah.... thanks for that. I hadn't looked that deeply into it. Hopefully we will be okay then as we are permanent residents - even though the aim of our one way trip will be to reverse that situation

I did note that they do mention NON-residents, but that you need to call them...

"
In some cases we can insure non-residents. Please contact our offices directly on 1800 148 766 if you are not a permanent Australian resident, so we may assist you with your purchase of travel insurance.
"

I suppose that as 'Plan F' is not the norm, it won't be available on line and will involve a phone call

Will have to investigate if WorldNomad have something easier.

Cheers.
Old May 5th 2010, 12:54 am

Went on to World Nomads - followed a link and crept around the internet and finally discovered COLUMBUS insurance who have now happily insured us for one way flight to the UK!!! Phone from Aus 1300 669 999 or check out www.columbusdirect.com.au The one way policies are only available by phone and for cover for 2 adults from Adelaide to Heathrow it only cost us $126.72.

Job's a good 'un!

Traci xx
Old May 5th 2010, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Went on to World Nomads - followed a link and crept around the internet and finally discovered COLUMBUS insurance who have now happily insured us for one way flight to the UK!!! Phone from Aus 1300 669 999 or check out www.columbusdirect.com.au The one way policies are only available by phone and for cover for 2 adults from Adelaide to Heathrow it only cost us $126.72.

Job's a good 'un!

Traci xx
Thanks Tracie. I'll Pop that one in my 'info folder' for when we need it. Good luck.... and here's hoping you don't have to claim
Old May 5th 2010, 1:56 am
ReMember?

G'day_Australia! is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone found one-way insurance that will cover you for the real possibility of more ash cloud related delays on flights etc? I have just spoken to DU Insurance who basically stated that we would not be covered "as it is not an unforeseen circumstances now".

Should have bought it prior to April 14!!

Of course the volcano has started spouting again with Scotland being affected again on the travel front...
Old May 5th 2010, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by G'day_Australia!
Has anyone found one-way insurance that will cover you for the real possibility of more ash cloud related delays on flights etc? I have just spoken to DU Insurance who basically stated that we would not be covered "as it is not an unforeseen circumstances now".

Should have bought it prior to April 14!!

Of course the volcano has started spouting again with Scotland being affected again on the travel front...
I just read in detail the General Exclusions on the Columbus policy, and it does not say that adverse weather, volcanoes or anything that might possibly be related to us being unable to fly due to volcanic activity is excluded. Might be worth asking them specifically though, and if it looks like it might be an issue closer to when we fly, I'll be giving them a call.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Traci x
We looked at it and couldn't find anything that covered a one way ticket. We were both Oz cits (dual for me). We had automatic flight/luggage insurance as I'm Platinum with my airline and we were on a BC ticket, but I couldn't find anything that covered Mrs TB for her 3 week stopover in Korea or anything that covered me beyond the airline status coverage.

The issue always seemed to be the one way tickets, not residential status. Hope you get yourself sorted.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:13 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought travel insurance for one way trip (NZ to UK via Cook Is) cover for 12 days $157.95 for two of us, through 1cover.co.nz or 0800 000 333 (based in oz).

HTH
B x