Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Atlanta - here I come...

Atlanta - here I come...

Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atlanta - here I come...

Originally Posted by Funky Chicken
Just found out that my company is sponsoring me to work in Atlanta for 2 years under an L1 visa. Not too sure what to think but can't be too bad for 2 years can it?

Anybody of you in Atlanta? My visa application went in today and I have been told to expect it to be granted in mid to late September. I will need to think about where to live, where the good schools are etc? If anybody has moved to the Atlanta area it would be great to hear from you so I can pick your brains

I am currently trying to sort out a big pile of things but fortunately my employer is taking care of much of the detail. One question I had was about UK car insurance. I know that there will be no recognition of UK no-claims in the USA & that insurance kind of work in a different way anyway. What I am more interested in is what will happen to my no-claims when I return to the UK? I guess after 2 years it will have gone entirely? Is it possible to keep a car in the UK with insurance so that I keep the no-claims (I guess technically I need to be resident in the UK but has anybody tried this?).

Anybody got any advice on getting a US credit card? I understand that it is a bit of a slow process to get any kind of credit history.

Anyway, I expect I will be posting lots over the coming months.

Cheers, Chris.
I hope your employer has offered you a generous monthly overseas allowance for housing, education, etc. Accommodation in decent neighborhoods in Atlanta (and the 'burbs) is pretty pricy.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:02 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask if the company takes your English no claims......ours in MA did.....and so we have always been on the cheapest step in the USA.....its around $1200 a year for two cars me and hubby and the kids ...24 and 17...but the kids now use their own Ins....my daughters is around $500 a year...and my son at 17 is around $1500 a year...
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Funky Chicken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I hope your employer has offered you a generous monthly overseas allowance for housing, education, etc. Accommodation in decent neighborhoods in Atlanta (and the 'burbs) is pretty pricy.

NC Penguin
The allowance is £1500 (after tax), about $2500. On top of this is health, dental, storage and moving etc. Also my salary will be 'tax equalized'. Not sure if this works in my favour but at least I know I will get the same dosh as I do in the UK. I hope that this will be enough for house and car? I think I should be able to find a reasonable house for about $1500? As for neighbohhood, I am thinking about Marietta?

On the school front I was working on the assumption that my son can attend a public school. Have I got this wrong?

Cheers, Chris.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:36 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by rincewind
Never had that problem. I went with State Farm when I got my first US motor and it worked out at around $100 per month. Others tried to quote me double that.

We have shopped around, and unfortunately even Geigo couldnt give us a better price.

We are now also insuring a 16 year old boy, so we are now screwed big time for a few years.

Hey ho

PD1