Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

asylum interview : help me

asylum interview : help me

Old Aug 12th 2002, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

guest99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default asylum interview : help me

I have interview for political asylum this week. I would greatly appreciate if the experienced ones and the expert ones would share their experiences/ expertise.
Old Aug 18th 2002, 10:32 pm
Amer20034

Default Re: asylum interview : help me

>I have interview for political asylum this week. I would greatly appreciate if the
    >experienced ones and the expert ones would share their experiences/ expertise.

If you are really an asylee, then you should have your own credible experiences. I
hope you are not trying to use somebody else's experiences.

I am waiting to see what those detainees in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba have to say. Some of
them are going to sing the "I am an Asylee" song as well.

Old Aug 18th 2002, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

syedraza70 is an unknown quantity at this point

you just have to keep in mind that your case will go according to your situation. It is strict because people use to apply for assylum and infact they have no fear or anything. so if you are true in your reason then you will definetly get what you want. i wish you good luck
Old Aug 19th 2002, 1:55 pm
L D Jones

Amer20034 wrote:
    > >I have interview for political asylum this week. I would greatly appreciate if the
    > >experienced ones and the expert ones would share their experiences/ expertise.
    > If you are really an asylee, then you should have your own credible experiences. I
    > hope you are not trying to use somebody else's experiences.
    > I am waiting to see what those detainees in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba have to say. Some
    > of them are going to sing the "I am an Asylee" song as well.

I doubt that any of the detainees will be given asylum in the US if that's what you
mean. As far as I understand, a person who seeks asylum in the US claims some
persecution in his own country and wants to (eventually) live in the US free from
immigration restrictions (as an eventual greencard holder). How many of the detainees
do you think will be given this status?

Old Aug 19th 2002, 4:53 pm
Amer20034

L D Jones [email protected] wrote:

>I doubt that any of the detainees will be given asylum in the US if that's what you
    >mean. As far as I understand, a person who seeks asylum in the US claims some
    >persecution in his own country and wants to (eventually) live in the US free from
    >immigration restrictions (as an eventual greencard holder). How many of the
    >detainees do you think will be given this status?

If they are represented by excellent U.S. attorneys, they will ALL receive asylum
here, and some of those detainees may even become your senator or congressperson.

Anyone can claim persecution in his own country. Even Bill Clinton can claim
persecution in his own country.

Old Aug 19th 2002, 5:12 pm
L D Jones

Amer20034 wrote:
    > L D Jones [email protected] wrote:
    > >I doubt that any of the detainees will be given asylum in the US if that's what
    > >you mean. As far as I understand, a person who seeks asylum in the US claims some
    > >persecution in his own country and wants to (eventually) live in the US free from
    > >immigration restrictions (as an eventual greencard holder). How many of the
    > >detainees do you think will be given this status?
    > If they are represented by excellent U.S. attorneys, they will ALL receive asylum
    > here, and some of those detainees may even become your senator or congressperson.

A detainee currently in Cuba will become my congressperson? Impossible. Who would
vot for them?

I contend this is virtually impossible. They are considered 'emeny combatants' (sic)
now. How many of them will ever get to participate in asylum hearings? My guess is
none, zero. Their cases are not 'standard' and they are being more tightly controlled
than normal asylum seekers. Many of them can only infrequently receive visitors from
their own diplomatic missions. No one can even determine if they will be allowed to
claim asylum much less be granted it. The govt could simply declare them ineligible
to receive asylum. As far as I know, the question has not even come up.

Old Aug 19th 2002, 5:15 pm
L D Jones

Amer20034 wrote:
[ ... ]

> Anyone can claim persecution in his own country. Even Bill Clinton can claim
    > persecution in his own country.

Neither of these statements makes sense. If you claim persecution in your own country
surely you would not be elgible for "asylum" under immigration law. I could claim I
am being persecuated by the govt but I wouldn't then ask for asylum. Not sure what
you're getting at.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 1:47 am
Aftonokla

>If they are represented by excellent U.S. attorneys, they will ALL receive asylum
    >here, and some of those detainees may even become your senator or congressperson.

Very few, if any of them, will ever get asylum here.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 6:38 pm
Amer20034

>A detainee currently in Cuba will become my congressperson? Impossible. Who would
    >vot for them?

A. Foreigners from the middle-east, who are mainly in Detroit, who want greater
representation in this country.
B. Anyone with an axe to grind with the U.S. Government
C. People who stand to profit financially by voting for their detainee-friends.
D. Moslems who are Anti-Christian and who don't really like the American way of life.
E. Residents who have no vested interest in the future of this country.
F. Anyone trying to destroy all barriers to immigration to this country. And the
list goes on.

>Many of them can only infrequently receive visitors from their own diplomatic
    >missions.

If the detainees come up with sufficient funds (via third-party sponsorship from
foreign countries), top-notch U.S. attorneys will be on their side and set them free.
This is nothing new in the U.S.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 6:43 pm
Amer20034

>Amer20034 wrote:
    >[ ... ]
    >> Anyone can claim persecution in his own country. Even Bill Clinton can claim
    >> persecution in his own country.
    >Neither of these statements makes sense. If you claim persecution in your own
    >country surely you would not be elgible for "asylum" under immigration law. I could
    >claim I am being persecuated by the govt but I wouldn't then ask for asylum. Not
    >sure what you're getting at.

But you could ask a FOREIGN country for asylum. Bill Clinton could apply for
political asylum in Canada, if he really wanted to emigrate, and he should

Who doesn't feel persecuted by their own country these days? Is this the latest trick
to try and get into another country?

Old Aug 20th 2002, 9:07 pm
L D Jones

Amer20034 wrote:
    > L D Jones [email protected] wrote:
    > >A detainee currently in Cuba will become my congressperson? Impossible. Who would
    > >vot for them?
    > A. Foreigners from the middle-east, who are mainly in Detroit, who want greater
    > representation in this country.
    > B. Anyone with an axe to grind with the U.S. Government
    > C. People who stand to profit financially by voting for their detainee-friends.
    > D. Moslems who are Anti-Christian and who don't really like the American way of
    > life.
    > E. Residents who have no vested interest in the future of this country.
    > F. Anyone trying to destroy all barriers to immigration to this country. And the
    > list goes on.

I'm sure it can go on. Still, I would bet a large sum of money that the detainees
could never get on to any ballot anywhere in the US.

> >Many of them can only infrequently receive visitors from their own diplomatic
    > >missions.
    > If the detainees come up with sufficient funds (via third-party sponsorship from
    > foreign countries), top-notch U.S. attorneys will be on their side and set them
    > free. This is nothing new in the U.S.

I agree that lawyers will work for large sums of money and that this is nothing new.
I doubt the detainees can get (or be given) th money. They are not the same as
standard 'asylum seekers' and probably never will be.