Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Asking for part-time

Asking for part-time

Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:04 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Default Asking for part-time

In the UK, a lot of women I know come back part-time after maternity leave and it is not a big deal. Over here it seems to be that most women come back full-time (mostly due to benefits issue) but also many claim they cannot afford part-time.

Anyway, I came back full-time too after my maternity leave (and I took 15 weeks, longer than the usual US 6 weeks). Now my son is 15 months old and my husband travels a lot with work and I am finding it hard to balance work and home. I would like to cut down to 3 days a week.

Does anyone have any tips on how I approach my boss about this?

He is a bit of a workaholic and made a really big deal about my long maternity leave. I asked to come back part-time and phase back to full time after maternity but he said no as it is not possible to have temporary part-time and it is too much paperwork and would affect the team. Basically he was not supportive. This time I want to ask for permanent partl-time which will mean a permanent change in status so should not be that much paperwork.

Has anyone else had to deal with their boss about switching to part-time?

I am a bit apprehensive as no other woman in my team is part-time and they all have small children. However i do know for a fact there are other part-time women working for my employer.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:05 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asking for part-time

do your homework. Know your current workload - and how it will be reduced/effected by the drop in hours. Have ideas for how that can be mitigated (ie passing off simple tasks to another dept or unbusy employee, training others, rescheduling some tasks to less busy times etc).
Possibly find out if you could do a job share (ie find another person to work the hours you are not (ie 2.5 days a week each). etc Point out to him the obvious- ie if you cut hours by half then you loose half your holiday and only cost him half as much. tell him you can be flexible (ie would prefer mon, and tues but with a few days notice can switch to other days if he needs it (or even be available do (fulltime hours) ie overtime at particular busy weeks to help out).

The more you can present him with a flexible workable solution rather than just a 'you will be loosing a percentage of your hours' the more likely he would be flexible back.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Look out for another job?

Part time work seems a bit pants here, well work share at least, probably because benefits only given to full time people and all that malarky.

The missus just went back to work today after her 6 weeks off...so this should be interesting, house husband, who'd have thunk'ed it eh.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 12:33 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Just fill the kid up with Ridilin and farm 'em out to daycare -- it's the American way.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:30 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Part time work seems a bit pants here, well work share at least, probably because benefits only given to full time people and all that malarky.

The missus just went back to work today after her 6 weeks off...so this should be interesting, house husband, who'd have thunk'ed it eh.
You are a thoroughly modern man Bob, and we gals are proud of you. PS - Can you share your meat loaf recipe with us?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
You are a thoroughly modern man Bob, and we gals are proud of you. PS - Can you share your meat loaf recipe with us?
shoot me if I find one
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

It would certainly be tough at some companies. My company does allow Moms to go part-time. Some work 32 hours a week, some 20. We have a few who work their 20 from home, only coming in occasionally for meetings.

I think having some routine (and offering flexibility) can be really helpful. One of my coworkers works 20 hours a a week from home but her days seem to constantly change. She's really good, and I'm glad the company is being flexible, but the frequent schedule changes can make it very hard to rely on her, and that in turn makes it hard on the rest of the staff.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:44 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MsElui
do your homework. Know your current workload - and how it will be reduced/effected by the drop in hours. Have ideas for how that can be mitigated (ie passing off simple tasks to another dept or unbusy employee, training others, rescheduling some tasks to less busy times etc).
Possibly find out if you could do a job share (ie find another person to work the hours you are not (ie 2.5 days a week each). etc Point out to him the obvious- ie if you cut hours by half then you loose half your holiday and only cost him half as much. tell him you can be flexible (ie would prefer mon, and tues but with a few days notice can switch to other days if he needs it (or even be available do (fulltime hours) ie overtime at particular busy weeks to help out).

The more you can present him with a flexible workable solution rather than just a 'you will be loosing a percentage of your hours' the more likely he would be flexible back.
Thanks for your ideas. I think I need to present him with a flexible plan. The worst that can happen is he can say no.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:31 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Thanks for your ideas. I think I need to present him with a flexible plan. The worst that can happen is he can say no.
What about temping?
Are there any agencies which have a focus on your line of work?
That way you could have nice breaks in between jobs as well.

You could get something set up as a fall-back and then give your boss the option of giving you what you want, or losing you.

Just remember that employers hate to get fired.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect its the difference between what you call part-time and what the company does. I work in retail and part-time seems to be up to 40 hrs with no paid vacation time. They seem think I am weird only wanting to work 25 hrs and I don't have a 2nd job. Now I am about to take 2 wks off for a trip to the UK and that is considered really novel.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Xebedee
What about temping?
Are there any agencies which have a focus on your line of work?
That way you could have nice breaks in between jobs as well.

You could get something set up as a fall-back and then give your boss the option of giving you what you want, or losing you.

Just remember that employers hate to get fired.
Hi,

I have considered temping but they are all fulltime (40 hours) in my field plus involve more commuting (NJ traffic is horrible). Right now I have a 20 minute commute and I like everything about my job, just don't like it being 5 days as my son is growing up and I feel like I am missing out. My best option is asking my boss for part-time but I am too scared. He was a bit of a bully when I wanted maternity leave for longer than 6 weeks and made me feel like I was stuck in the dark ages for wanting to be home longer. My colleague recently told him she is pregnant and the first thing he asked was how much time she would take off, no congratulations. He is a bit fo a jerk.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by jjmb
I suspect its the difference between what you call part-time and what the company does. I work in retail and part-time seems to be up to 40 hrs with no paid vacation time. They seem think I am weird only wanting to work 25 hrs and I don't have a 2nd job. Now I am about to take 2 wks off for a trip to the UK and that is considered really novel.
Hmmm, I hate the fact that there is no statutory paid leave in this country.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Right now I have a 20 minute commute and I like everything about my job, just don't like it being 5 days as my son is growing up and I feel like I am missing out.
Believe it or not... welcome to the American dream! There are thousands of people who envy your short commute and that you have a job.

My best option is asking my boss for part-time but I am too scared.
What's the worst that could happen? He's not going to hit you... so the most he can do is fire you... and then you sue him because he didn't have just cause.

He was a bit of a bully when I wanted maternity leave for longer than 6 weeks and made me feel like I was stuck in the dark ages for wanting to be home longer.
Does he own the company? If not, report his actions to his boss. Bullies succeeed because of the fear they instill in others... and he is betting on your silence so that he can live to bully another day. As I said... what's the worst he can do? If you get fired, you'll be able to spend more time with your son.

Ian
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Does he own the company? If not, report his actions to his boss. Bullies succeeed because of the fear they instill in others... and he is betting on your silence so that he can live to bully another day. As I said... what's the worst he can do? If you get fired, you'll be able to spend more time with your son.

Ian
Good point. The Family Medical Leave Act means the OP is entitled to take off a longer period for maternity leave anyway if she wishes.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Yes I should have reported him but he later sheepishly came to my office and said I could take longer off. He did say a lot of shocking things like how other women took less time, in the old days women left the workforce after having children but things are different now, this is the US, not europe to name a few. All this for asking for my legal right.

I was unprepared as i thought it would be like the Uk where you just tell your boss you'll be off for x weeks/months and your return date is x!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.