Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ask a stupid question...

Wikiposts

Ask a stupid question...

Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:49 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ask a stupid question...

Originally Posted by Chorlton
So today I had to go and get some new safety shoes. I'm paying for them and one of the sales staff overhears me and says "Whats that accent? Australian?" Of course I reply "I'm English". "Close enough" She replies. Close enough? Yeah maybe to someone whose geographical knowledge ends with the US territorial waters. What difference does 10,000miles make
Yeah, I'm *****ing tired of it today.
You need to start saying "G'day mate" They'll ask "English?"
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
do you know how popular hybrids are in england??? - the answer is not very!, plus the fact that 'smart' cars have been around for years and years.

Ant

did you know that the hybrids in the US cannot run on electric alone - they use the cells to supplement the gas? in europe there are many that you can switch the petrol engine off? of course they are dead slow and go naff all distance......

sorry am i in the wrong thread?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:51 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Ask a stupid question...

Originally Posted by Big D
of course they are dead slow and go naff all distance......

thats why they r so popular in england
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big D
did you know that the hybrids in the US cannot run on electric alone - they use the cells to supplement the gas? in europe there are many that you can switch the petrol engine off? of course they are dead slow and go naff all distance......

sorry am i in the wrong thread?
No. You asked stupid question. So correct thread.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Not a stupid question but interesting
I had a guy come into work the other day and he asked if I was English... I said yes and we got chatting and I asked him where he was from he told me he was South African... I told him that a lot of people think my accent is SA he laughed and said a lot of people think he is English.

Apart from the usual stupid accent/country questions I have also been asked if we have DVD players in england yet? and do we have seat belts in cars?

Ash
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Not a stupid question but interesting
I had a guy come into work the other day and he asked if I was English... I said yes and we got chatting and I asked him where he was from he told me he was South African... I told him that a lot of people think my accent is SA he laughed and said a lot of people think he is English.

Apart from the usual stupid accent/country questions I have also been asked if we have DVD players in england yet? and do we have seat belts in cars?

Ash

I have been asked if we celebrate christmas in England. Get bemused looks when I tell them WE invented it.

I'm sure some people ("SOME" people Amerlisa) here think the whole Nativity story is an American one. Hardly likely Jesus could be born in the US is it? I mean, where would they find 3 wise men and a virgin?

It was a BLOODY joke!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Ash
LOL, thats reminded me, I was asked by my driving examiner if I'd tried McDonalds since arriving in America, as they were the best burgers in the world..ffs
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by woodsey
LOL, thats reminded me, I was asked by my driving examiner if I'd tried McDonalds since arriving in America, as they were the best burgers in the world..ffs

You mean there's better!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
You mean there's better!!!!!!!!
obviously not..
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

obviously not..
Thank god for that, would hate to think I was missing out!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure some people ("SOME" people Amerlisa) here think the whole Nativity story is an American one. Hardly likely Jesus could be born in the US is it? I mean, where would they find 3 wise men and a virgin?

It was a BLOODY joke!!
ROTFLMAO... oh boy, your gonna be in big trouble when lisa reads that one!!!

Ash
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

LOL... the best in the world... did you ask him what drugs he was on? because that is certainly not what I would call them.

Ash
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

ROTFLMAO... oh boy, your gonna be in big trouble when lisa reads that one!!!

Ash
Yeah, she'll probably be up at the crack of dawn (Dawn who?) go running full speed to the computer with a bed sheet wrapped around her with a spiked tiara, holding a flaming torch in one hand, a dictionary in the other and check that no one said anything derogatory on the nightshift. Fantastic dedication to duty in her role as defender of the United States in the "War On Criticism (and mild piss taking)".

(Pssst: Don't argue with her, she's been to Harrogate!!)

Last edited by rushman; Oct 10th 2005 at 5:53 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Saying that...there's a place on the way here from the in-laws with a big sign saying jesus walked these lands...part of the town church too
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:55 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

I have been asked if we celebrate christmas in England. Get bemused looks when I tell them WE invented it.

It was a BLOODY joke!!
it amazes me, when i tell people we dont celebrate thanksgiving or independance day in england, then i ask them if they celebrate boxing day to which they look puzzled so i just say 'exactly'

Ant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.