Reload this Page >

Ask a stupid question...

Wikiposts

Ask a stupid question...

Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:36 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ask a stupid question...

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well said Cindy! The number of times I've had people in the UK "assume" I lived in LA because I was from California was mind boggling.... When I told them it was more south east, they'd look at me with that glazed look and then I'd say "think Disneyland" and somehow it was all better. Except then they more than likely thought I was from Florida.
Theres a guy in my office who told me there was an Australian working in the company (not in my building). I asked why I especially would want to know - he said we were all alike, Britain and Australia - like we were going to be instant friends
Hmmmm, what else...
Wales is apparently an Island
Britain is part of mainland Europe
Everyone lives in London, of course
The Queen runs the country
etc etc
or
depends on the day
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:56 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Theres a guy in my office who told me there was an Australian working in the company (not in my building). I asked why I especially would want to know - he said we were all alike, Britain and Australia - like we were going to be instant friends
Hmmmm, what else...
Wales is apparently an Island
Britain is part of mainland Europe
Everyone lives in London, of course
The Queen runs the country
etc etc
or
depends on the day
90% of the time I'm asked "Australian right?"...."no, English!" Just because I don't speak like Hugh Grant or Dick Van bloody Dyke in Mary Poppins, they think every accent in between is Australian
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:07 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
90% of the time I'm asked "Australian right?"...."no, English!" Just because I don't speak like Hugh Grant or Dick Van bloody Dyke in Mary Poppins, they think every accent in between is Australian
I've even had South African!
One time I said I was from the UK after talking to some official here for a while. She assumed I meant the Ukraine. I guess English and Ukranian soundd similar.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:20 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Ask a stupid question...

Originally Posted by Partystar
So what stupid questions or conversations have you had?

When I lived in Texas (I was 15 at the time), someone said something along the lines of, "Wow, you speak really good English." I thought it was a compliment on my accent & said, thank you. They then said, "So, what language do you normally speak in England?" I was shocked to say the least!
I've also had, "Are you from out of state?" (asked in St Louis, Missouri). I said, "Yes, England" and she said "Which state is that in?".

This was when I came on holiday here, before I met my husband and moved here.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Heres one i've had hours of endless fun with. My aim is to see how long the pause can get. I think about 30 seconds is the record so far:

"Hey...cool accent....where are you from?"
"Brooklyn"
Cue confused pause.

PS Yes I know im small minded but you gotta get your kicks where you can I say
Old Oct 8th 2005, 7:52 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ask a stupid question...

all these responses/stupid questions only go to show that unfortunatly stupid people just breed, more stupid people!! - and also the fact that americans (in general!) do not realise there is a world outside of there borders...

saying that though, in england i had a 'smart' car - sure it looks a bit different, but 1 day i was filling up with petrol and some guy (who clearly had not seen a smart car before) asked me if it is electric - whilst i was filling up with petrol in front of him!! - dumb f$%k!!!

Ant
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:44 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Having just moved to Denver and having spent five weeks here previously I am getting the, "Are you Australian?" on a pretty regular basis. Born in New Zealand but spent 25 of my 31 years in England it's a pretty big insult to a Kiwi!! But I can ease their discomfort by telling them I was born in New Zealand which helps me but doesn't help them as they'll associate a UK accent with an NZ one. On the other hand, it's also nice that people take an interest.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:46 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Just because I don't speak like Hugh Grant or Dick Van bloody Dyke in Mary Poppins,

I'm so disillusioned.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:49 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I'm so disillusioned.
Cor blimey Mary Poppins, Me old bamboo, chim chimenee cheroo
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:50 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Cor blimey Mary Poppins, Me old bamboo, chim chimenee cheroo

I think you left out a couple of chim chims, but I appreciate the effort.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Heres one i've had hours of endless fun with. My aim is to see how long the pause can get. I think about 30 seconds is the record so far:

"Hey...cool accent....where are you from?"
"Brooklyn"
Cue confused pause.

PS Yes I know im small minded but you gotta get your kicks where you can I say
I've used Chicago before, which is true........same pause
Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
.... and also the fact that americans (in general!) do not realise there is a world outside of their borders ....
I have had discussions at work with several of my colleagues, something close to an argument with the ****wit hired as a "director of training", and am currently embroiled in frustratingly lengthy "discussion" with internal audit, all over ...... whether US law applies to our London office!

So far quoting two Federal government agencies that say US law does not apply outside the US hasn't yet pursuaded audit that they are barking up the wrong tree!
Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:48 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I often get asked if I'm from Australia too, although I was born there, I say yeah, but the accent is English (lived in England since I was 4). They seem happy that they were sort of right because they think I still have a bit of an Aussie accent (which I really don't!). Although one thing that drives me nuts is when the majority pronounce it AuSSie, instead of AuZZie, but I can't really blame them for that. I'm not too keen on the impressions of the English accent that I get, I don't do it to them, I think it's a bit rude, so I just laugh & walk away!
Old Oct 9th 2005, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

sprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to all

Me to my Mate last year ''were throwing a new years eve party this year, you wanna come''
Mate ''Yeh sure when is it''
Me ''ha ha your kidding right''
Mate ''no when is it''

I stared at her for a few minutes and she just started laughing and goes ''oh yeh new years eve ha ha''

At least she got it in the end, but we dont let her forget it lol

While in the U.S just the usual Them ''where you from'' Me ''oh England'' Them ''oh.........(pause)...do you know the queen'' I either return that with ''yeh she is my grandma'' or ''do you know George Bush'' when they reply ''no'' I just say ''there you go then'' smile politley and walk off saying ''see ya later'' just to confuse them a bit more as they never understand that one either ''...but im not seeing you later am I''

LOL
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen

saying that though, in england i had a 'smart' car - sure it looks a bit different, but 1 day i was filling up with petrol and some guy (who clearly had not seen a smart car before) asked me if it is electric - whilst i was filling up with petrol in front of him!! - dumb f$%k!!!
they could have thought it was a hybrid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.