Reload this Page >

Applying for UK passport from inside US

Wikiposts

Applying for UK passport from inside US

Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:20 am
Just Joined

imissmonstermunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Applying for UK passport from inside US

Wondering if anyone can help me, I am 36 and have been living in CA for over a decade now. I was born in UK, but in 2011 became a US citizen. So am I right in saying that when I got my US naturalization certificate I automatically became a DUAL citizen of both UK and US? I already sent in my application for first US passport, handed over my form & fees and naturalization certificate at the post office. But is it true that it is better for dual citizens to have both US and UK passports, and to only enter the UK with a UK passport if possible?

The red book UK passport which I entered US with, actually expired in 2011. Which passport renewal application form should I send to the UK embassy in Washington? (confused if I should use "OL" or "C1")

As far as supporting documents, do I just need to send in my old expired red UK passport to the embassy? Do I need to also send in my original UK birth certificate to prove UK citizenship, since I am applying from within US?

And on the application do I have to provide information on ALL previous UK passports, even the ones I had when I was a kid, or do I only need info on the most recent previous passport (the expired red book)?

Thank you for any help.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for UK passport from inside US

You're a duel citizen.

The UK doesn't care which passport you use to enter the UK, as long as the passport you use is fit for purpose, so if only going for a holiday, the US passport is fine. If you're planning to move back properly, then it would be easier to use a UK passport.

You're renewing the passport and it's not expired more than 10 years, so it's a simple renewal, send in the old passport and the forms with money and you're set.

There are loads of previous threads on the subject if you have a quick search for more info.

Welcome to BE
Old Feb 9th 2013, 8:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You're a duel citizen. ......
Pistols at dawn? Or maybe something more contemporary, ...... perhaps AK47's at 500ft?
Old Feb 9th 2013, 11:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Pistols at dawn? Or maybe something more contemporary, ...... perhaps AK47's at 500ft?
That'll do the job
Old Feb 9th 2013, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
You're a duel citizen.

The UK doesn't care which passport you use to enter the UK, as long as the passport you use is fit for purpose, so if only going for a holiday, the US passport is fine. If you're planning to move back properly, then it would be easier to use a UK passport.

You're renewing the passport and it's not expired more than 10 years, so it's a simple renewal, send in the old passport and the forms with money and you're set.

There are loads of previous threads on the subject if you have a quick search for more info.

Welcome to BE
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Do you know what the correct renewal form I should use would be? Maybe I'm just confused but I think I fit the criteria for both C1 and OL. Which is the one most people typically use?
Old Feb 9th 2013, 2:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by imissmonstermunch
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Do you know what the correct renewal form I should use would be? Maybe I'm just confused but I think I fit the criteria for both C1 and OL. Which is the one most people typically use?
No idea off hand, just read the instructions?
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

The fill-in form OL is fine, I used it last year. No idea why they don't make it clear in the instructions that you can use it, I had the same query before I sent mine off.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I feel better about using the fill in form now. It's a good site, but the instructions could be a bit clearer I think.