Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying a spouse for PR status - In regards to a relationship's length of time.

Applying a spouse for PR status - In regards to a relationship's length of time.

Old Oct 3rd 2002, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

love is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Applying a spouse for PR status - In regards to a relationship's length of time.

Hi,

I'm seeking advice on how the CIC may respond to my situation.

To summerize, after conversing with my now-partner for 6 months via the internet. I came to Canada and decided to meet her. We've lived together the past month and found we are quite compatible! We are in love and have discussed our future in great detail. Including having a family (She already has a 4 year old who calls me "dad" ), serveral business ideas, marriage, and I've met a good portion of her family.

Though to most people one month is not a great amount of time. I do love her and want to stay with her. I feel that in our "limited" time together we've learned more about each other than some couples learn in years being with each other.

But how will the CIC respond to our claim for PR status of myself if my partner and I marry within the next few months? By then we'd have been together for perhaps 3 or 4 months living together. And would have photographs from the wedding. Does the CIC have a specific amount of time as the minimum? Would they interrogate us to the extreme? What can we expect? How soon should we wait before applying for PR status?

She is a Canadian citizen and I am a USA citizen.
Cheers for any help! And hopefully this may help someone else in a similiar situation .

[email protected]
Old Oct 4th 2002, 2:23 pm

Default Re: Applying a spouse for PR status - In regards to a relationship's

You might want to post to a Canadian immigration newsgroup.
alt.visa.us.marriage-based generally focuses on people immigrating to
the US

Good luck.