Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for Social Security Number

Applying for Social Security Number

Old Apr 13th 2019, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Social Security Number

Originally Posted by insan
Thanks, agree, I'll update if I get it in next 5-7 days. but original advise stands delay your visit to the SSN office for few days.
I went the second day after I arrived (priority on day one was opening a bank account) and I didn't have any issues.

As with most things your mileage may vary, but there's few things that you *need* an SSN for - it won't stop you from completing an I-9 at work, most states won't oblige you to apply for a driving license straight away and your company should be able to sign you up for healthcare benefits without an SSN.

Once your application is submitted it's submitted, and if you need to wait a few additional days for a SAVE verification then it's not going to cause you any further difficulties.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 3:46 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my clients want it to get their lease cars/car finance - most of the car dealerships (including IAS) won't release the car until the ssn is provided.
Otherwise, you'll need it for the driver's license - in Texas that is a minimum 30 days after arrival; to give to the credit card companies ( think credit stacks) so that your credit history gets going.
Even if you have it, I wouldn't recommend using it if you are applying for apartments/houses - without a credit score it's a bit of a hindrance and could get your application refused. You can usually just apply without it and pay a larger security deposit.
If your SSN application cannot be automatically verified by SAVE, the manual processing is taking at least a month. You can check how it's going by going to save casecheck. Once it says 'returned to SSA Maryland" it has been manually verified.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

insan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by insan
Thanks, agree, I'll update if I get it in next 5-7 days. but original advise stands delay your visit to the SSN office for few days.
Hi, I got my SSN on Friday (5 days from the new application and it is dated the application date 12th April)