Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for jobs

Applying for jobs

Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:37 am
Just Joined

AdmanUB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for jobs

Hey all. I just got my green card in the mail and am now on the hunt for a job. Whatever I get is very likely to be entry-level stuff as all I've got is a few A-levels and not much else, which means lots of fun paper application forms!

Most of the applications I'm filling out ask for a Major/Minor, GPA, Degree/Diploma, none of which I really have a good answer for, as well as "Years completed" which my wife and I seem to think would be 13 (i.e kindergarten through to the end of 6th form), but we have no idea.

So if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated right now, hopefully someone here has gone through this. Sorry if it seems silly, but I think I will be confusing enough people with a UK-based work history that I don't wanna add to it even further.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 2:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for jobs

just put down "GED" and you'll fit right in with the rest of the Dayton population.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:18 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Years completed refers to years of a degree program, so it doesn't apply either.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Lutheran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdmanUB
Hey all. I just got my green card in the mail and am now on the hunt for a job. Whatever I get is very likely to be entry-level stuff as all I've got is a few A-levels and not much else, which means lots of fun paper application forms!

Most of the applications I'm filling out ask for a Major/Minor, GPA, Degree/Diploma, none of which I really have a good answer for, as well as "Years completed" which my wife and I seem to think would be 13 (i.e kindergarten through to the end of 6th form), but we have no idea.

So if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated right now, hopefully someone here has gone through this. Sorry if it seems silly, but I think I will be confusing enough people with a UK-based work history that I don't wanna add to it even further.
Many of the stuff on those forms do not necessarily apply to people from outside the US. Just fill them out as accurate as possible where there is any information to add. Some parts of the application should not be a problem as soon as they realize that you attended school outside the US. And believe me, most of these work managers aren't that bright to ever understand the school system of some other country... so expect to be asked (and answer) some fairly dumb questions.

Last edited by Lutheran; Oct 3rd 2010 at 2:53 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a degree you can get it evaluated by a reputable credential evaluation agency.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lutheran
Many of the stuff on those forms do not necessarily apply to people from outside the US. Just fill them out as accurate as possible where there is any information to add. Some parts of the application should not be a problem as soon as they realize that you attended school outside the US. And believe me, most of these work managers aren't that bright to ever understand the school system of some other country... so expect to be asked (and answer) some fairly dumb questions.
Thing is, most resumes go through a automatic filter, so you do want it to fit in and appear like a US set of information or you might never get passed the bin stage where they might ask direct questions.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lutheran
You are, of course, conversant in everything culturally American?
That's a pretty harsh filter for judging people, that they aren't familiar with the educational systems of 80+ other countries. WTH should they be?