Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for first British Passport, priceless?

Wikiposts

Applying for first British Passport, priceless?

Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for first British Passport, priceless?

Originally Posted by Celsius
You might want to hit the other head to eliminate future cost of educating kids...
Tooooooooo Late, had it cut off years ago.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Re: the $200 for your sons passport. Doesn't it cost around $100 just to renew a UK one here. Mine expires end of next month so I will have to get cracking with the forms. Thought I'd try and get your thread back on track.
Your 2 kind!
I think the renewal is the same cost has 1st time. $185 + Photos + Postage out.
Reg. Frank R.
PS. I have to renew mine soon.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
There's always the local community college/state university mix, which will save a packet. Then there is the option of a UK citizen, but living in the USA, to return to the UK and take up a job for a couple of years to qualify (if the kid doesn't already qualify) to do an essentially freebie UK university degree. .

For domestic uni fees in the UK, there is a residence requirement as well as a nationality requirement.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In Canada her friends all seem to be celebrating their 21st. In the US I think the celebration is because they can consume alcohol legally! In Canada its 19.
In some Canadian provinces it's 18.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's always the local community college/state university mix, which will save a packet. Then there is the option of a UK citizen, but living in the USA, to return to the UK and take up a job for a couple of years to qualify (if the kid doesn't already qualify) to do an essentially freebie UK university degree. I don't see any reason to fork out tens of thousands of dollars for a first degree. If the kid is into science and/or engineering. A good British degree will open the door to fully funded PhD programs (both in the UK and possibly in the USA). Again, I see no reason to fork out any money to get on an accredited PhD program.
You've got to be resident in the UK for 3 years to qualify for LEA funding, otherwise it'll cost you an arm and a leg as a foreign student, between £10-30K a year.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Bob
You've got to be resident in the UK for 3 years to qualify for LEA funding, .

UK or another EEA state. Not sure if Switzerland residence qualifies.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
UK or another EEA state. Not sure if Switzerland residence qualifies.
I thought it had to be UK to qualify and then it was means tested for that first £1K or whatever it was these days, and if you were resident in the rest of the EU, you'd still have to fork out that first £1K regardless and the country picked up the tab for the rest of the fee, which would be around £10-20K a year depending on the course...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:47 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
For domestic uni fees in the UK, there is a residence requirement as well as a nationality requirement.
That's what I said ... the kid is British, so the residency requirement is at issue, so the kid could go back to the UK and wait out the residency requirement by working for a couple years or so ...

There's always the local community college/state university mix, which will save a packet. Then there is the option of a UK citizen, but living in the USA, to return to the UK and take up a job for a couple of years to qualify (if the kid doesn't already qualify) to do an essentially freebie UK university degree. I don't see any reason to fork out tens of thousands of dollars for a first degree. If the kid is into science and/or engineering. A good British degree will open the door to fully funded PhD programs (both in the UK and possibly in the USA). Again, I see no reason to fork out any money to get on an accredited PhD program.

If I had kids, I would expect them to be pretty much self-financing and failing that, to adopt a cost-effective methodology to getting a degree or perhaps just local community college and a trade, several years work experience, and then quite a lot of help with starting their own business. Just me maybe, but I don't see anything wrong with a kid not having a college degree so long as the kid has his/her head screwed on and has a good trade (preferably several with plans to update and adopt an interdisciplinary trade approach) and plans progress through taking control of their own life through self-reliance and as an old boss used to say, "[by] making things happen".
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:24 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

There are some exceptions to the general rule (there's the general rule, and there's the exceptions to the general rule). I know that, e.g., the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) and other UK government funded agencies have this kind of rule. However, there are other major British biotechnology/chemical PhD research foundations that are not subject to the same rule. Then there are obvious dispensations for children of parents who work for certain UK government agencies. There are even Inland Revenue taxation dispensation granted to certain PhD students. There are certain science/engineering British PhD students who were paid for teaching/demonstrating/instructing undergraduates and who got a dispensation on their earnings to the extent they were not liable for UK taxes who are granted dispensations by the British Inland Revenue Service.

Last edited by User Name; Mar 21st 2006 at 6:51 pm. Reason: ... too much fluff ...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:28 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

That's what I said ... the kid is British, so the residency requirement is at issue, so the kid could go back to the UK and wait out the residency requirement by working for a couple years or so ...

That's what I said ... the kid is British, so the residency requirement is not at issue, so the kid could go back to the UK and wait out the residency requirement by working for a couple years or so ... silly me.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 3:19 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought it had to be UK to qualify and then it was means tested for that first £1K or whatever it was these days, and if you were resident in the rest of the EU, you'd still have to fork out that first £1K regardless and the country picked up the tab for the rest of the fee, which would be around £10-20K a year depending on the course...
To the extent that there is a trick it is all about planning and logical thinking. If the parent is smart and the kid willing, there are obvious ways to getting a first degree very cheaply and later a PhD at no cost - in fact with funding that covers tuition and living expenses, and in some cases an Inland Revenue authorized tax dispensation. It just needs planning and thinking through options. I am amazed that parents seem to think they must throw loads of money at their kids during "college" and "grad school". Not so, and I suspect in many cases such stupid thinking is not helping their kids in the long run. Going to "college" can be a good time to learn self-reliance and critical life skills, or it can be a mindless stupid waste of time.