Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for financial aid

Applying for financial aid

Old Feb 19th 2004, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for financial aid

I am contemplating doing another degree, but the federal financial aid website says i need to be a GC holder to qualify. The INS has had my AOS papers for almost 2 years and have not begun to process them and i was wondering if anyone has successfully applied for federal financial aid while waiting for there AOS to be done?

Cheers in advance...MH
Old Feb 19th 2004, 8:00 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for financial aid

I so want to reply

Scrounging student bastards

but first I must check, are you a scouser and is your wife captain of the crazy team?

Patrick

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
I am contemplating doing another degree, but the federal financial aid website says i need to be a GC holder to qualify. The INS has had my AOS papers for almost 2 years and have not begun to process them and i was wondering if anyone has successfully applied for federal financial aid while waiting for there AOS to be done?

Cheers in advance...MH
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:41 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers in advance...MH
What does AOS mean? My friend got federal financial aid to do his masters.
Then promptly buggered off back to the UK once he had gotten his degree.
He has a GC though, sorry that I have no useful information.

Funny Patrick, are we looking for a bite? Bored or something are you..
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
I so want to reply

Scrounging student bastards

but first I must check, are you a scouser and is your wife captain of the crazy team?

Patrick
Patrick,
No, I am not a scouser, and never even used to watch Brookie! My wife is most certainly not crazy..

Seriously, I am not trying to scrounge anything....I am trying to find out about student loan eligability. I worked full time while i did an OU degree in the UK, but my whole degree in the UK cost me about the same as 1 class here!

Patrick, I think you are a funny guy, but give a guy a chance...i've only been a member a few days!

To the other poster: AOS is adjustment of status to GC holder. The INS told me to look at my application will take 3-4 years, *****ing hopeless......

Cheers...
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

i've only been a member a few days!
I'm sure you've been called worse.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:50 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I'm jus messin witch ya!

When I was at University I think the most polite thing said to me was scrounging student bastard!

Cant be of any help, sorry. Call the universities and ask to speak to the bursary department or the financial aid department, they will be able to answer most of your questions

Patrick

ps re:"My wife is most certainly not crazy" - she's a woman isn't she, there all f'ing crazy, especially for about 4 days a month!

Patrick,
No, I am not a scouser, and never even used to watch Brookie! My wife is most certainly not crazy..

Seriously, I am not trying to scrounge anything....I am trying to find out about student loan eligability. I worked full time while i did an OU degree in the UK, but my whole degree in the UK cost me about the same as 1 class here!

Patrick, I think you are a funny guy, but give a guy a chance...i've only been a member a few days!

To the other poster: AOS is adjustment of status to GC holder. The INS told me to look at my application will take 3-4 years, *****ing hopeless......

Cheers...
Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Patrick
I'm jus messin witch ya!

When I was at University I think the most polite thing said to me was scrounging student bastard!

Cant be of any help, sorry. Call the universities and ask to speak to the bursary department or the financial aid department, they will be able to answer most of your questions

Patrick

ps re:"My wife is most certainly not crazy" - she's a woman isn't she, there all f'ing crazy, especially for about 4 days a month!

4 days a month...lucky bloody you...i get 6:scared:

I have called the uni's but none of them seem to understand the 'subtleties' of immigration statuses. I have written and phoned and faxed my senators, but have not had a reply from any of them on the matter. I guess as i can't vote...yet.

As far as burseries, none available-i don't meet the criteria...i think my only option is sallie mae, with the mrs acting as a cosigner because she has a longer credit history. I was amazed though at some levels of student debt, one guy i talked with has $90,000 from doing a B.Sc!!!! Can you believe it, almost the cost of a house. Seems to me most Americans have 2 mortgage type payments per month, one on the house, the other for student debts...
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

You cant do it without a green card, i was here on an F-1 before i got my GC and couldn't get Financial Aid until i had it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by lanky1980
You cant do it without a green card, i was here on an F-1 before i got my GC and couldn't get Financial Aid until i had it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!
What did you do then? Did you get a private student loan through sallie mae or another bank?
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

One other thing, you might find yourself paying international fees without a greencard.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
One other thing, you might find yourself paying international fees without a greencard.
The uni i'm interested in has already classsified me as 'in-state' as i have been living here almost 2 years...luckliy!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:35 pm
Franklin

The uni i'm interested in has already classsified me as 'in-state' as i have been living here almost 2 years...luckliy!

What degree were you thinking of doing? I hear computing degrees are not worth the paper they are written on (because of the current penchant for outsourcing computer related jobs). Not really my business, but consider your options very carefully. Pick a bad one and it could have zip impact on your future career. Pick a winner, and it could boost your income and future prospects "no end".