Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Apply for child passport in London or via Washington?

Apply for child passport in London or via Washington?

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default Apply for child passport in London or via Washington?

I was wondering if anyone can share their experience with either method. I am not sure what will be easier for my baby son in terms of getting him a British passport. I will be applying for his Canadian passport next week as that where he was born. I am a British citizen via birth and want to ensure he gets his British one too.

We are travelling to London to stay for 1 month in November and just wondering if it will be easier to do the fast track passport root for him in London. But not sure if this can be done for child passports where the child was not born in that country? Will it just be more complicated?

On the other hand, Washington route seems a little bit more long winded? Is it still even Washington you have to apply for British child passports and does anyone have the web link?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for child passport in London or via Washington?

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
I was wondering if anyone can share their experience with either method. I am not sure what will be easier for my baby son in terms of getting him a British passport. I will be applying for his Canadian passport next week as that where he was born. I am a British citizen via birth and want to ensure he gets his British one too.

We are travelling to London to stay for 1 month in November and just wondering if it will be easier to do the fast track passport root for him in London. But not sure if this can be done for child passports where the child was not born in that country? Will it just be more complicated?

On the other hand, Washington route seems a little bit more long winded? Is it still even Washington you have to apply for British child passports and does anyone have the web link?

Any advice appreciated.
The Fast Track service in the UK is for 'straightforward' applications only. A first time application from a child born overseas and entering the country on a foreign passport is unlikely to qualify.

I would apply for the passport via Washington. They will be vastly more experienced in this kind of application. They'll need to see your baby's original birth certificate mentioning his parents' names, your original full birth certificate mentioning your parents' names, two countersigned photos and a photocopy of his Canadian passport if you have it by this point.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...als/passports/
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I think technically it has to be Washington, which is a pain because it costs more and takes longer. Both of our boys were born in Canada too, and we sent the forms to Washington, they were back in about a month. The first time we travelled with our oldest to the UK, we had to go in the 'other' queue and it took much longer than it did once we got his UK passport.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Thanks for your replies. I guess it will have to be the Washington route. So I am guessing from that point on for renewals it does not matter which way we apply?

Also, do you have to show both passports when you arrive at customs in the uk for your children? How does it work when travelling with your kids when you hold both a British and Canadian passport?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We've shown the UK one when entering the UK and the Canadian one when entering Canada.

I would assume that renewals also need to be done via Washington technically. It's based on where you live when you apply, so if you live in Canada, all of your passports are taken care of by Washington and then irritatingly processed in the UK anyway. I looked into doing ours in the UK while we were over, but even with fast track they don't guarantee anything and as you have to send your old passport in too, it wasn't worth the risk to not get it back in time.