Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applied for UK passport as an American...HELP!

Applied for UK passport as an American...HELP!

Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Nigel84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applied for UK passport as an American...HELP!

When you applied did you send in your US passport itself instead of a copy? If not, then I would travel on your US passport for now if the trip is just a short vacation or stay over.

What exactly did you send with your application as the document proof of your citizenship? Maybe I can help decipher if there may be a problem. Usually if your application is pretty straight forward it's done pretty quick considering. When the application takes longer than 6 weeks it's usually due to an issue they found with the documents sent.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:17 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

He said his father was a British citizen but did not say he was a BC so how can he apply for a passport before becoming a BC?

Being eligible for a British passport is not the same as applying for citizenship and then being eligible for a British passport right??
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

DougDougDoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by creamern
I agree that this was very silly to think you could just apply for a passport first. The first step should have been to apply to become a British Citizen then after that...many weeks apply for the British Passport say all of this last year?? Or the beginning of this year? I don't really see how they can give you a passport first until you have your citizenship! You can't get a US passport unless your a citizen right? And if you are traveling over and your an American why not just use your US passport? I am just waiting until they finish the law hopefully this year so I can apply to become a British citizen by descent and once that is granted then I will apply for my passport but if I want to go over to see all the relatives before this happens then I will just pull out my US passport! How old are you anyway? Doing a little research can save you time and money hence $3 per minute phone calls!
If Andrew has a UK birth certificate this should be quick and easy.

If Andrew has a US birth certificate he will need to show that his birth was registered with the British Consulate in NY or DC and supply the birth registration document with his passport application.

Once you have your first UK (or US) passport its then very simple to keep renewing then in either country. I have had both of mine renewed in both countries without issues (i.e. UK renewed in US and UK renewed in US depending where i was living at the time).

Doug
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that this was very silly to think you could just apply for a passport first. The first step should have been to apply to become a British Citizen then after that...many weeks apply for the British Passport say all of this last year??
Not silly at all ... many people acquire British citizenship (by descent) automatically.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DougDougDoug
If Andrew has a UK birth certificate this should be quick and easy.

If Andrew has a US birth certificate he will need to show that his birth was registered with the British Consulate in NY or DC and supply the birth registration document with his passport application.
No he won't have to do that.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:29 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

JAJ my thinking this is silly is referring to him thinking it was going to be fast and easy within the time limit he gave not to the entire situation. You misread my intent. He said his father is a British citizen but he has yet to say that he is a BC! All I am saying is how can you apply for a British passport if you yourself are not a BC??
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

He said his father is a British citizen but he has yet to say that he is a BC! All I am saying is how can you apply for a British passport if you yourself are not a BC??
Once again. If his father was born in the United Kingdom and married to his mother, then he is automatically a BC.

(now if his father is a BC born outside the United Kingdom, or his parents were not married, then he may not be a BC - and have no way to become a BC).
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Cheesus save us, what a thread.

He says in the OP that he is eligible for a UK passport. And that he intends to travel on it soon. We don't know why, how can we say whether he 'needs' it or not? I can think of several good reasons.

Sheesh.

OP should read the passport delay thread that's running (he may have actually already posted there).
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

sirwatson1 is on a distinguished road

I applied for British citizenship by descent because my father, who was born in the UK, married my American mother and they gave birth to me--this qualifies me for a British passport.

I sent in my original US passport to the British consulate with the application.

Furthermore, I need a British passport for where I will be going for the next 6 months.

I have thoroughly researched the process and I am indeed eligible for a British passport.

The reason I am so frustrated is because it has been 2 months and I have not heard anything from the British Consulate. I have no idea what is going on and this is interfering with my plans. Does anyone have experiences obtaining a British passport as a first time adult by descent? If so, how long did it take? Did you have to do an interview?

I have already been charged by the consulate for the passport and no one has contacted me regarding an interview or anything, and so this is why I am puzzled.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:41 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

Thank you for finally answering the question that was in my mind. But there is still the one thing that puzzles me and that is did you just now find out you had to travel or could you have filed before now?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

I just found out in the last few months (in April) that a British passport was needed for what I want to do and where I am going.

Further, I always wanted to apply for my British passport but I was unable because of financial difficulties. I just graduated from college and with some money I have been saving up, I was able to locate and purchase all the forms and documents necessary and pay for the passport itself.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Well now it's understandable why you are anxious about the travel date as you have no passport in hand right now. Still a copy of the ID page would have sufficed.

I am just ending my application for a passport by descent. My UK passport was being sent to print Friday and I should have it this week some time. I did not have to do any interviews.

What documents did you include with your application? The Embassy is very particular on how they want the documents. Birth certificates had to have been issued and the copy you have had to have been printed within 3 months of your birth. If not, they want further proof that you were not adopted past birth.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you going that a US passport wouldn't be accepted?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Nigel84
What documents did you include with your application? The Embassy is very particular on how they want the documents. Birth certificates had to have been issued and the copy you have had to have been printed within 3 months of your birth. If not, they want further proof that you were not adopted past birth.
Did someone in the Embassy say that's the reason? If so, it's unclear as to why, as adoption out to foreign parents does not cause (and has never caused) loss of British citizenship.

Or does the US show a birth certificate with adoptive parents substituted for the original ones, hence the unwillingness to accept recent copies?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

I included all the necessary and proper documents, so there should be no problems. The embassy has never contacted me about a problem with the application and they have also charged me for the passport, so I think it is fair to assume that it is okay.

I am planning to live between Brazil and Portugal teaching English and creating a business.

So that is why I am pursuing my British passport.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did someone in the Embassy say that's the reason? If so, it's unclear as to why, as adoption out to foreign parents does not cause (and has never caused) loss of British citizenship.

Or does the US show a birth certificate with adoptive parents substituted for the original ones, hence the unwillingness to accept recent copies?
Yes the Embassy said that birth certificates can be changed to show the adoptive parents as the biological parents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.