Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Apparently I don't like the Irish.

Apparently I don't like the Irish.

Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

I was talking to a guy from Dublin that lives here in the USA other day and he gets well annoyed at all the "plastic paddy's" that seem to cling to this "Irish American" tag. And the fact that the bars serve corned beef and cabbage as a traditional irish dish when he never knew of anyone ever eating it when he was in Ireland. LOL
Another thing that gets me is the "Great Guiness Toast" thing that gets promoted in all the bars here too...what's that all about? Don't remember that happening in my local in the UK.
Also there is the "pre guiness toast party" a few days before and the "pre- St Patricks Day party" a few days before SPD. Will there be a "Pre - Pre - St Patricks Day" or a "post St Patricks Day" party I wonder??
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Patrick
St Patrick is welsh, whats that got to do with anything - St George is Portugese but he is our patron saint!

Patrick

I thought St George came from Palestine ?
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:59 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

It must just be the American way of doing everything bigger. The St Pats parade in Belfast never seemed as big a hootnanny as the Boston parade. Mind you lots of years everyone jaunted over to DC for Clintons big St Pats bash and talkathon.

By the Way St Pat Was either Scottish or English(not known) but not Irish by birth. He was a protestant as well acording to Ian Paisley!!

I just say Sláinte to all myself!!

regards,

Duncan
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:00 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
By the Way St Pat Was either Scottish or English(not known) but not Irish by birth. He was a protestant as well acording to Ian Paisley!!
that fat gobshite is probably convinced the Pope is a proddy an all.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:01 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Maybe he moved to Portugal then, all I know is that he had something to do with Portugal and I don't think he ever came to England. Thats why some people want st columbus or Aiden as our patron saint because at least they where english.

Patrick
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Polaris_x
Unless, of course, it's Mountain Dew! Now THAT is a green drink that is AWESOME!
I never drink anything that could be mistaken for radiator coolant.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:13 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
I thought he was German.. or something to do with Germany...?

(I'll get back in me box)
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:21 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

His flag certainly came from France.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:33 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is -

he was a german-palestinian who went to live in portugal and stole a flag on the way through france. Makes perfect sense now. All this can be found on this site

www.wehaveno****ingideawherestgeorgeisfrom.com

Patrick
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:10 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by manc1976
that fat gobshite is probably convinced the Pope is a proddy an all.
Considering his country embarrassing protest in the European Parliament i doubt that! I was glad the Italians were punching him for it!!

Still 200,000 odd people voted for him in 1999!! Scary but then thousands here vote for Trent Lott as well.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:15 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
recent discussion with a guy in a pub.

him
"where are you from"

me
"Uk"

him
"I'm scotch irish myself"

me
"Ever been over there?"

him
"no, never."

me
"you're as scotch irish as I am venezuelan then"

at which point I remember the kicking before losing conciousness
You're odd. A person can claim to be Scotch Irish without having ever visited Scotland or Ireland.

What about ancestry? Americans are very much a mongrel bunch (this not meant be derogatory). I mean there aren't many Native Americans left these days...
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:21 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
You're odd.
thanks

Originally posted by NC Penguin
A person can claim to be Scotch Irish without having ever visited Scotland or Ireland.

What about ancestry? Americans are very much a mongrel bunch (this not meant be derogatory). I mean there aren't many Native Americans left these days...
How far back do you want them to go? the Mayflower?

Born in America, you are American. For a country so patriotic, they seem hell bent on wanting to be something else.
End of discussion as far as I am concerned.

but I'm odd.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Born in America, you are American. For a country so patriotic, they seem hell bent on wanting to be something else. End of discussion as far as I am concerned.

but I'm odd.
Well I guess I'm odd too, and I'm a scouser so Patrick will want to pick on me

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Feb 20th 2004 at 8:26 am.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:34 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Here it is -

he was a german-palestinian who went to live in portugal and stole a flag on the way through france. Makes perfect sense now. All this can be found on this site

www.wehaveno****ingideawherestgeorgeisfrom.com

Patrick

http://flagspot.net/flags/crus1188.html
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Where as when it comes to St Georges day(my birthday if you're sending cards )
SNAP!!!! my birhday too...also Billly Shakespeares as well...but the poor sod died on the same day as well..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.