Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anything to declare? Just a bunch of blu rays.

Anything to declare? Just a bunch of blu rays.

Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

breakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to all
Default Anything to declare? Just a bunch of blu rays.

One final question before I up and leave the UK tomorrow on my K1. We were planning on buying a region free blu ray/dvd player to save me replacing my whole collection of films (there are a lot). This means taking some with me on the first trip and likely shipping the rest later.

I’ve whittled it down to favourites to make this trip easier, but is there an issue with this with customs? Do I declare them? Do I look dodgy? I’m assuming there’s no problem since...well, they’re mine. I have 15 in the case.

Any possible issues?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:40 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anything to declare? Just a bunch of blu rays.

Originally Posted by breakerfall
One final question before I up and leave the UK tomorrow on my K1. We were planning on buying a region free blu ray/dvd player to save me replacing my whole collection of films (there are a lot). This means taking some with me on the first trip and likely shipping the rest later.

I’ve whittled it down to favourites to make this trip easier, but is there an issue with this with customs? Do I declare them? Do I look dodgy? I’m assuming there’s no problem since...well, they’re mine. I have 15 in the case.

Any possible issues?
I took over a whole bunch of expensive electrical items in my luggage. There is no requirement to declare them as far as I can remember. If you're unsure, ask the CBP officer.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:01 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I took over a whole bunch of expensive electrical items in my luggage. There is no requirement to declare them as far as I can remember. If you're unsure, ask the CBP officer.
I know it sounds daft but I've been wondering about this too. I'm sure the customs form asks about the value of items you're 'leaving' in the US, and I obviously don't want to get stuck with duty to pay on my own stuff! But as I'm not 'leaving' the items there (I'm obviously staying with them) then I'm guessing this is a non-issue?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:19 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
I know it sounds daft but I've been wondering about this too. I'm sure the customs form asks about the value of items you're 'leaving' in the US, and I obviously don't want to get stuck with duty to pay on my own stuff! But as I'm not 'leaving' the items there (I'm obviously staying with them) then I'm guessing this is a non-issue?
Have you owned them for over 12 months? If so, it's a non issue.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

we came through with a ton of stuff -- in suitcases. The only thing we declared was the tea and coffee, which for personal use are fine.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Have you owned them for over 12 months? If so, it's a non issue.
..... And in most ("all", IME) cases they have no apparent interest in checking or asking how long you have owned the personal household chattels you are bringing anyway.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubernathan
we came through with a ton of stuff -- in suitcases.
Was it bound for Florida?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:18 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
..... And in most ("all", IME) cases they have no apparent interest in checking or asking how long you have owned the personal household chattels you are bringing anyway.
I was going to say, I'll only have had my wedding dress for 3 months when I fly but it's just an 'off the rack' one, not like it's worth $$$. It's going rolled up in my carry on
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Rip the films to an external hard drive and just bring that. Far easier and less hassle. Then plug the drive into your computer / console / Blu-ray player / smart TV and just play them directly from there.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
Rip the films to an external hard drive and just bring that. Far easier and less hassle. .....
"Rip the films to an external hard drive" v "pick up the closed DVD cases and place them in your case".

You have an interesting perspective on what is "easy" and causes "hassle".
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Rip the films to an external hard drive" v "pick up the closed DVD cases and place them in your case".

You have an interesting perspective on what is "easy" and causes "hassle".
Well, carrying one small thing as opposed to a bunch of bigger things is easier in my book.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:17 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breakerfall

Any possible issues?
Photo needed in order to answer this question.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:14 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Technically, if the DVDs are pirated, Customs could seize them. There are also rumors of extremely steep fines though I've not seen the actually language on that.

This is what the CBP website says:

Prohibited and Restricted Items | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
In regard to copyright infringement, articles that are determined by CBP to be clearly piratical of a protected copyright, i.e., unauthorized articles that are substantially similar to a material protected by a copyright, are subject to seizure. A personal use exemption for articles, similar to that described above also applies to copyrighted articles for the personal, non-commercial use of the importer and are not for sale or distribution.

You may bring back genuine trademarked and copyrighted articles (subject to duties). Products subject to copyright protection most commonly imported include software on CD-ROMs, sound recordings, toys, stuffed animals, clothing with cartoon characters, videotapes, DVDs, music CDs and books. Products subject to trademark protection most commonly imported include handbags and accessories, and clothing.
However, if you go to the travel message boards you find people do it all the time without getting queried.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
Well, carrying one small thing as opposed to a bunch of bigger things is easier in my book.
This is exactly what we did. Reduced a several bookcases of CDs and DVDs to a 6x6x6 cube of NAS. but then we're nerds.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

mrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ubernathan
This is exactly what we did. Reduced a several bookcases of CDs and DVDs to a 6x6x6 cube of NAS. but then we're nerds.
Exactly! Bonus points if it lives in the cloud somewhere and you can just download it.

One of the big benefits of our move has been letting go of all the extraneous media - we have the kids' DVDs / blu-rays and pretty much everything else has been ripped.

Smart TVs that play anything - even ripped stuff on a USB stick - are now relatively inexpensive. You'll be buying new electronics here anyway.

But back to the original question - never had any issues bringing old stuff into the country - I think customs are actually pretty reasonable and they're not looking to catch you out. When i've heard of people inadvertently bringing in things they shouldn't (one v smart guy bringing in lots of bottles of very rare whisky for example...) he was given the choice of pouring it away or paying the big duty / fine. For a few blu-rays you're prob safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.