Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone used paypal when selling a vechicle

Anyone used paypal when selling a vechicle

Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Yogibear1961 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone used paypal when selling a vechicle

As we are hoping to move back to the UK in April I put my scooter up for sale and have an offer, but the person wants to pay via paypal. Has anyone ever done this? Is this safe? Do you think this maybe a scam?even though paypal guarantees your money they don't on vechicle sales.
Help please any advise
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

scandinavianlass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone used paypal when selling a vechicle

I sold my car on ebay when I first moved abroad back in 2006, the guy paid me a deposit via Paypal and the rest when he collected the car.
The only advice I would give is not to give him the Scooter until his payment has cleared / shows in your paypal account.
Good luck!
Old Nov 16th 2013, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yogibear1961
As we are hoping to move back to the UK in April I put my scooter up for sale and have an offer, but the person wants to pay via paypal. Has anyone ever done this? Is this safe? Do you think this maybe a scam?even though paypal guarantees your money they don't on vechicle sales.
Help please any advise
I'd advise take paypal as a deposit then ask for the balance via bank transfer. Paypal protects the buyer not the seller in most cases.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Help please any advise
paypal is one of the safest, ways of paying on line, if they pay by paypal you can see money before they pick up scooter, just say once its cleared you can pick it up
Old Nov 17th 2013, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Yogibear1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone buyer back out when I asked how we would deal with transfer of ownership. So back to square one, cannot move forward until it sells. Selling the car I hope will be better.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone buyer back out when I asked how we would deal with transfer of ownership. So back to square one, cannot move forward until it sells. Selling the car I hope will be better.
I think you might just have been dealing with someone trying to scam you.

Be careful, I have been using Paypal for a long time but the most I have ever taken was $3000 for a telescope and only because I knew I didn't have to ship it for two weeks after I got the money. I have had a couple of situations as a seller where I felt Paypal were not batting for me at all.

Good luck in the sale
Old Nov 17th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moggi1964
I think you might just have been dealing with someone trying to scam you.

Be careful, I have been using Paypal for a long time but the most I have ever taken was $3000 for a telescope and only because I knew I didn't have to ship it for two weeks after I got the money. I have had a couple of situations as a seller where I felt Paypal were not batting for me at all.

Good luck in the sale
+1