Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone from the UK opened a small business in the US, what's your story?

Anyone from the UK opened a small business in the US, what's your story?

Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

unclerico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone from the UK opened a small business in the US, what's your story?

Has anyone come to the US to tour and then decided to open a small business in the US? LA particularly? Whats your story and how did u find the Visa Process?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone from the UK opened a small business in the US, what's your story?

Originally Posted by unclerico
Has anyone come to the US to tour and then decided to open a small business in the US? LA particularly? Whats your story and how did u find the Visa Process?
Here is a recent thread from someone who is thinking of opening a small business (hair salon) in the LA area: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776459

In another thread, though, you mentioned trying to find an agent for your acting career in LA, and going on auditions. Are you also in the market for starting a small business of some sort? Do you have an existing business back in the UK that can expand into the USA (keeping the UK branch up and running, of course)?

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Anyone from the UK opened a small business in the US, what's your story?

Hi Noorah, I am classed as self employed in the UK and run an ebay business, its been running for 3 years, Id say I make a steady wage out of it and I get to choose my owns hours which has given me the opportunity to go to acting classes. If it would mean I could stay over in the US for longer than a waiver I would definitely be interested in starting something up, is it better for me to keep things running over here? And what type of visa would I be entitled to if I came over and started an internet business up? From what I hear from previous advice is that starting up a business over there requires a lot of capital to start with and it still doesnt mean you can stay in the country whilst your business is running. If you have any advice that would be fantastic, it just might be my ticket to do my hobby (acting on the side)
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unclerico
Hi Noorah, I am classed as self employed in the UK and run an ebay business, its been running for 3 years, Id say I make a steady wage out of it and I get to choose my owns hours which has given me the opportunity to go to acting classes. If it would mean I could stay over in the US for longer than a waiver I would definitely be interested in starting something up, is it better for me to keep things running over here? And what type of visa would I be entitled to if I came over and started an internet business up? From what I hear from previous advice is that starting up a business over there requires a lot of capital to start with and it still doesnt mean you can stay in the country whilst your business is running. If you have any advice that would be fantastic, it just might be my ticket to do my hobby (acting on the side)
If you are going to keep your UK business up and running, but transferring yourself to open a US branch of the business, that's an L visa.

If you are not keeping the UK branch open, but are opening a totally new business in the USA, then it might be some kind of investment visa, I'm not sure.

I don't know how well an online type business will fit these visas, though. Have a consultation with an immigration attorney to go over your options.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

That I will Noorah thanks for replying. I have an appointment booked next week again. Turning my business into a physical business I agree would probably be best for me if I choose this route.