Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in the same boat?

Anyone in the same boat?

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:22 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone in the same boat?

Hello everyone

I have been lurking around for the last six months, occasionally posting.

We have just had our H1B visa application approved so we are finally on our way to Pittsburgh, PA.
Now that we are under starters orders the whole thing seems really daunting and I wondered if there was anyone else out there making the move this year.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:52 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in the same boat?

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Hello everyone

I have been lurking around for the last six months, occasionally posting.

We have just had our H1B visa application approved so we are finally on our way to Pittsburgh, PA.
Now that we are under starters orders the whole thing seems really daunting and I wondered if there was anyone else out there making the move this year.
I live in Pittsburgh - aren't you happy to be coming here?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:52 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
I live in Pittsburgh - aren't you happy to be coming here?
Yes. It looks a great city and we are looking forward to starting a new life there. I have never been to Pittsburgh, husband went over for interview and spent a week there. But you have to live somewhere before you really know it.This whole process began a year ago and getting the visa approved has moved us a giant step forward. There is always that nagging doubt......are we doing the right thing.
I'm sure we are.
Now we seem to have so much to do to get ready. Thats the daunting part!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:08 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Yes. It looks a great city and we are looking forward to starting a new life there. I have never been to Pittsburgh, husband went over for interview and spent a week there. But you have to live somewhere before you really know it.This whole process began a year ago and getting the visa approved has moved us a giant step forward. There is always that nagging doubt......are we doing the right thing.
I'm sure we are.
Now we seem to have so much to do to get ready. Thats the daunting part!!!!
Absolutely understand. I had the same feelings. I felt emotional and disorganized. I was doing it all without my husband as I was moving here to be with him. I had a lot of help from friends and relatives. Practical and emotional.

As for asking yourself if you are doing the right thing you would need a crystal ball to answer that question. But, what you can say is that with the information you have you are doing the right thing for now. Who is to say what the future holds? A certain amount of anxiety is normal, once you recognise it you can move forward. Too much can be paralysing and you do have a lot to do.

I can also relate to the anticlimatic feeling after getting your visa. That process you have been immersed in has finally concluded, it's a strange kind of feeling.

Well, you are onto the next stage. Get planning. It's a lot of work but it's just another step in the process. Go on, let yourself get excited