British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone planning on sending their kids back to the UK for University?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-planning-sending-their-kids-back-uk-university-286757/)

Perfumdiva1 Feb 26th 2005 6:30 pm

Anyone planning on sending their kids back to the UK for University??

I would appreciate any info regarding the above subject

I have heard that if you accept the green card here, then u have to pay foreign student fees in the UK

Any info would be great

Ta

PD

Bob Feb 26th 2005 6:35 pm

Re: Anyone planning on sending their kids back to the UK for University??

There was a good thread on this already a few weeks back, I think in the moving back to UK forum...check that for info...

As for foreign fees', it's all down to residency....have to be resident for 2 or 3 years, cna't remember which...

Bob Feb 26th 2005 6:39 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280981

That's the thread, even...

SeveredNeurons Feb 26th 2005 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
I have heard that if you accept the green card here, then u have to pay foreign student fees in the UK

Even if you accept a Green Card, then you still have your UK passport, don't you? So, that wouldn't influence whether you paid UK, EU or non EU tuition fees. I think it's like Bob eloquently stated "It's all down to residency". However, I think that your first port of call should be the ucas web page. I haven't navigated the site since the late nineties upon entering tertiary education myself, but I think you'll find it particularly useful.....enjoy.

SeveredNeurons Feb 26th 2005 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Bob beat me to it. Excellent thread, contains all the info you need.

JAJ Feb 27th 2005 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by SeveredNeurons
Even if you accept a Green Card, then you still have your UK passport, don't you? So, that wouldn't influence whether you paid UK, EU or non EU tuition fees. I think it's like Bob eloquently stated "It's all down to residency". However, I think that your first port of call should be the ucas web page. I haven't navigated the site since the late nineties upon entering tertiary education myself, but I think you'll find it particularly useful.....enjoy.

It should be remembered that there is a risk that if a teenager goes back to the UK for university, he or she will risk losing the green card. Only by becoming a US citizen beforehand can this be safely done if coming back to the US is a priority.

Also - if the intention is to return to the US, a British education may not be as well recognised as a US university education.

Jeremy

Rete Feb 27th 2005 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
It should be remembered that there is a risk that if a teenager goes back to the UK for university, he or she will risk losing the green card. Only by becoming a US citizen beforehand can this be safely done if coming back to the US is a priority.

Also - if the intention is to return to the US, a British education may not be as well recognised as a US university education.

Jeremy

The operative word is "might" If the child applies for a re-entry permit (Form I-131) before leaving they can remain outside of the US for up to two years. Before expiration of the I-131 they apply for a second one during a return to the US to visit with the parents (assumably with dirty laundry and a need for cash <s>). As long as mom and dad or a parent is still inside of the US as a PR, the child should not be thought to have abandoned residency as the stay outside was for educational reasons.

Rete