Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone planning on sending their kids back to the UK for University??

Anyone planning on sending their kids back to the UK for University??

Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:30 pm
Perfumdiva1

Default Anyone planning on sending their kids back to the UK for University??

I would appreciate any info regarding the above subject

I have heard that if you accept the green card here, then u have to pay foreign student fees in the UK

Any info would be great

Ta

PD

Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone planning on sending their kids back to the UK for University??

There was a good thread on this already a few weeks back, I think in the moving back to UK forum...check that for info...

As for foreign fees', it's all down to residency....have to be resident for 2 or 3 years, cna't remember which...
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone planning on sending their kids back to the UK for University??

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280981

That's the thread, even...
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:46 pm
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
I have heard that if you accept the green card here, then u have to pay foreign student fees in the UK
Even if you accept a Green Card, then you still have your UK passport, don't you? So, that wouldn't influence whether you paid UK, EU or non EU tuition fees. I think it's like Bob eloquently stated "It's all down to residency". However, I think that your first port of call should be the ucas web page. I haven't navigated the site since the late nineties upon entering tertiary education myself, but I think you'll find it particularly useful.....enjoy.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:47 pm
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
Bob beat me to it. Excellent thread, contains all the info you need.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeveredNeurons
Even if you accept a Green Card, then you still have your UK passport, don't you? So, that wouldn't influence whether you paid UK, EU or non EU tuition fees. I think it's like Bob eloquently stated "It's all down to residency". However, I think that your first port of call should be the ucas web page. I haven't navigated the site since the late nineties upon entering tertiary education myself, but I think you'll find it particularly useful.....enjoy.
It should be remembered that there is a risk that if a teenager goes back to the UK for university, he or she will risk losing the green card. Only by becoming a US citizen beforehand can this be safely done if coming back to the US is a priority.

Also - if the intention is to return to the US, a British education may not be as well recognised as a US university education.

Jeremy
Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It should be remembered that there is a risk that if a teenager goes back to the UK for university, he or she will risk losing the green card. Only by becoming a US citizen beforehand can this be safely done if coming back to the US is a priority.

Also - if the intention is to return to the US, a British education may not be as well recognised as a US university education.

Jeremy

The operative word is "might" If the child applies for a re-entry permit (Form I-131) before leaving they can remain outside of the US for up to two years. Before expiration of the I-131 they apply for a second one during a return to the US to visit with the parents (assumably with dirty laundry and a need for cash <s>). As long as mom and dad or a parent is still inside of the US as a PR, the child should not be thought to have abandoned residency as the stay outside was for educational reasons.

Rete