Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving to Boston in the Spring?

Anyone moving to Boston in the Spring?

Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:22 am
Just Joined

philbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moving to Boston in the Spring?

Originally Posted by janj
Phil,
I was just wondering how your recce went? Did you have a successful trip in terms of finding housing and daycare?
Let me know if I can be of any help.
Jan
Hi Jan,
We had a good trip. We got a pre-school sorted out for our little girl which was more of a priority as we have a few months of rent covered by the relocation package (an apartment in Newton).
We covered quite a lot of ground and have more of an idea where we are going to focus our searches when we get over next month. We liked Wellesley, Newton and Needham. We also liked Concord and saw some nice places near South Natick.
Got some info/contacts for jobs too so a very worthwhile trip. And also some fly-fishing info which will keep me busy.
It will be full steam ahead mid-april when we get a few days behind us and my wife starts work and the little one goes to nursery/pre-school.
I will get in touch if I need to pick your brains, thanks.
Phil
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philbrown901
H
We covered quite a lot of ground and have more of an idea where we are going to focus our searches when we get over next month. We liked Wellesley, Newton and Needham. We also liked Concord and saw some nice places near South Natick.
Concord is lovely but the morning commute to the other side isn't to fun. South Natick is lovely, the library is great for kids and the co-op farm down the road ain't to bad, but the belkin farm for apple picking is the biggest rip off, but there's loads of other cool family things to do in the area.

Though you'd still probably want to stay on the inside of Wellesley if you've got to commute into Boston for sanity sakes
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Wow, quite a few Bostonians BE'ers here. I should host a meet-up this summer.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:01 am
Plunged in

TimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to all

Originally Posted by USAalltheway
My husband (UKC) and I (USC) are planning on moving to Boston in the Spring.
It's not going to be spring, but we're starting to move pieces around the board for a move in early autumn next year. My wife's family live about an hour north west of Boston so we're going to be with the for a while.

This site is a goldmine of information and the members are super-friendly. I'm scouring it for any information I can possibly find!

Hope your move goes well. I'll be following your story for any hints I can pick up!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILDER
Wow, quite a few Bostonians BE'ers here. I should host a meet-up this summer.
There's a FB group who have a monthly meet up which gets a lot of traffic and there's another one that started as a meetup.com group but on FB too that meet up in the burbs, they arranged a few meet ups during the 6Nations in Framingham.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a FB group who have a monthly meet up which gets a lot of traffic and there's another one that started as a meetup.com group but on FB too that meet up in the burbs, they arranged a few meet ups during the 6Nations in Framingham.
Fantastic. what is the facebook group called?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Fantastic. what is the facebook group called?
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2263216767 They meet up usually first Thursday every month I think, and also at most events like Halloween, Christmas etc and a bunch play in various footie 5 aside teams, there's even a cricket team.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2410849777 bit more general

And also http://www.meetup.com/British-Expats/
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2263216767 They meet up usually first Thursday every month I think, and also at most events like Halloween, Christmas etc and a bunch play in various footie 5 aside teams, there's even a cricket team.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2410849777 bit more general

And also http://www.meetup.com/British-Expats/
Thanks! this should be fun.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thanks! this should be fun.
The Brit consulate also holds quite a few fun events for free.

They had a Brit university alumni meet up before Christmas with loads of free booze and nibbles, was a huge turn out, though I was the only one from Brunel But they've held a few other events too, kind of fun and across the street from the T so pretty easy to get to, where MIT is located.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:46 am
Just Joined

FlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
That caught my eye

Another one headed Boston-wards here. Hopefully in a couple of months (depending on intra-company visa etc). My colleague is starting to flood me with apartment details in various areas
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by FlyingBadger
That caught my eye

Another one headed Boston-wards here. Hopefully in a couple of months (depending on intra-company visa etc). My colleague is starting to flood me with apartment details in various areas
good luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

drcharliegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FlyingBadger
That caught my eye

Good luck - Boston is very kind to the British ex-pats - if you can forgive them all the tea party jokes (the joke's on them with the advent of Sarah Palin, honestly!)

Charlie