Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stolen UK passport - processing in DC

Stolen UK passport - processing in DC

Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

liveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really nice
Default Stolen UK passport - processing in DC

Hi all

I'm in South America at the moment but I was hoping you guys wouldn't mind me butting in as we are all in the same boat with this one! I'm refering to UK passports for Brits in the Americas being processed in Washington.

I was mugged here in SA and had my UK passport stolen and I am hoping I can obtain a new full passport whilst abroad. I can get a document to travel back to the UK (to get a full passport) but I don't want the upheaval and expense of this piece of otherwise unnecessary travel.

For a full passport application I will need my photos countersigned by a respectable person but I know nobody in South America who can do this for me and anyway I have not been here 2 years. I have several people in the UK who could vouch for me though.

Other than that my application couldn't be simpler in that I will be surrendering my emergency travel document with photo which states I am a British citizen and due to my birth in the UK before 1982 I am entitled to a British passport.

Has anyone been in this situation and can offer encouragement or advice?

thank you
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stolen UK passport - processing in DC

You may not need the photos countersigning.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...50&postcount=9
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

liveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really niceliveinthesunshine is just really nice

Thanks Jerseygirl.

That would be so sweet if I didn't need a countersignature. However I fear that because I have lost a passport (am not renewing my full passport, just surrendering a travel document that looks a lot like a passport) I am subject to additional scrutiny.

I am hoping that common sense would prevail when my application gets to the top of the pile but...
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveinthesunshine

That would be so sweet if I didn't need a countersignature. However I fear that because I have lost a passport (am not renewing my full passport, just surrendering a travel document that looks a lot like a passport) I am subject to additional scrutiny.
It just needs to be a person of "professional" standing if you did need a counter sig, so a teacher, lawyer, doctor...all the usual suspects.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bob

The problem I have is that I have nobody in SAmerica of professional standing that could vouch for me (and anyway I have not been here 2 years).

I have long-standing friends in the UK (who saw me a few months ago on my recent visit) who could vouch for me.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob

The problem I have is that I have nobody in SAmerica of professional standing that could vouch for me (and anyway I have not been here 2 years).
They don't need to have known you for 2 years.

They just have to be of professional standing and confirm the ID you show them looks like you and the photo's you are providing essentially.

Get someone in a bank to do it, or a notary public etc.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
They don't need to have known you for 2 years.

They just have to be of professional standing and confirm the ID you show them looks like you and the photo's you are providing essentially.

Get someone in a bank to do it, or a notary public etc.
Thanks Bob.

Is that really the case? The notes for form C1 say that this person should have known me personally for two years, that's all. Do you know someone who has been through something similar?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I am doubting your expertise.

That's great news if this requirement can be modified in an otherwise straightforward case.

Last edited by liveinthesunshine; Jan 21st 2011 at 12:55 am. Reason: didn't mean to sound like I was doubting an expert
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thanks Bob.

Is that really the case? The notes for form C1 say that this person should have known me personally for two years, that's all. Do you know someone who has been through something similar?
I don't know about the case of having a passport stolen and having to get photo's done, but there are plenty of threads where, Dean, "British Consul" on BE has said counter sig isn't needed if you haven't significantly changed since previous photo's, and that if you have, that the person signing only has to be of professional status in the community such as a banker, lawyer etc, etc and if you really want to be more comfortable about it, get a notary public to do it.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:41 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Our passports got stolen whilst we were here.. we replaced them through Washington DC and didn't need a countersignature..
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Our passports got stolen whilst we were here.. we replaced them through Washington DC and didn't need a countersignature..
That depends if your appearance has changed. If in doubt I suggest liveinthesunshine contacts Dean for advice.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Thanks for replying Burn1911. Sorry to hear this happened to you too. Can I ask when this was? The rules have changed in the last year or two.

Jerseygirl: my appearance hasn't changed since the issue of the (now stolen) passport 7 years ago.

As suggested I have contacted Dean for guidance.

with thanks to all
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for replying Burn1911. Sorry to hear this happened to you too. Can I ask when this was? The rules have changed in the last year or two.

Jerseygirl: my appearance hasn't changed since the issue of the (now stolen) passport 7 years ago.

As suggested I have contacted Dean for guidance.

with thanks to all
If your appearance hasn't changed you should be OK. Your previous info including photo should be on file. If in doubt I suggest you wait for Dean's guidance.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Stolen UK passport - processing in DC

Responded to PM. Advice is that given above.

Thanks

Dean
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to all for taking the time to reply.

Fingers crossed that they are able to process my application relatively quickly!

best wishes
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:34 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to all for taking the time to reply.

Fingers crossed that they are able to process my application relatively quickly!

best wishes
Hi,

How are things? Did you get your new passport ok?

Sue