Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone from michigan?

anyone from michigan?

Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:11 am
Just Joined

1969jack is an unknown quantity at this point
Question anyone from michigan?

Hi there I just found this web site and wondered if there were any one from Michigan around. I am originally from London and would love to chat with you about life. ( you know eastenders, coronation street etc.)

drop me a line.

bye
Old Jun 12th 2004, 3:45 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there, not only am I in Michigan, but I'm also in Lansing. Small world!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 4:25 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm oop norf near Traverse
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:27 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Ann Arbor
Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:39 pm
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice
Default Re: anyone from michigan?

My British husband and I live in Grand Rapids.

There seems to be loads of British Expats living in Michigan for some reason. Maybe Michigander folks spend more time online chatting up you Brits because of there being only two seasons here....snow and mosquito.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

heres another brit in grand rapids

Ash
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

i'm even further up north ... nearly a troll even. So yeah give us a shout, it looks to me like its getting dangerously near get-together time !

Jan
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to say ... Harbor Springs near Petoskey ... tip of ur wedding finger
Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by dgsyd1
Hello there, not only am I in Michigan, but I'm also in Lansing. Small world!
That is a small world how long have you been in the US... and do you have any pearls of wisdom re: meeting folks in this small town?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by thing1
My British husband and I live in Grand Rapids.

There seems to be loads of British Expats living in Michigan for some reason. Maybe Michigander folks spend more time online chatting up you Brits because of there being only two seasons here....snow and mosquito.
when's the last anyone went home to the uk? I got such a shock when I went home and realised how high tech we were compared to the us you can email from pay phones and everyone was text messaging years before it became popular over here. when I lived in england I always thought that america was so advanced but its actually the other way around
Old Jun 13th 2004, 3:17 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by 1969jack
when I lived in england I always thought that america was so advanced but its actually the other way around

So true.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

fitting in ... .hmmmm well up here it mainly consists of commenting on their truck / gun / where to fish/hunt not saying that theyre a bit errmm backwoods but world politics over a pint just aint their thing !

Went back to blighty in December, everythings sooo small !! and the houses have them weee gardens and youre right we were texting wayy before they even got digital phones over here.

Jan
Old Jun 13th 2004, 2:08 pm
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

when's the last anyone went home to the uk? I got such a shock when I went home and realised how high tech we were compared to the us you can email from pay phones and everyone was text messaging years before it became popular over here. when I lived in england I always thought that america was so advanced but its actually the other way around
My husband has been here a year now and has yet to go back for a visit. We are planning a trip to England to visit his family the first of the new year.

Thing2, my husband, has always been amazed at how far behind we in the US are compared to the UK. He finds it unbelievable that curved face full screen TVs are still available and readily bought by consumers. And many of those same consumers also prefer their full screen DVDs instead of the widescreen variety.

Thing2 also thinks the electrical system we have here is archaic as is our banking system...which I tend to agree with.

There are some areas we are ahead of the UK such as HDTV and I'm fairly certain cable internet was widely available to the masses here before it was there. But you see, I think even though we sometimes have technological advances before the UK, I think the UK more readily embraces these advances. Here in the US a mass majority of people cling to the past. My own brother says he prefers video to DVD. Now how archaic is that?

Although emailing from pay phones is a novel idea, I think here is the US they would be vandalized beyond use in a short amount of time therefore making it not very profitable. I'm guessing there are about a third of the pay phones in exisitence that we had 20 years ago. And I can't even think if one actual "phone booth" where we live.

How long have you been in the US?

Last edited by thing1; Jun 13th 2004 at 2:10 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here about 18 months and have been back to the UK twice and hopefully I will be making my 3 rd trip late this summer. You right about the cell phone... also seems like more people have them over there. How long have you been here?

Ash
Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:24 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a small world how long have you been in the US... and do you have any pearls of wisdom re: meeting folks in this small town?
I've been in the US for almost exactly 4 years (June 21st 2000), and I still get homesick sometimes. Been back to Blighty a couple of times, we usually go in May, but we will probably be going in October this year because we recently became parents for the first time
Not much to do around here I'm afraid, especially now all the students have left MSU for the summer. I'm always up for meetimg people from back home though lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.