Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in Atlanta?

Anyone living in Atlanta?

Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

mollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant future
Default Anyone living in Atlanta?

The usual story....We are considering relocating to Atlanta, as I have a job offer. I have no idea what Atlanta is like, and want to hear some views from some of you who moved there.

I have a wife and 2 young children, and want to know what it's like for them. My wife will not be working as she will be a stay-at-home-mum.

My concerns are whether the money is good enough, and also the lack of holidays. I get 17 working days a year, that's inc. national holidays. So that would be 10 "vacation" days, as opposed to 20 what we have here in England.... not a lot, is it..... how do you all cope with the holiday situation? Do you get to go on hols? If you spend those 2 weeks going back to family etc., then you won't have time to go holiday-ing in other parts of the country/world....

Salary question is a bit difficult I know, since we all have different spending habits, and also it depends on the type of job and position. But we feel that the offer is not enough, even though some people tell us that it's cheaper than London. But is it?!

Anyone have any views?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:35 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone living in Atlanta?

Ive lived in Atlanta for 20 years, about 30 miles north of downtown. The cost of living is very affordable here but the commute is one of the worse ones in the US. It takes my wife about 90 mins to go 25 miles twice a day!!
Downtown is boring, concrete square buildings, but the mountains are close and the ocean isn't far either and the airport covers any travel needs.
Cant comment on vacation time as I work for myself, other than to say its crap, I couldnt take it!
Rob
Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I can comment on vaction time - it's an utterly ridiculous state of affairs and will probably worsen your life to the point of being miserable if you like to travel and go on a couple of holidays a year.

If we ever move back to the UK, the lack of vacation will be up the number one reason. It effin stinks. I used to go skiing in the winter, holidaying in the summer for 2 weeks, and go and use the rest to pop to see my parents/friends throughout the year when I was in the UK/Europe. Here, I have not gone home once in 2 years, and the only travel I do is business travel.

If I was you, I'd be more interested in negotiating 4+ weeks off than a bit extra salary. I think this is where your average Brit differs from your average American - we value time off, they value extra dollars in the pocket.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:41 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mollymalone
The usual story....We are considering relocating to Atlanta, as I have a job offer. I have no idea what Atlanta is like, and want to hear some views from some of you who moved there.

I have a wife and 2 young children, and want to know what it's like for them. My wife will not be working as she will be a stay-at-home-mum.

My concerns are whether the money is good enough, and also the lack of holidays. I get 17 working days a year, that's inc. national holidays. So that would be 10 "vacation" days, as opposed to 20 what we have here in England.... not a lot, is it..... how do you all cope with the holiday situation? Do you get to go on hols? If you spend those 2 weeks going back to family etc., then you won't have time to go holiday-ing in other parts of the country/world....

Salary question is a bit difficult I know, since we all have different spending habits, and also it depends on the type of job and position. But we feel that the offer is not enough, even though some people tell us that it's cheaper than London. But is it?!

Anyone have any views?

I have never been to Atlanta but my bosses family all live there and so he visits quite often. He's always commenting on how clean the area is compared to other cities he's been to and also that the weather is great.

The lack of holiday will get to you, we get nothing compared to the UK. In my job we have set time off every year so I have to travel home when I'm told to basically. This wouldn't be such a problem but we are closed for the most expensive travel times of the year (Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Christmas/New Year etc.). I practically have to re-mortgage my house just to buy a plane ticket during any of those times.

As everyone will tell you, medical will be one of your biggest expenses and probably the thing that you notice the most coming from the NHS.

Living in the US has it's good and bad points the same as living in the UK. Prepare yourself for a huge culture change but if you decide to come enjoy your time here, America has a lot to offer.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:32 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any views?
Where will you be moving from in the UK?

Atlanta is a big city and from what I've heard, it has a sprawling suburbs which, as other posters have pointed out, has lead to terrible commute times to get to and from work.

Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport is one of the country's busiest and personally, I avoid changing planes there for that very reason.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:40 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to confirm that I am not in Atlanta.

That said, I would argue for both more money and more vacation. If they're stingy bastards they'll probably give you the vacation and keep the money, which might not be so bad. I'm fortunate to have more time off than I probably would in the UK, so if I ever leave my job I might have to reconsider. Like Dan says, it may be the one thing to convince me to go. So do your best to get that vacation time now.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

The usual story
eh?

the usual story is you're a plumber and want to live in Key Largo.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 4:00 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
eh?

the usual story is you're a plumber and want to live in Key Largo.
I've often wondered if these guys do H visas :
http://www.unionjackplumbing.com/index.htm

They operate in Texas and New Mexico too, don't know about Key Largo.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

there's a few out in that neck of the woods, Rincewind for one.

Anyway...holiday time, it won't be an issue in the end, because you'll be made to feel poo for wanting to take it off for a holiday, you won't generally be allowed to take a bunch of days off consecutively for a real holiday, and it's to pricey to get anywhere to enjoy it

If the salary package is crap, don't take it, relocation isn't cheap, and it's a hassle and if you dont' get anything decent to start with, it won't get better as you'll generally not get much of anything once you start.

Oh, other thing, holiday time, check that it doesn't include sick time....because the holiday time will get eaten up with half days here and there going to the doctors, waiting for the plumbers, a kids sporting event etc...
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:49 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind, would you disclose the salary range you thin is being stingy?

I live in nashville that is pretty close, and although smaller is pretty comparable in terms of cost of living

If you have a family income of 50k in the Uk then multiplying that by 1.8 for currency conversion should allow you to have a compfortable life in ATL...
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I have lived here in Atlanta for over 20 years out of 28 since moving from Canterbury, Kent. I am a Realtor here so may be able to advise you re costs, school districts etc. Where is the job offer exactly ? A short commute is preferred and I can give you some sound advice on the best parts of town. I have lived in 5 different parts of Atlanta - East and North mostly and now we're in Sandy Springs less than 6 miles from Buckhead, 8 from Midtown and 12 from Downtown. A salary of $70,000 will allow you to live fairly well in most of the better suburbs. House prices are reasonable - you'd be surprised at what you can get for $300,000. I really need more information to guide you properly - children, schools needed, lifestyle - city or suburbs, more rural. House style - #no of beds etc. Write me at [<<snip -pm for more info>>

Last edited by Bob; Nov 19th 2006 at 9:16 pm. Reason: details removed
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Richardson
Hi. I have lived here in Atlanta for over 20 years out of 28 since moving from Canterbury, Kent. I am a Realtor here so may be able to advise you re costs, school districts etc. Where is the job offer exactly ? A short commute is preferred and I can give you some sound advice on the best parts of town. I have lived in 5 different parts of Atlanta - East and North mostly and now we're in Sandy Springs less than 6 miles from Buckhead, 8 from Midtown and 12 from Downtown. A salary of $70,000 will allow you to live fairly well in most of the better suburbs. House prices are reasonable - you'd be surprised at what you can get for $300,000. I really need more information to guide you properly - children, schools needed, lifestyle - city or suburbs, more rural. House style - #no of beds etc. Write me at [<<snip -pm for more info>>
offering to help people out is one thing, but when your hardly part of the site, and just dolling out your contact info when people are looking to move, it comes across as spamming, even if all you have is good intentions.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:24 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
offering to help people out is one thing, but when your hardly part of the site, and just dolling out your contact info when people are looking to move, it comes across as spamming, even if all you have is good intentions.
Yeah, thats what I thought as well. Good on yer Bob!
Now if anyone needs some used Hornby Locos....................Ill get me coat
Rob
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The question was 'Anyone living in Atl' Well, I do live in Atl and am in a position to help out specifically if needed. What's the problem with that? I have been on this site for about a month off and on and wasn't aware there had to be a minimum number of posts or responses.I have noticed that there are some pretty crappy responses to some questions and the word 'busybody' comes to mind in a few of them ( no, not you Bob). In another thread somebody was asking about Orlando and more than response slammed Orlando for no apparent reason. I believed the intention of this site was to help with Brit Expat questions - was I wrong? Why are you questioning my motives when I'm clearly in a position to answer this question.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:09 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Richardson
The question was 'Anyone living in Atl' Well, I do live in Atl and am in a position to help out specifically if needed. What's the problem with that? I have been on this site for about a month off and on and wasn't aware there had to be a minimum number of posts or responses.I have noticed that there are some pretty crappy responses to some questions and the word 'busybody' comes to mind in a few of them ( no, not you Bob). In another thread somebody was asking about Orlando and more than response slammed Orlando for no apparent reason. I believed the intention of this site was to help with Brit Expat questions - was I wrong? Why are you questioning my motives when I'm clearly in a position to answer this question.
He wasn't - it was because you put your personal details etc on an open forum at least in another thread you did.
Any help is always appreciated or advice but putting out personal info does come accross as spamming. As I said in the other thread give your personal details in a pm.

Last edited by Irn-bru; Nov 20th 2006 at 12:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.