Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone live near Fayetteville NC?

Anyone live near Fayetteville NC?

Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone live near Fayetteville NC?

Had an interview for a job today, with a second scheduled for Thursday. It's a bit of a niche job for which I have the right experience and skills so without getting ahead of myself, I wouldn't be surprised if I get offered it.

I am currently in WA and am also still in the process for a job in Greenville SC. However if this offer comes up first I will go with it but I have a few questions/concerns about the Fayetteville area. Firstly, it seems to be a high crime city. I don't intend in living in the city and would live out of town more, but how bad is it there?

Secondly, I know the South is humid which doesn't bother me so much but I have concerns for my wife. She grew up in a hot but dry climate. I spent a summer in Knoxville TN 10 years ago and don't recall the humidity being something that especially bothered me, but I don't know how much more humid Fayetteville is compared to somewhere like Knoxville.

I try not to read too much online, because you generally only see the negatives but would appreciate any locals input on this. Thanks!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:14 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live near Fayetteville NC?

Can't think of anyone who lives in that State who would have any opinion.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

I live near there! I love it. People are friendly and I haven't experienced any crime. Some places to avoid but that's the same anywhere.

Southern Pines would be a lovely place to live if you can make the commute work. Downtown Fayetteville has some quirky old properties. Lots of new development everywhere - both commercial and residential.

The humidity is fine and gets easier for me every year. The rest of the year is mild and sunny, and winter is short.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is it used to be known as 'Faytette-nam' among US Army personnel owing to a reputation for, well, general shittyness.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Halfmoon,

That makes me feel at ease a bit more. I looked up relative climates of Fayettevile compared to Greenville SC and Knoxville TN and they seem pretty similar. I'm guessing the humidity is a think you get used to after a while? It doesn't bother me as I like heat.

Southern Pines would be a bit far for a commute as the job (if I get it) is a couple of miles South of the regional airport. but we aren't city people and definitely want somewhere more rural (we eventually want a small homestead type place). Any further info you can give will be much appreciated Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know a huge amount about Fayettville specifically, but pretty much all cities in NC are "high crime" in much of the urban core. But that criminality seems to be highly localized, so a mile or two away in the leafy 'burbs you won't have much to worry about. The criminality is mostly related, directly or indirectly to drugs, human trafficking, and related gang activities, mostly not things like burglaries, robberies, or random attacks. So in short, stay out of the rough parts of town, and you'll be fine!

FWIW criminality in NC is also localized around the major interstates, caused by drug and human trafficking from FL and TX up to DC and New England. Shootings and drug busts in cheap motels along the interstates are fairly common, but that is generally true, not just in NC.

My inlaws used to live in Knoxville, and it was IMO pretty sticky there in the summer - by reputation TN is worse than NC for humidity, but I would put them in the same ballpark. Mrs P comes from Virginia and says it is more humid here than her home town, and claims to have never really adjusted to it. IME "adjusting" means just getting over the fact that if you're outside for 15 minutes in the summer, your clothes will have wet patches on them - or five minutes, if you're so much as walking!
Originally Posted by RICH
Can't think of anyone who lives in that State who would have any opinion.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 1st 2017 at 4:59 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know a huge amount about Fayettville specifically, but pretty much all cities in NC are "high crime" in much of the urban core. But that criminality seems to be highly localized, so a mile or two away in the leafy 'burbs you won't have much to worry about. The criminality is mostly related, directly or indirectly to drugs, human trafficking, and related gang activities, mostly not things like burglaries, robberies, or random attacks. So in short, stay out of the rough parts of town, and you'll be fine!

FWIW criminality in NC is also localized around the major interstates, caused by drug and human trafficking from FL and TX up to DC and New England. Shootings and drug busts in cheap motels along the interstates are fairly common, but that is generally true, not just in NC.

My inlaws used to live in Knoxville, and it was IMO pretty sticky there in the summer - by reputation TN is worse than NC for humidity, but I would put them in the same ballpark. Mrs P comes from Virginia and says it is more humid here than her home town, and claims to have never really adjusted to it. IME "adjusting" means just getting over the fact that if you're outside for 15 minutes in the summer, your clothes will have wet patches on them - or five minutes, if you're so much as walking!

My short experience here backs up your point as I've driven through areas of complete shitness and then into a middleclass area within a couple miles.

One of my first summer vacations here whilst dating involved going for a walk in the park (there are some pretty parks in NC). After 2 minutes in 100+ heat my face was drenched - and it's not like i'm super unfit or anything!

I've stayed in a few hotels close to interstates, especially during a tour of the state. My two golden rules are never have a door that opens to the outside and never one that is literally just off an interstate.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Pulaski, For example where we leave now is considered a city with crime problems but as you say with Fayetteville, if you stay out of down town then you are mostly fine!

Interesting about your Knoxville comment, I don't remember it being unbearable sticky there when I was there in that August, which is a good thing if NC is similar. Thanks for posting, I'll keep you updated!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks also Tom
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth my husband equates Fayetteville with Gastonia - the last place on earth he'd ever live.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
For what it's worth my husband equates Fayetteville with Gastonia - the last place on earth he'd ever live.
OK, well I wouldn't live in Gastonia either, but I'd live in the area as there are some great areas within a few miles.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

The Fayette-Nam reputation was well deserved at one point! The city has pumped a lot of money into improvements over the last few years / decades. Some people still complain about being here, but I find they complain about everything anyway. One positive part about a military town is that most people have travelled to live here, and I don't stand out as an expat.

The area below the airport gets rural quickly, particularly south of 95. You might find the perfect property very close to where you work. My friend lived five miles south of the airport and kept chickens and goats at her place. The area around the airport is a bit bleak... but I think that's always the case. Staying away from the motels is wise advice.

We have friends as far out as Stedman - they wanted somewhere rural with a lot of land. This would still only be a 20-25 minute commute for you as it would avoid city traffic. Also plenty of places in between, and property is affordable.

If you wanted somewhere more central initially, Hope Mills is nice with good schools etc. We live west of Fayetteville and I would recommend it - but your commute would be 30/40 minutes from here.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you. That all sounds good.