Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone homesick?

Anyone homesick?

Old May 3rd 2017, 3:51 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone homesick?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Anyone who lets their dog run free on wooded land without wearing one of these is inviting tragedy.

http://www.whiskersandwaggles.com/Pr...Vest-2-380.jpg
I used to take my dog with us onto my boat, back in UK. I had a lifejacket for it and when we got in the tender - an inflatable - to go up the river to a pub, I would get the lifejacket out and my dog would look so miserable. He knew he would get soaked sitting at the front of the inflatable and he hated it! I think he also thought it wasn't attractive!!!
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone homesick?-img_3689.jpg

Of all the things we worried about leaving behind when we decided to go ahead with relocation not being able to allow to dogs to run free never occurred to me.

This is our usual 2 mile walk. It absolutely stunning at this time of year. I will be very sad not to be able to give our little canine pals this same freedom
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:50 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
Attachment 127661

Of all the things we worried about leaving behind when we decided to go ahead with relocation not being able to allow to dogs to run free never occurred to me.

This is our usual 2 mile walk. It absolutely stunning at this time of year. I will be very sad not to be able to give our little canine pals this same freedom
now that picture made me a bit homesick - just don't see that type of path, that type of light, or those hedges here. I miss having a dog too....
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
now that picture made me a bit homesick - just don't see that type of path, that type of light, or those hedges here. I miss having a dog too....
Ooops sorry
I know I'm going to miss it though. Everyday I go out in it I am grateful.
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:03 pm
Back in US & happy!

Ooops sorry
I know I'm going to miss it though. Everyday I go out in it I am grateful.
Ohh don't be sorry - it also happens every time I watch something like Midsomer Murders - as I said at the very beginning of this thread, it's landscape and old houses I miss. But I hadn't thought about that light!!

I think you will miss it, and I think you are right to go out as much as you can before you move. I look back now and wish I had spent more time walking my dogs before I moved, rather than all the sorting stuff.
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone homesick?-fullsizeoutput_5df.jpeg

How about this?

I'll stop now
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:29 pm
Back in US & happy!

Attachment 127662

How about this?

I'll stop now
Absolutely stunning. I am sure there are parts of America that have similar views, and 'just as good but different' views but there is certainly nothing like either of those 2 pictures near here. Those far reaching views of fields, hedges and woods are amazing. We have talked about seeing if we could spend a few months a year back in UK, probably a pipe dream, but I wouldn't mind having that as my life.
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

That's taken on the Ridgeway of the Vale of the White Horse - you can see the corner of the chalk horse in the picture. I don't imagine we're going to views like that near the burbs of Philadelphia
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capin
I miss the TV back home, TV in the US is appalling.

I also miss baked beans, bad.
Interesting. I thought TV shows in the UK generally weren't the best. I can see how growing up with it though, you get used to it. The main thing I liked was that there were no medicine commercials.
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:57 pm
Back in US & happy!

That's taken on the Ridgeway of the Vale of the White Horse - you can see the corner of the chalk horse in the picture. I don't imagine we're going to views like that near the burbs of Philadelphia
Oh yes I know exactly where that is. Yeah don't think there are chalk horses in Philadelphia. However, there is a giant clothespin sculpture there!!

https://www.usc.edu/schools/annenber...mages/806.html
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
Oh yes I know exactly where that is. Yeah don't think there are chalk horses in Philadelphia. However, there is a giant clothespin sculpture there!!
There are views like that all over central PA.
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:24 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
There are views like that all over central PA.
I think many people don't realize how rapidly one can be out of the city and into the country in the US. I know I was amazed by the proximity of beautiful countryside when I first came to NYC.
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faery
Anyone moved to USA from UK and gotten homesick after a number of years?
Not yet but it's only been a week
Old May 6th 2017, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I think many people don't realize how rapidly one can be out of the city and into the country in the US. I know I was amazed by the proximity of beautiful countryside when I first came to NYC.
My favorite jaunt out of New York City is up the Hudson - Storm King Mountain, West Point, Cold Spring. Utterly beautiful.
Old May 6th 2017, 2:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
My favorite jaunt out of New York City is up the Hudson - Storm King Mountain, West Point, Cold Spring. Utterly beautiful.
Absolutely -- that view from the Bear Mountain Bridge . . . such amazing scenery!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.