British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone got a slingbox for watching UK tv? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-got-slingbox-watching-uk-tv-484879/)

gypsygirl Oct 2nd 2007 6:56 pm

Anyone got a slingbox for watching UK tv?

Just wondering if it works?

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/slingbox.html

Jerseygirl Oct 2nd 2007 7:08 pm

Re: Anyone got a slingbox for watching UK tv?

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 5378892)

Use the search option and search for Slingbox in the US forums...it's been discussed before.

gypsygirl Oct 3rd 2007 2:25 am

I did that, but I actually have more specific questions I would like to ask someone who has one.

franc11s Oct 4th 2007 2:25 am

yes, i do, ask away.

g1ant Oct 5th 2007 2:27 pm

Although I'm not the OP on this thread, I'll kick off with a few questions of my own.

I'm hoping to set up a slingbox at my dad's house in England.

Current plan.
Pay for him to get multiroom on his Sky service including a Sky+ box. cost = £99 for the Sky box and £30 for installation. Get the new Sky box installed right next to his ADSL router.

Buy a UK slingbox for £99 from Dixons or similar.

Get a mate to go round and hook it up.

Pay my dad a tenner a month for the multiroom subscription.

does that sound about right?

Alex.

franc11s Oct 5th 2007 4:27 pm

That's it, in a nutshell. You'll need a hub or something attached the router, assuming you'll want to share other people on the (A)DSL router and asshuming the's no DHCP on the router you buy ?.

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 5390021)
Although I'm not the OP on this thread, I'll kick off with a few questions of my own.

I'm hoping to set up a slingbox at my dad's house in England.

Current plan.
Pay for him to get multiroom on his Sky service including a Sky+ box. cost = £99 for the Sky box and £30 for installation. Get the new Sky box installed right next to his ADSL router.

Buy a UK slingbox for £99 from Dixons or similar.

Get a mate to go round and hook it up.

Pay my dad a tenner a month for the multiroom subscription.

does that sound about right?

Alex.

g1ant Oct 5th 2007 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 5390369)
That's it, in a nutshell. You'll need a hub or something attached the router, assuming you'll want to share other people on the (A)DSL router and asshuming the's no DHCP on the router you buy ?.

He has a Netgear ADSL wireless router with 4 ethernet ports on the back. Not sure what model.

alex.

franc11s Oct 5th 2007 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 5390393)
He has a Netgear ADSL wireless router with 4 ethernet ports on the back. Not sure what model.

alex.

Perfect.....

shorrock Oct 5th 2007 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 5391231)
Perfect.....

If the person in the UK is running Windows Media Center (XP or Vista) install Web Guide. Its a slingbox plugin for MCE

g1ant Oct 5th 2007 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by shorrock (Post 5391368)
If the person in the UK is running Windows Media Center (XP or Vista) install Web Guide. Its a slingbox plugin for MCE

I didn't think the UK end required a computer apart from when setting up the system.

penguinsix Oct 5th 2007 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 5391453)
I didn't think the UK end required a computer apart from when setting up the system.

You might also need to configure the router's firewall to allow the Slingbox port to work, but after it is up and running it is pretty standalone.

UK_Tomcat_Fan Oct 9th 2007 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5391658)
You might also need to configure the router's firewall to allow the Slingbox port to work, but after it is up and running it is pretty standalone.

I travel around Europe for work :( and have a sling in my room, i have used it in Sweden France, germany etc i just plug my laptop into the Hotel TV and watch UK tv :D problem solved,

I shall be taking this to the states with me when i go on holiday to test.

I will probably take this when i emigrate (about 3 years time as i have my car to pay off :() which is something i need to ask advice on .....