Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a slingbox for watching UK tv?

Anyone got a slingbox for watching UK tv?

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone got a slingbox for watching UK tv?

Just wondering if it works?

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/slingbox.html
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got a slingbox for watching UK tv?

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Use the search option and search for Slingbox in the US forums...it's been discussed before.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

I did that, but I actually have more specific questions I would like to ask someone who has one.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 2:25 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

yes, i do, ask away.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:27 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Although I'm not the OP on this thread, I'll kick off with a few questions of my own.

I'm hoping to set up a slingbox at my dad's house in England.

Current plan.
Pay for him to get multiroom on his Sky service including a Sky+ box. cost = £99 for the Sky box and £30 for installation. Get the new Sky box installed right next to his ADSL router.

Buy a UK slingbox for £99 from Dixons or similar.

Get a mate to go round and hook it up.

Pay my dad a tenner a month for the multiroom subscription.

does that sound about right?

Alex.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:27 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

That's it, in a nutshell. You'll need a hub or something attached the router, assuming you'll want to share other people on the (A)DSL router and asshuming the's no DHCP on the router you buy ?.

Originally Posted by g1ant
Although I'm not the OP on this thread, I'll kick off with a few questions of my own.

I'm hoping to set up a slingbox at my dad's house in England.

Current plan.
Pay for him to get multiroom on his Sky service including a Sky+ box. cost = £99 for the Sky box and £30 for installation. Get the new Sky box installed right next to his ADSL router.

Buy a UK slingbox for £99 from Dixons or similar.

Get a mate to go round and hook it up.

Pay my dad a tenner a month for the multiroom subscription.

does that sound about right?

Alex.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:34 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
That's it, in a nutshell. You'll need a hub or something attached the router, assuming you'll want to share other people on the (A)DSL router and asshuming the's no DHCP on the router you buy ?.
He has a Netgear ADSL wireless router with 4 ethernet ports on the back. Not sure what model.

alex.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:17 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

He has a Netgear ADSL wireless router with 4 ethernet ports on the back. Not sure what model.

alex.
Perfect.....
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by franc11s
Perfect.....
If the person in the UK is running Windows Media Center (XP or Vista) install Web Guide. Its a slingbox plugin for MCE
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:20 pm
Country Member

Originally Posted by shorrock
If the person in the UK is running Windows Media Center (XP or Vista) install Web Guide. Its a slingbox plugin for MCE
I didn't think the UK end required a computer apart from when setting up the system.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:17 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think the UK end required a computer apart from when setting up the system.
You might also need to configure the router's firewall to allow the Slingbox port to work, but after it is up and running it is pretty standalone.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You might also need to configure the router's firewall to allow the Slingbox port to work, but after it is up and running it is pretty standalone.
I travel around Europe for work and have a sling in my room, i have used it in Sweden France, germany etc i just plug my laptop into the Hotel TV and watch UK tv problem solved,

I shall be taking this to the states with me when i go on holiday to test.

I will probably take this when i emigrate (about 3 years time as i have my car to pay off ) which is something i need to ask advice on .....