Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything good to say about the US medical system?

Anyone got anything good to say about the US medical system?

Old May 12th 2014, 3:05 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got anything good to say about the US medical system?

Originally Posted by Bink
This strikes a bit of a chord with me. My Brother-in-law was involved in a very nasty car wreck early 2012 and is quadriplegic as a result. He's 31 and fortunately he was able to get coverage on my Mother-in-laws insurance policy (very rare that an insurer would do that for someone that age). Sadly she lost her job and with it he has lost insurance coverage.
It's just disgusting. Would they not now be covered by the State picking up their medical bills if you don't mind me asking?

I think the moment I / my wife got ill, and lost our jobs etc, we would be on the first plane back to England with no intention of ever returning to this grotesque capitalist system.
Old May 12th 2014, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

The actual medical is fine, it's the billing systems (if you can call them that) that are messed up.

I got an explanation of benefit a couple of weeks ago saying that blood work that my wife had done by her in-network OB/GYN was out of network and I was liable for $6.5k! It wasn't the best of timing as it came just after we'd got some bad news as a result of that visit but I called up the insurance company and was basically like wtf?! All they would say to me was they had covered their portion and the rest was up to me (I would normally rate my insurance as very good but I was fuming with them).

After 3 days of messages to the OB/GYN office to see why they had sent blood work out of network without telling me (and why the fee for said blood work was in excess of $7.5k - the insurance kicked in $1k hence where the $6.5k came from) and they were like, oh you'll only get billed $25 for that, they just up the price to recoup costs from the insurer. Apparently most people don't get their EOB so quickly.

This just highlights to me how messed up the system is. It's all inflated and fictitious and it's an absolute nightmare trying to figure it all out. I'm really glad we have good insurance which takes care of things most of the time.
Exactly. You have to distinguish between health care and health insurance. Two very different things.

I have been here over 16 years now and I can say without any doubt that dealing with health insurance issues (claims, co-pays, deductibles, in network, out of network, pre-authorizations, HSA's, FSA's, etc) has been the single biggest PITA issue related to living in the US. It pains me to see so many health care workers spending so much of their time dealing with health insurance issues (e.g. claims, billing, coverage issues, etc.) We must waste billions of dollars every year on that alone.

On the other hand, the health care my family of 6 has received has been first class. I live in a region (Washington DC/Baltimore) that contains some of the best doctors and hospitals in the world. Of course, if you don't have a good health insurance plan, then you probably won't have access to this first class care.
Old May 12th 2014, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, that sums it up for me. In Illinois the healthcare we had was amazing -- far better than what I've seen from the NHS. But the system itself is very messed up, not just for the uninsured but even for a lot of folks who HAVE insurance.
Old May 13th 2014, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Exactly. It pains me to see so many health care workers spending so much of their time dealing with health insurance issues (e.g. claims, billing, coverage issues, etc.) We must waste billions of dollars every year on that alone.
Those billions of dollars would more than compensate for the cost of a single payer health care system.
Old May 13th 2014, 9:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
Yup, that sums it up for me. In Illinois the healthcare we had was amazing -- far better than what I've seen from the NHS. But the system itself is very messed up, not just for the uninsured but even for a lot of folks who HAVE insurance.
A sizeable proportion of those that do have insurance are happy with the excellent, albeit expensive, service, and it appears that few politicians are willing to risk an electoral backlash if they risk destroying the current system entirely.
Old May 13th 2014, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A sizeable proportion of those that do have insurance are happy with the excellent, albeit expensive, service, and it appears that few politicians are willing to risk an electoral backlash if they risk destroying the current system entirely.
Yes - so typical of the "I'm alright Jack" attitude of most Americans............
Old May 13th 2014, 11:08 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes - so typical of the "I'm alright Jack" attitude of most Americans............
The entire country is built upon the foundation about looking out only for yourself. Even my wife's disabled mother has been brain washed into believing that an employer shouldn't offer contracts to people and they should be 'at will'. It's this mentality that holds so many people back.
Old May 13th 2014, 11:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Well when no one else is looking out for you, you have to look out for your self. No?

At least part of it, though, is a case of "I worked my butt off to get it. If you want it badly enough, you can too". Unfortunately, while that might have been commonly achievable in the 1970's, and possible in the 1980's, it has been progressively tougher ever since, with many people now trapped, especially since the economy imploded in 2008-2009.
Old May 14th 2014, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

I do think there's a bit of 'pulling the ladder up after themselves' mentality here.

But in addition, those receiving healthcare in the US are over diagnosed and over medicated. All of which, of course, adds to the coffers of the insurance companies and the healthcare providers. I've worked in the diagnostics field and it's interesting to note how many unnecessary tests are ordered in the US.

My partner recently broke his ankle, clean break of the fibula. Not terribly serious. He's probably received about 5 X-rays in the course of his care until the boot came off. 5. Why? One at the beginning of course is necessary and maybe, maybe, one in the middle to ensure healing is ongoing. But the others? I'd like to see the cost-effectiveness of so many x-rays in a simple fibula break compared to your normal NHS amount. I don't believe that these additional x-rays actually contributed to his care. And he, as an ex-nurse, didn't think so either. But the ortho place gets paid for every visit and every x-ray from the insurance company....Having an insurance company between you and your healthcare provider can never be a cheaper model than something like the NHS. Never.
Old May 14th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

This strikes a bit of a chord with me. My Brother-in-law was involved in a very nasty car wreck early 2012 and is quadriplegic as a result. He's 31 and fortunately he was able to get coverage on my Mother-in-laws insurance policy (very rare that an insurer would do that for someone that age). Sadly she lost her job and with it he has lost insurance coverage.
I thought if you received disability benefits you also qualified for Medicare. Or maybe that varies by state?
Old May 14th 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
My partner recently broke his ankle, clean break of the fibula. Not terribly serious. He's probably received about 5 X-rays in the course of his care until the boot came off. 5. Why? One at the beginning of course is necessary and maybe, maybe, one in the middle to ensure healing is ongoing. But the others? I'd like to see the cost-effectiveness of so many x-rays in a simple fibula break compared to your normal NHS amount. I don't believe that these additional x-rays actually contributed to his care.
Plus there is a small risk in exposing oneself to unneeded radiation.
Old May 14th 2014, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I thought if you received disability benefits you also qualified for Medicare. Or maybe that varies by state?
Once someone applies for disability, there is a 2 year waiting period before they are eligible for Medicare. My brother had a stroke during his early 50s and primarily has short term memory loss and couldn't return to work because of that. He applied for social security disability benefits (SSDI) and when approved, there was a 2 year wait from the time of the application until he received Medicare benefits but SSDI was retroactive to the time of the application. Fortunately he lived in Minnesota which allowed for Cobra coverage indefinitely.

Now with ACA, it probably won't make much of a difference if someone can stay on Cobra indefinately since the ACA option to get health insurance coverage is now available until Medicare kicks in.
Old May 14th 2014, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not think that applies in Colorado, it seems to be totally income dependent, if your income is low enough you get it and do not have a choice to go ACA.

Cobra would for most be horribly expensive.
Old May 14th 2014, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Do not think that applies in Colorado, it seems to be totally income dependent, if your income is low enough you get it and do not have a choice to go ACA.

Cobra would for most be horribly expensive.
Who are you responding to? If you are responding to me, Medicare is 100% federally funded and applies to all states and is independent of income except the Medicare Part B monthly premium can be higher than the current $104 per month if your income is above $85,000 for single ($170,000 if married filing jointly).

As far as Cobra or ACA, they may not be perfect but when you have medical bills in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, they can be the difference between bankruptcy and living a reasonable lifestyle until Medicare kicks in during a disability claim.

Last edited by Michael; May 14th 2014 at 5:29 pm.
Old May 14th 2014, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Plus there is a small risk in exposing oneself to unneeded radiation.
I was concerned about that with the large number of CT scans and MRIs that are ordered. When reading around the subject, it seems that as a cancer cannot be ascribed to one specific dose of radiation, doctors don't worry about getting sued for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.