Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone feeling the pinch?

Anyone feeling the pinch?

Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:51 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone feeling the pinch?

No debt
Own all my vehicles, so no payments.
Savings are about 60% liquid in a few different accounts to keep under the FDIC limits.
The other 40% is in a 401K is down about $30K this year, I was actually toying with the idea of cashing it in earlier in the year, taking the 20% hit in taxes and looking at property. Almost wish I had now given the losses.
Don't own property but live in a rental which is renting for about 40% of the market value, which is why we stay here. That, the location and the excellent school district.
.............Oh and I don't have a job as I got laid off in mid July.
First thing I did was cut the cable bill in half, I wondered why we had half the shit to begin with. Download UK TV and football from UK Nova.
Cut the long distance unlimited plan to the UK and use Skpe.
Cut a few other unnessacary bills.
My salary was 95% of our income as my wife stays home to raise our kids for the most part. She does work part time 2 nights a week, which was just to give her a break and earn a little extra pocket money.
We cut our expenses to fit our current lifestyle until I get another job, so see what happens

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Sep 29th 2008 at 4:56 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
No debt
Own all my vehicles, so no payments.
Savings are about 60% liquid in a few different accounts to keep under the FDIC limits.
The other 40% is in a 401K is down about $30K this year, I was actually toying with the idea of cashing it in earlier in the year, taking the 20% hit in taxes and looking at property. Almost wish I had now given the losses.
Don't own property but live in a rental which is renting for about 40% of the market value, which is why we stay here. That, the location and the excellent school district.
.............Oh and I don't have a job as I got laid off in mid July.
First thing I did was cut the cable bill in half, I wondered why we had half the shit to begin with. Download UK TV and football from UK Nova.
Cut the long distance unlimited plan to the UK and use Skpe.
Cut a few other unnessacary bills.
My salary was 95% of our income as my wife stays home to raise our kids for the most part. She does work part time 2 nights a week, which was just to give her a break and earn a little extra pocket money.
We cut our expenses to fit our current lifestyle until I get another job, so see what happens
Sorry to hear about your job...no-one deserves that IMO. Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:23 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

YES.

Am effectively working TWO jobs. We just bought a new car... at 0.9% financing. I refuse to look at my 401(k) because I'm as diversified as I can be, and there's not a lot I could do but weep at the numbers.

I also think it is mindset -- I had the TV on and there was an advert for Burlington Coat Factory showing "must-have fashions for fall", and I thought, who the hell is buying new clothes?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The other 40% is in a 401K is down about $30K this year, I was actually toying with the idea of cashing it in earlier in the year, taking the 20% hit in taxes and looking at property.
Be aware you can effectively cash in the 401k without penalty under certain circumstances. First, you roll it over into an IRA - easy since you are no longer employed and actively contributing to it. Second, you take advantage of the 'substantially equal withdrawal' rule that allows you to start withdrawing at any time (ie, before 59.5) as long as you continue to make equal withdrawals until you reach 59.5 (that is - once you start, you cannot stop, and the amount has to be appropriate). See this page for details. http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/wdraw59.html . I don't recommend doing it unless you are desperate, but - good to know about.

Sorry to hear about the job. Did anything come of your idea of traveling around a bit? I found myself in Sacramento three weekends in a row (not by choice as I've always hated the place), and found a great, lively neighborhood with overflowing restaurants and shops - great "pedestrian" feel, etc. This was the 'mid-town' area, and I ate at two restaurants at the corner of 'Capitol' and 18th (Zocolo's and Paesano's). Changed my mind quite a bit about the place. Saw houses for sale in the outskirts of Sac going for $100k or so. So I'm adding Sac to the list of places I would move to in a financial crunch!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
YES.

Am effectively working TWO jobs. We just bought a new car... at 0.9% financing. I refuse to look at my 401(k) because I'm as diversified as I can be, and there's not a lot I could do but weep at the numbers.
My 401k/IRA is down by about $200k, I think, from the peak of two years ago.... I don't look often but every now and then I can't avoid it ...at times like this, I just have to remember ... long term, long term, long term !!!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure they are at separate institutions, not just separate accounts, because it's $100K per institute.

Oh, and the government has 99 years to repay you the money, as long as you were in "good standing order" at the time the place went bump.

As for me, feeling the pinch, will do, just got an extra 13 weeks of unemployment, can't claim the baby on this one though for some reason, and claiming her, though it got more money, $25 per week pre-tax, it shrunk how long I could claim by a wedge....winter oil will hurt.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:09 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry to hear about your job...no-one deserves that IMO. Good luck.
Translation: Not even a dick like you desrves that
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Sorry to hear about the job. Did anything come of your idea of traveling around a bit? !
I decided not to, partly because I felt a bit selfish taking off and leaving the family.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
My 401k/IRA is down by about $200k, I think, from the peak of two years ago.... I don't look often but every now and then I can't avoid it ...at times like this, I just have to remember ... long term, long term, long term !!!
I don't even want to think about how much it will be down now, given todays news that they didn't pass the bailout bill and the DOW is down 500 - 700 points.

Originally Posted by Bob
Just make sure they are at separate institutions, not just separate accounts, because it's $100K per institute..
That's what I meant, seperate banks.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Translation: Not even a dick like you desrves that
Hmmm does sound a little like that doesn't it? If I'd meant it that way I wouldn't have wished you luck.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I decided not to, partly because I felt a bit selfish taking off and leaving the family.

it's not being selfish, it's going where the work is. my husband is in singapore today, he'd sooner not be but that's where the money takes him
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TruBrit
it's not being selfish, it's going where the work is. my husband is in singapore today, he'd sooner not be but that's where the money takes him

Piss off. He's sitting at Raffles sucking down Singapore slings with two 24 year old Chinese girls waiting to go back to his room
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Piss off. He's sitting at Raffles sucking down Singapore slings with two 24 year old Chinese girls waiting to go back to his room
My husband's in Singapore too.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband's in Singapore too.
Thinking about one 48 year old girl back home.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't even want to think about how much it will be down now, given todays news that they didn't pass the bailout bill and the DOW is down 500 - 700 points.
I just peeked ... all my money (silly me! ( - IRA and after-tax cash ) is at schwab ... the 'day's change' column shows -$40k
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

actually right at this minute he's on a flight to moscow from sing but maybe he had a sling or two with them last night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.