Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone else stuck in name check limbo?

Anyone else stuck in name check limbo?

Old May 23rd 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone else stuck in name check limbo?

Had my interview Monday and the background check was not complete. Now the wait begins How long have you guys waited that have been through this?
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:54 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else stuck in name check limbo?

Originally Posted by Hank Hill
Had my interview Monday and the background check was not complete. Now the wait begins How long have you guys waited that have been through this?
sorry but what process are you going through at the moment? getting a green card or naturalisation or work visa?
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

Green Card
Old May 24th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Just me then eh
Old May 24th 2007, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I had to wait around 18 months.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

18 months!!! Did you get any reason why it took that long? seems an incredibly long time. I think I will go crazy if it takes that long for me.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

18 months!!! Did you get any reason why it took that long? seems an incredibly long time. I think I will go crazy if it takes that long for me.
some people have waited over 2 years.

For me, it was because my name is so common that they probably had loads of hits.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
some people have waited over 2 years.

For me, it was because my name is so common that they probably had loads of hits.
or they thought u were a dodgy so and so!! hehehe
Old May 25th 2007, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
or they thought u were a dodgy so and so!! hehehe
I have a very common last name, White. I was told I should have the whole thing done in 3 months. That was last August. I just received my green card 2 days ago.
Basically there is no way of knowing, no way of finding out.
I think its like watching a kettle boil. The more you look at it the longer it will take. Just be careful with your post when throwing out the junk mail. One day you will get a letter with US immigration written on the top. Hopefully soon after that you should get another white envelope with nothing of significance written on it which has the green card.. good luck!
Old May 25th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Been stuck in name check since June 2006 for Citizenship. It's a lottery it seems. You're lucky you've had the interview. They tell me no interview until all background checks are complete..whenever that is!

I've seen some people wait for up to 4yrs!
Old May 25th 2007, 1:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Been stuck in name check since June 2006 for Citizenship. It's a lottery it seems. You're lucky you've had the interview. They tell me no interview until all background checks are complete..whenever that is!

I've seen some people wait for up to 4yrs!
aye, it's different for citizenship, because they've got to give it to you within x amount of time of having the interview, which is why they don't give the interview till after the checks are through...seems really daft way of doing things though.
Old May 25th 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, it's different for citizenship, because they've got to give it to you within x amount of time of having the interview, which is why they don't give the interview till after the checks are through...seems really daft way of doing things though.
That's true. Has to be done within 120 days from date of interview, however lots still get no answer even then hence all the Writ of Mandamus lawsuits.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

I've been stuck since February 1996 in the Citizenship limbo. I had the fingerprints done, then the interview, with a 'Sorry your checks aren't complete'

I went to our local INS (or whatever the hell they call themselves these days) and was told that they hadn't recieved the results of my fingerprint check back yet

Anyway - the same day I get another letter from them, saying 'Your fingerprints have expired' :curse: and that I need to have them re-done. I had them done 2 weeks ago.

I intend to give them one month (a total of 6 weeks) before the letter to my US Senator get mailed - she has a nice form you can fill out if you're having trouble with INS....

As a sidenote, I have an extrememly unusual last name. if you google my 'firstname lastname' then I am the only person who pops up.
Old May 26th 2007, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Does FBI uses google for name check?

Do you think it can be an advantage when they can google hubby name, and his photo, position and title with his former company come up.
Old May 26th 2007, 5:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abboy
Does FBI uses google for name check?

Do you think it can be an advantage when they can google hubby name, and his photo, position and title with his former company come up.
They have available to themselves

Some of the systems available to them ...

CLASS (Consular Lookout and Support System) DOS
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) makes entries into this database.
- NCIC (see below) is now integrated into CLASS
CCD (Consolidated Consular Database)
- contains SEVIS (see below) data for consulars to access.

NCIC (National Crime Information Center)
- contains criminal record information for police to check when they stop or arrest someone.
- NLETS (National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System)
- above systems contain more than 7 million names, including information from state/local law enforcement agencies (including charges such as "shoplifting," DWI, etc.)

NAILS II (National Automated Immigration Lookout System II) DHS
- NIIS (Nonimmigrant Information System), containing nonimmigrant visa denial information, arrival/departure/overstay (I-94) information.

IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection System)
- ADIS (Arrival Departure Information System)

TECS (US Customs' Treasury Enforcement Communications Systems)

SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System)

NSEERS (National Security Entry Exit Registration System)

APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System)

ADIS (Arrival Departure Information System)

IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection System)

IDENT (Automated Biometric Identification System)

CLAIMS 3 (Computer Linked Application Information Management System)

CHIMERA

US VISIT

TAL (Technological Alert List)

The usual problem is a same name appearing on a criminal
or of interest list .. then its down to manual checking ...