Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone else read this?

Anyone else read this?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:45 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else read this?

Originally Posted by rushman
The Lloyds building.."A huge monstrous carbuncle on the face of a dear old friend"..as Prince Charles rightly said
If we're in a pedantic mood we should point out that Charlie was referring to the proposed extension to the National Gallery when he made that remark.

Back to the blog:

"Public schools are called "private" and private schools are called "public"

Not that old chestnut - I suspect many of us have had to walk Americans through that one.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:52 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elfman
If we're in a pedantic mood we should point out that Charlie was referring to the proposed extension to the National Gallery when he made that remark.

Back to the blog:

Not that old chestnut - I suspect many of us have had to walk Americans through that one.
God knows how she would get on with the rules of cricket.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:56 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
God knows how she would get on with the rules of cricket.
Piece of piss, just show her this

http://www.allworldknowledge.com/cricket/
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Well you've got to admit that these questions are pretty good/funny:

According to "Life in the UK" (the study guide for the test), where does Father Christmas come from?
A: Lapland
B: Iceland
C: The North Pole

According to "Life in the UK", what should you do if you spill someone's pint in the pub?
A: Offer to buy the person another pint
B: Offer to dry their wet shirt with your own
C: Prepare for a fight in the car park

What or who is PG (again, according to the guide)?
A: One of the brand names for the national British drink, tea
B: A Personal Guide, a British-born mentor provided to each immigrant applying for nationality
C: Part of the cinema film classification system

Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:21 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

She's an excellent writer and very readable. But what comes across most is her total lack of research (the incorrect figure for the TV license fee, strange usage of a singular Brit-specific noun such as Torie, no knowledge that US water providers also charge for sewage in many places, etc.), her total lack of understanding of the place given this is her second posting, and the fact that she seems to have stolen most of her best ideas from better writers on the subject. Get the feeling she's never left NY and would write similar stuff were she ever to live anywhere else in the US.

All show really and no substance. But then again that's pretty well the standard of most journalism with very few notable exceptions. She will obviously go far in life.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:38 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps rather than conversing on this topic here, people should write to her (Joni) - i wrote to her earlier and its quite amusing to read her response, nearly as entertaining as her blog

Ant

Last edited by Sue; Nov 28th 2005 at 4:01 am. Reason: email address removed
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

JeeZ ..why are you all taking it so seriously ... its obvious she is writing it for her friends over here and its all written in a tongue in cheek style.......

Not much difference to the sort of thing we get here ....
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Not much difference to the sort of thing we get here ....
And therein lies the fascination!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well you've got to admit that these questions are pretty good/funny:

According to "Life in the UK" (the study guide for the test), where does Father Christmas come from?
A: Lapland
B: Iceland
C: The North Pole

According to "Life in the UK", what should you do if you spill someone's pint in the pub?
A: Offer to buy the person another pint
B: Offer to dry their wet shirt with your own
C: Prepare for a fight in the car park

What or who is PG (again, according to the guide)?
A: One of the brand names for the national British drink, tea
B: A Personal Guide, a British-born mentor provided to each immigrant applying for nationality
C: Part of the cinema film classification system
Weren't those all pinched from the mock up the BBC knocked out a while back?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:54 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I was taking it all with a pinch of salt until the stupid bitch started knocking the East End. For her information, the "Angel" tube station is not in the East End. It's in f**king Islington...NORTH LONDON. Furthermore, her walk from the "Angel" tube to "City University" would take her through "EC1", which is "The City" of London and still NOT the East End.
I'd give anything to be back in Islington right now, even with the cold weather. My uncle used to live in Newington Green, which is pretty close to Islington. I used to love hanging out there, there's so many great things about the area, I can just see myself walking around & sipping on a nice Hot Chocolate with Cinnamon from Coffee Republic & doing my Christmas shopping, mmmmmm lovely.

Sorry about that, but I miss home, especially at Christmas.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:27 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Typically American then...All show and flash and no quality content whatsoever.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass
I saw the link here on Britishexpats and took a look, didn't read it all cos it irritated the hell out of me, but some bits were funny.
Read if you are interested in an American's view of the UK - don't read if you are very patriotic and easlily irritated - like me! LOl

http://www.reluctantanglophile.com/

Me too ! LOL!
I wonder if she's enjoying the free National Health Service to which she has probably not contributed. I wonder if she has noticed how much less corrupt and rather more caring of the poor the government is there.
I wonder if she realises that the UK is not ALL like London.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:05 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
perhaps rather than conversing on this topic here, people should write to her (Joni) - i wrote to her earlier and its quite amusing to read her response, nearly as entertaining as her blog

Ant
And you haven't posted her reply because.......
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:35 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Good grief, and I thought that we moaned about our adopted country on here. Makes you wonder why she's still in the UK.
Its a bit rich that she complains about public traansport and she seems to be paying $500 for her tv license - looks like someone has her figured for being one of those "dumb americans"

Back in September she claimed it was $250 for the license. Me think she's been enjoying a few too many sherberts
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman

Back to the blog:

You're absolutely correct. I just got carried away thinking about that bloody ugly Lloyds building.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.