Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone else have problems adjusting??

Wikiposts

anyone else have problems adjusting??

Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone else have problems adjusting??

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I agree.... (From what I read on here obviously, never having set foot in the UK)

Hooters?
lol nope, IHOP.

But perhaps I should suggest Hooters to her... I think she rather has some....
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:16 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Got to say I've experienced the opposite - its hugs all round here with the lasses if you've met them more than about twice, and handshakes for the blokes - everytime you see them.....and when you part company at the end of the day. I find it gets a bit wearying to be honest.
same here, it's hugs and hand shakes all the time! i found it strange when I came from the UK, but you get used to it. it can be a little OTT at times. i lived in Germany for several years though, and a handshake for a greeting is normal there. like someone said, it all comes down to local customs - nothing wrong with any of it. the British are definitely nowhere near as huggy/kissy as Americans - but I adapt to where I am. it's all okay with me.

Last edited by Mallory; Jan 4th 2008 at 1:18 am.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
same here, it's hugs and hand shakes all the time! i found it strange when I came from the UK, but you get used to it. it can be a little OTT at times. i lived in Germany for several years though, and a handshake for a greeting is normal there. like someone said, it all comes down to local customs - nothing wrong with any of it. the British are definitely nowhere near as huggy/kissy as Americans - but I adapt to where I am. it's all okay with me.
Interestingly, now the Brits I've met are far more huggy/kissy than I and my American friends are with each other.

Another example of ymmv apparently.

As long as I actually like the people, I don't mind either way really.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:00 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Interestingly, now the Brits I've met are far more huggy/kissy than I and my American friends are with each other.

Another example of ymmv apparently.

As long as I actually like the people, I don't mind either way really.
Well yes, it can be regional. You live in Chicago, and I live in the deep south. very huggy kissy.

I noticed in Calif peeps are more aloof. After all, it's a big country.

kiss, kiss!!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well yes, it can be regional. You live in Chicago, and I live in the deep south. very huggy kissy.

kiss, kiss!!
Oh yeah LOL, them southerners be ALL over ya!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

That's because, if the efficient and trained grocery store cashier bagged your groceries, he/she wouldn't be able to stand around looking bored and depressed, conveying to everyone that they'd rather be somewhere else. I've never understood the logic of letting me bag my own groceries ... because I SUCK at it, and it takes me forever, slowing down the whole process. It's not like they do it for you here out of sheer goodwill, they do it because it lets them move people through faster.
I'd personally bag my own groceries because it's quicker to do it after I've put my stuff on the belt than wait around like a moron to do it, and badly. Though Wholefoods is pretty good at bagging stuff. As for them moving people through faster, I doubt it, it's just something to do. Though the one thing I don't understand, why do cashiers have to stand up over here to seem busy and polite? They are just as capable doing that job sitting down as in most countries...would certainly make it a lot easier on all those pregnant ladies you see standing at the tills
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

- I think the "Right turn on red" is another efficient habit we could adopt from the US.
I'll give you that, that is one of the few things that is awesome about driving over here
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

...Why do you think college students work in restaurants? Because they love the money.
Thing is, back in blighty, you've more chance of not needing to work to study, or at least work as much as here so that it interferes with the studies. My course was kind of against people working because they didn't want people dropping dead after doing 60-80 hours of course work a week

But the money thing, I think it does vary from state to state. Some will call tips your wage so offer you less than minimum whilst some other states don't, and in those, you could earn great money
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

kiss, kiss!!
Yup, we're a miserable bunch in Mass anyway, or it might be we're afraid we'd stick to each other in the cold
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:35 am
In the pink

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, back in blighty, you've more chance of not needing to work to study, or at least work as much as here so that it interferes with the studies. My course was kind of against people working because they didn't want people dropping dead after doing 60-80 hours of course work a week

But the money thing, I think it does vary from state to state. Some will call tips your wage so offer you less than minimum whilst some other states don't, and in those, you could earn great money
True, they have to work harder in US to help with tuition and books.

However, I have 4 nieces and nephews in USA, and 4 nieces and nephews in UK, and all worked while going to uni. still needed cars, clothes, entertainment, etc.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
- I think the "Right turn on red" is another efficient habit we could adopt from the US.
Nice idea! And how about having the British adopt the US custom of .... wait for it ... letting people cross the road! Even in a busy city like SF, pedestrians are given the right of way. I've never fully understood why this is, but it didn't take me long to get used to it and love it. I go back to UK now and nearly die every time I try to cross the road, since car drivers there won't give an inch.

Come to think of it, the right-turn-on-red (or the 'left turn on red' UK equiv) may fail because of the driving style over there; I'd say UK drivers are 'better' than US drivers, but then they drive so much more aggressively that it negates their better driving skills and ends up making the place more dangerous.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice idea! And how about having the British adopt the US custom of .... wait for it ... letting people cross the road! Even in a busy city like SF, pedestrians are given the right of way. I've never fully understood why this is, but it didn't take me long to get used to it and love it. I go back to UK now and nearly die every time I try to cross the road, since car drivers there won't give an inch.

Come to think of it, the right-turn-on-red (or the 'left turn on red' UK equiv) may fail because of the driving style over there; I'd say UK drivers are 'better' than US drivers, but then they drive so much more aggressively that it negates their better driving skills and ends up making the place more dangerous.
I wouldn't say your average UK driver drives more aggresively - faster maybe, but I find it far worse here. Insane weaving in busy traffic, road ragers, hit and run MUCH more prolific - on UK roads the traffic might be going faster but I find it much less stressful.

I also find it interesting you think UK drivers won't give an inch - here, if you indicate to change lane, you are guaranteed the driver behind in that lane will speed up to cut you off - in the UK, if you indicate, people will generally let you in.

And crossing the road here? Are you insane???? Lord knows I'd cross a busy motorway in the UK and feel far safer than crossing a street in Tampa (or indeed any other US city) - completely disagree with you that its the other way round.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 6th 2008 at 7:41 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say your average UK driver drives more aggresively - faster maybe, but I find it far worse here. Insane weaving in busy traffic, road ragers, hit and run MUCH more prolific - on UK roads the traffic might be going faster but I find it much less stressful.
And crossing the road here? Are you insane???? Lord knows I'd cross a busy motorway in the UK and feel far safer than crossing a street in Tampa (or indeed any other US city) - completely disagree with you that its the other way round.
Maybe it's regional; here in CA, if I step off the sidewalk, cars stop - no question. Even if I do an illegal jaywalk in the middle of the street (not at a marked crosswalk), cars let me go. When my family visit from UK, they are always shocked by this and always comment on it. CA is famous for being 'laid back'; I find driving here relatively easy and relaxing.

What I remember about driving on the M1 in UK is that there would be a major pile-up at least once a week, and because everyone was doing 90, and driving nose-to-tail, the accident would be devastating. I just don't see those major pile-ups here.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's regional; here in CA, if I step off the sidewalk, cars stop - no question. Even if I do an illegal jaywalk in the middle of the street (not at a marked crosswalk), cars let me go. When my family visit from UK, they are always shocked by this and always comment on it. CA is famous for being 'laid back'; I find driving here relatively easy and relaxing.

What I remember about driving on the M1 in UK is that there would be a major pile-up at least once a week, and because everyone was doing 90, and driving nose-to-tail, the accident would be devastating. I just don't see those major pile-ups here.
Have a read of this: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1208

At the bottom is this quote:

"The United Kingdom has a very good record for road safety compared with most other EU countries. In 2004 it had one of the lowest road death rates in the EU, at 5.6 per 100,000 population. The UK rate was also lower than the rates for other industrialised nations such as Japan (6.96 per 100,000 population), and substantially lower than that of Australia (8.15) and the United States (14.66)".

and here: http://cemt.org/IRTAD/IRTADPUBLIC/we2.html

I think that just about proves how shite the driving is in the US compared with the UK - approximately 3 times as shite....

Edit - but I will grant you, it varies a lot state by state, as shown here: http://www.driveandstayalive.com/inf...apita_2002.htm

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 6th 2008 at 12:29 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:33 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of this: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1208

At the bottom is this quote:

"The United Kingdom has a very good record for road safety compared with most other EU countries. In 2004 it had one of the lowest road death rates in the EU, at 5.6 per 100,000 population. The UK rate was also lower than the rates for other industrialised nations such as Japan (6.96 per 100,000 population), and substantially lower than that of Australia (8.15) and the United States (14.66)".

I think that just about proves how shite the driving is in the US compared with the UK - approximately 3 times as shite....

Edit - but I will grant you, it varies a lot state by state, as shown here: http://www.driveandstayalive.com/inf...apita_2002.htm
You know that very well could be but have you thought that more of us drive and have a higher chance to getting into a fender bender. So I'm not sure if your survey takes that into account. Also, from what I understand the UK has fabulous transport system and it's heavily used. Most don't use their cars much as they prefer to walk. Here it's the land of the automobile. So given that figure I think we are doing pretty good. Just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.