Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone else finding working in the US too tough?

Anyone else finding working in the US too tough?

Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else finding working in the US too tough?

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Where are my rights in the workplace then?
I love you Sally and want to have your babies, but he's squandered more than one golden opportunity in the last two years.
Oh you have no rights, I was only defending some of his actions like saving jobs in the car industry, small improvements in health coverage.
Originally Posted by N1cky
I'd vote for anyone whose election campaign was along the lines of I'm putting $300 million into the school system, consequently my campaign advertising will be some black and white flyers and me travelling around on a bus
YES! Exactly.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dlake02
That's the problem. The UK and the US have a similar mentality - they can think no further than the next election and work like shop-keepers.

You cannot work in that mode with "long-term investments" such as education, transport, energy. Those are multi-decade events - you cannot apply 3, 4, 5-year budgeting to something that is fundamental to the social welfare of a country.
What is wrong with shopkeepers, Tesco seem to have done OK.

Most UK sending is not about 'investments', it will take decades to recover from New Labour.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:22 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

That's the problem. The UK and the US have a similar mentality - they can think no further than the next election and work like shop-keepers.
You cannot work in that mode with "long-term investments" such as education, transport, energy. Those are multi-decade events - you cannot apply 3, 4, 5-year budgeting to something that is fundamental to the social welfare of a country.
The irony is that both the UK and US appear to want to draw back state spending and debt, but are going out-of-their way to artificially suppress interest rates thereby encouraging personal debt.
But then again, the cynic in me says that personal debt is money spent with private companies that prop up those governments in the first place.....
I don't hink you are being cynical - you have 300 million people in a country as big as Russia and we are supposed to believe that it can be effectively governed by one man and a crowd of millionaires in DC? Bollocks.
DC has been bought and paid for for decades by those companies you mention. Except they aren't private - they're floated; corporations with evil bastards playing power games. Drug companies, banks, oil and gas, war profiteers, et al.
Personal debt (credit cards) is horrible in the US. Everyone has the disease (I do too) and when the hammer comes down on this one.......

I'd love to see a black flag raised over the white house and each state given back the power it legally has (its in the constitution - you know, that modern updated version of magna carta?)

Maybe then, we could have true govt investment at local level in things that require 5 and 10yrs of attention. Decent roads, social services and all that.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:25 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned1983
I start my first US job on Monday...I am now very nervous hahaha
You understand what exempt / non-exempt mean yet?
If not, you might want to look it up........
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you think the US is bad, have you been following the UK of late?
Totally agree, just got back from my first trip to the UK since moving over a year ago. Within 2 or 3 hours of being back there I knew I'd made the right decision to leave.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:58 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'd vote for anyone whose election campaign was along the lines of I'm putting $300 million into the school system, consequently my campaign advertising will be some black and white flyers and me travelling around on a bus
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

ned1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond repute

You understand what exempt / non-exempt mean yet?
If not, you might want to look it up........
Just looked it up. Im coming from Oxford Uni where your contracted hours are 35/week and I was told to "go home you are working too hard". Now Im doing 40 contracted but fearing its gonna be more like 60. I best re-read my contract offer haha.

The thing that really scares me is that it is "At Will" employment so there are no notice periods. My last 2 jobs have had 2 to 3 months notice required on both sides. Scary stuff knowing that you could have a disagreement with your boss and not have a job the next day!

Edit: Im exempt....long days coming up!

Last edited by ned1983; Apr 26th 2012 at 6:15 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

European governments exist primarily to protect citizens and improve their standard of living. The various US governments seem to exist to pander to Corporate America.

Maybe if the majority of Americans stopped telling me what a "great" place this was and got out and did something about making it better, it would actually become a "great" place ?
I couldnt agree more! I know which I prefer.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:34 pm
gurt mint nit?

Just looked it up. Im coming from Oxford Uni where your contracted hours are 35/week and I was told to "go home you are working too hard". Now Im doing 40 contracted but fearing its gonna be more like 60. I best re-read my contract offer haha.
The thing that really scares me is that it is "At Will" employment so there are no notice periods. My last 2 jobs have had 2 to 3 months notice required on both sides. Scary stuff knowing that you could have a disagreement with your boss and not have a job the next day!
Edit: Im exempt....long days coming up!
Contracts don't exist unless you are doing business here.
Ordinary employment isn't considered business.

"At will" technically cuts both ways, mind.
You aren't under any obligation to give a reason or notice if you resign; but the mentality is purely "employer slanted" so if a future employer were to check, that's what they'd hear (he didn't say or give notice.....).
Course, they can sodomise you with impunity at will Be careful about just walking away from a job as they can claim "work abandonement" or just say they fired you. Always have it in writing and CYA, CYA and above all else; CYA.

I worked with this bloke who put 20yrs in with the company; he was a bit of a twat but they still lied that they fired him just before he handed in his retirement.
That's retirement - not notice, mind you and we were all in a closed shop too!
He left with them getting to throw the final punch just to terrorise the new hires.

Being exempt is working by the law of the jungle and it absolutely sucks. You might be alright if the boss is decent, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Last edited by Xebedee; Apr 26th 2012 at 6:40 pm. Reason: asphalt buttocks
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

ned1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond repute

According to what I read elsewhere its fairly standard to be "exempt" if you are in senior to management roles. Certainly in the UK I havent had a per-hour job since I was 20. I guess in the UK they do it differently by saying "X hours per week. But you are expected to work extra if required".

I assume exempt means if you do work extra hours you dont even get time off in lieu? Or is that down to the company?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:12 pm
gurt mint nit?

According to what I read elsewhere its fairly standard to be "exempt" if you are in senior to management roles. Certainly in the UK I havent had a per-hour job since I was 20. I guess in the UK they do it differently by saying "X hours per week. But you are expected to work extra if required".
I assume exempt means if you do work extra hours you dont even get time off in lieu? Or is that down to the company?
You are exempt if you define your own workload and how to get the lot done.
So, you wouldn't need a supervisor; but would usually answer to a manager, or be one answering to another manager (aka god).

Working for free is part of the deal and wether or not you do and how much is dependant on your boss and/or company policy. It is possible to get a job with paid overtime being exempt, but its getting rarer.
If you work a holiday, you can expect to be able to take the day at a later date, but as for getting a day off in lieu of working for nothing? Never heard of it.
I work as an Engr. and mostly they are workaholic drones who get a boner when the boss calls them "professional".
Dunno about other jobs which are salaried (exempt).

Oh, don't be too surprised if you still have to punch a clock or at least keep a log of your hours / work done for a weekly or monthly report.

Its a lot of fun.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Havent punched a clock since working at 16 for Dominos Pizza...This could get interesting!

Im a hard worker and love getting things done, hate early mornings though!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:21 pm
gurt mint nit?

Havent punched a clock since working at 16 for Dominos Pizza...This could get interesting!
I hope you get well soon.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:59 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget your alarm clock so you don't take 1 minute extra for your lunch break
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:03 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

You are exempt if you define your own workload and how to get the lot done.
So, you wouldn't need a supervisor; but would usually answer to a manager, or be one answering to another manager (aka god).

Working for free is part of the deal and wether or not you do and how much is dependant on your boss and/or company policy. It is possible to get a job with paid overtime being exempt, but its getting rarer.
If you work a holiday, you can expect to be able to take the day at a later date, but as for getting a day off in lieu of working for nothing? Never heard of it.
I work as an Engr. and mostly they are workaholic drones who get a boner when the boss calls them "professional".
Dunno about other jobs which are salaried (exempt).

Oh, don't be too surprised if you still have to punch a clock or at least keep a log of your hours / work done for a weekly or monthly report.

Its a lot of fun.
We have to do time sheets (no punch in/out though) but that's how we keep a track of our billing. We do time-in-lieu but then I set up the office here and so I make the rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.