Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is Anyone Else Conflicted?

Is Anyone Else Conflicted?

Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is Anyone Else Conflicted?

Thanks Scbrit. Sometimes I have wondered if I am the only returnee that feels this way so in a sense it almost validates how I have interpreted my situation when I hear others dealing with the same thing.
I honestly believe that I will see more of friends and family if I move back to the States as i think they will make more of an effort to make time to see us either when we come for a visit or coming out to see us. I just hope I don't have to explain myself too much of my decision to leave again.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Thanks Scbrit. Sometimes I have wondered if I am the only returnee that feels this way so in a sense it almost validates how I have interpreted my situation when I hear others dealing with the same thing.
I honestly believe that I will see more of friends and family if I move back to the States as i think they will make more of an effort to make time to see us either when we come for a visit or coming out to see us. I just hope I don't have to explain myself too much of my decision to leave again.
Summer 2008's not far away ... spring is nearly over. Do you have a job lined up yet?

You're not alone, there are plenty of us lurkers on here who pick and choose our moments.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

It was great to read this thread. My father is very sick right now in the UK, my mum is getting older and sicker too. I have a good job here in the US that allowed me to take time off (3 months!) fully paid and I am going back again for two more months in June. I have a house in the US, a car, I don't have to think about being able to afford going out to eat or buying clothes etc. The UK is very expensive. Even going out for coffee can cost a lot. However, I love being home (the UK). Love it. Love reading the Guardian, going to M and S, love being close to my family, going out on a Saturday night to the pub, riding the bus, LOVE Radio 4, etc. I have been on the forum for years and have gone back and forth about what I should do. I am going to try and get a job when I go home (I can take a leave here for a year from my position) and if it works out, I will stay. If it doesn't, I will come back. I am giving myself two months to make a decision. I cannot imagine not living in the UK again. When I think about staying in the US forever, it just doesn't make any sense in my head. The UK feels like home to me and when I am there all the doubt, all the bad feelings, all the confusion goes away. I just hope I have the guts to do the right thing!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
It was great to read this thread. My father is very sick right now in the UK, my mum is getting older and sicker too. I have a good job here in the US that allowed me to take time off (3 months!) fully paid and I am going back again for two more months in June. I have a house in the US, a car, I don't have to think about being able to afford going out to eat or buying clothes etc. The UK is very expensive. Even going out for coffee can cost a lot. However, I love being home (the UK). Love it. Love reading the Guardian, going to M and S, love being close to my family, going out on a Saturday night to the pub, riding the bus, LOVE Radio 4, etc. I have been on the forum for years and have gone back and forth about what I should do. I am going to try and get a job when I go home (I can take a leave here for a year from my position) and if it works out, I will stay. If it doesn't, I will come back. I am giving myself two months to make a decision. I cannot imagine not living in the UK again. When I think about staying in the US forever, it just doesn't make any sense in my head. The UK feels like home to me and when I am there all the doubt, all the bad feelings, all the confusion goes away. I just hope I have the guts to do the right thing!
what a great post ! sounds like you have the best of both worlds if you enjoy where you are but can afford to come home.
im sure one day it will all become clear on where you want to spend/end your days !
good luck
Old Apr 27th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
Summer 2008's not far away ... spring is nearly over. Do you have a job lined up yet?

You're not alone, there are plenty of us lurkers on here who pick and choose our moments.
I'm working on it. I'm currently de-cluttering - it's amazing how much I seem to have collected in just under 4 years! I'm lucky in that I have USC so I can just go back.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did just the same - came home for 1 month back in the summer of 2002 and was certain that the UK was home and this is where I wanted to be. Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed spending time back here however the reality is the congestion and traffic jams take up a huge amount of my free time and buying a home suitable for myself and children is not achievable here.
In an ideal world I would love to have my main home in the US and a small flat/house in the UK that I can retreat to for a few weeks every year to got my Brit fix.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have citizenship...if not how long would it take for you to get it?

I feel more or less the same as you...but I wouldn't want to move back to the UK without being able to come back and live in the US.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

IIn an ideal world I would love to have my main home in the US and a small flat/house in the UK that I can retreat to for a few weeks every year to got my Brit fix.
i am very lucky and have had that scenario for a few yrs but it's not enough for me so will reverse rolls
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I do have citizenship and a very flexible job, so I am lucky. Bromleygirl, I remember reading your posts when you were moving back to the UK. I think you mentioned somewhere that it was 4 years ago. Wow! Time flies. I would like to hear more of your story about your return to the UK sometime. Thanks guys for your replies. I don't know what I would do without this forum. It is such a great support for us Brits!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:04 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snarkypsice
Hi all,

This is my first post as I just discovered this wonderful forum.

Husband and I left the UK 19 years ago - lived in Toronto for 6 years and loved it. Got Canadian citizenship then moved to New York where we have been for the last 13 years. We have a beautiful house, we've started our own business and we have a decent standard of living (although it's declining rapidly thanks to the awful economy and government policies I won't get into).

When I first came here, I loved it. I'm from a little village outside Leeds and yet NYC felt like home to me. I loved traveling the US. I loved (and still love) the positive outlook and optimism here. I love the sunshine. I love that people encourage you to try anything. I love that they hug openly. There is almost no crime where we live. There are no gangs of drunk kids roaming the streets late at night. Sexism is almost non-existent, or has been in my life anyway. I love so many things about this place and we have a lifestyle we couldn't have dreamed of in England.

BUT ... OTOH, we miss our families and friends increasingly. We feel alienated in what the US culture has become. We don't see much hope of things changing. We are in our mid-forties and like most US citizens we are one major illness away from losing everything because our health care system sucks. Our parents are aging and we're not there to help them. We don't have kids, so we have each other and the few friends we've made since we moved here. Those friends are not like our old friends in the UK - the ones we've had since college and who know everything about us.

But the conflict comes because I can't say I have ever missed the UK. Ideally I'd blend the best of both places and live in Utopia

But I can't and so I'm torn. I see so many posts by people who hate where they are now and just can't wait to get back to the UK. I envy you the certainty!

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who is more conflicted like me ... and if so, how are you making (or how did you make) your decision about what to do?
Oh yes indeed
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

I can definitley hold my hand up and say I am conflicted. I moved back to the UK almost 4 years ago and as with other posters found at first everyone rallied around myself and my 2 children however, after the initial weeks/months friends and family fell off and now we see them every few months. I don't want to say that I moved back for other people but family and friends were a factor in my decision making.
I can now see that I should only make decisions for myself and my children. If this means that we will have a higher standard of living and be able to afford a home back in the States then this is what I beleive I need to do and if friends and family want to come and visit us then they are more than welcome to do so.
I know I will miss the UK and there are times when I do feel torn but I know I won't miss the rain, wind and gales! I have though finally made the choice to move back to the States and am at peace with my decision.
I know how you feel. I see my sister alot still but friends I was closer to before we left have new lives, so things change, still love everyone to bits but appreciate that things change with time. We are selling up and ,oving back to Oz - I would hope that we will get to spend quality time with people and be able to give our kids a better life. I know I will still miss England, silly thing like the TV and summer nights but you cant have it all!! I only hope that when my sister decides to have kids she would want to come over too.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

Definitely conflicted!! I moved back just over a year ago with my US hubby and 2 kids. After losing my mum, my dad having health problems and me being miserable, we sold our lovely house, gave up our comfortable lifestyle and came back to UK. Things went quite well, we found jobs, bought a house but I sit here now wishing we could afford to go back. It seems I always post the same story on here so apologies for that. It's just so confusing though. The thing I miss most is having the time to spend with my family. We have to work so much here just to make ends meet, we don't get the same family time as we did in US. In a way I feel like my children are neglected here because of the lack of time. Even when I do have time to play with them, I'm always thinking about other things I need to do. Even though, I don't want my kids to be spoiled, it would be nice to be able to spend money on them when we want to. People often say we should be glad of what we have, but it's hard when we've had it better.
Then there's the health care. It does scare me to think that an illness over in US could wipe you out financially, but it scares me too that the care just isn't as good over here. I know there are good doctors about but the one I have now is definitely not one of them.
The kids here bother me too. They just hang around outside the shops. That is the last thing I want for my kids.
Oh I just don't know!! Sorry to waffle on but some days I just feel so depressed about it all.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Deux petits chats is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently living in Paris, France and am very conflicted about moving back to London. I have been living in Paris for about a year but am having trouble fitting in. I know that I must try to fit in and I can speak French fairly well. I have a job here and talk with co-workers but it's not easy to get their sense of humour etc. The lifestyle is completely different here, I did expect this but didn't realise how long it would take me to adjust. I miss the pubs, the "knowing it's Friday feeling", the humour and wit of course and especially the t.v! I am addicted to BBC and Sky news which are the only English channels I have. My problem is that I am in a relationship with a Frenchman, he is wonderful and he loves it here. I can't say that I hate it and probably need to give it more time, but I definitely cannot live in Paris for the rest of my life. I really appreciate England and English people now because the customer service and rudeness of some people here is mind boggling! I have been told that this is normal for Paris as any other major city, I'm sure life would be better in the countryside. Anyway, I am trying to decide if I should stay here and stick this out or go back to London and have to move back in with my parents for a while until I find a job. I am 28, so I have time to start over again. It's not an easy decision to have to make, because he doesn't want to move with me. Thanks all for listening, I really love this forum.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

goingaroundagain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deux petits chats
I am currently living in Paris, France and am very conflicted about moving back to London. I have been living in Paris for about a year but am having trouble fitting in. I know that I must try to fit in and I can speak French fairly well. I have a job here and talk with co-workers but it's not easy to get their sense of humour etc. The lifestyle is completely different here, I did expect this but didn't realise how long it would take me to adjust. I miss the pubs, the "knowing it's Friday feeling", the humour and wit of course and especially the t.v! I am addicted to BBC and Sky news which are the only English channels I have. My problem is that I am in a relationship with a Frenchman, he is wonderful and he loves it here. I can't say that I hate it and probably need to give it more time, but I definitely cannot live in Paris for the rest of my life. I really appreciate England and English people now because the customer service and rudeness of some people here is mind boggling! I have been told that this is normal for Paris as any other major city, I'm sure life would be better in the countryside. Anyway, I am trying to decide if I should stay here and stick this out or go back to London and have to move back in with my parents for a while until I find a job. I am 28, so I have time to start over again. It's not an easy decision to have to make, because he doesn't want to move with me. Thanks all for listening, I really love this forum.
I lived in Spain when I was in my early 20's and went back to the UK after 3 years. I couldn't adjust and only London gave me some solace. Smaller towns with closing times (not just pubs) and wierd non sensical rules and laws just drove me mad.

I stuck it out for a while and was able to move to Asia. Now a few years later I am moving again, to Singapore most likely but the threat of London looms. Despite having an attatchment to someone in London (recently moved from Asia) I know I could not live there permanently in normal circumstances but for love I could live anywhere. I guess it will not work out and I will end up in Singapore, or not.

The Uk has gone down the toilet. Taxation is a massive killer for starters and then you get bugger all for it. Crime and all these loony religious types with mass economic migration have screwed up the country and if you haven't got £10m+ then forget it.
Old May 4th 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

del k has a spectacular aura aboutdel k has a spectacular aura aboutdel k has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by franki
Definitely conflicted!! I moved back just over a year ago with my US hubby and 2 kids. After losing my mum, my dad having health problems and me being miserable, we sold our lovely house, gave up our comfortable lifestyle and came back to UK. Things went quite well, we found jobs, bought a house but I sit here now wishing we could afford to go back. It seems I always post the same story on here so apologies for that. It's just so confusing though. The thing I miss most is having the time to spend with my family. We have to work so much here just to make ends meet, we don't get the same family time as we did in US. In a way I feel like my children are neglected here because of the lack of time. Even when I do have time to play with them, I'm always thinking about other things I need to do. Even though, I don't want my kids to be spoiled, it would be nice to be able to spend money on them when we want to. People often say we should be glad of what we have, but it's hard when we've had it better.
Then there's the health care. It does scare me to think that an illness over in US could wipe you out financially, but it scares me too that the care just isn't as good over here. I know there are good doctors about but the one I have now is definitely not one of them.
The kids here bother me too. They just hang around outside the shops. That is the last thing I want for my kids.
Oh I just don't know!! Sorry to waffle on but some days I just feel so depressed about it all.
Hi Franki, somebody else that repeats themself!!
We are moving back to the uk on 2nd June. I am totally conflicted, miss family, friends, feeling like a local etc etc. We've had a good life here in Australia for 2 years but somehow we often ask ourselves "is this it?" even thopugh it's beautiful and I do think it's a good place for kids. I have chopped and changed my mind so many times about what the best plan of action is. We have decided to go home and see how we get on. My husband had to make the final decision as if left up to me we'd be 5 years down the line and still nothing concrete.
Anyway what I'm trying to say is that even though we're going back and I'm glad we are (although not excited), I predict that the negative aspects of the UK will push us back in the Oz direction. Who knows. Just wish I felt clearer about things.
Does anyone else question their feelings on a daily basis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.