Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in DC?

Anyone in DC?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:44 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice
Default Anyone in DC?

?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:59 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in DC?

Originally Posted by Redlippie
?
Not if I can help it.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really nice

I`m about 40 miles southwest if thats any help.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:40 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in DC a few days a week, but try to stay away as much as possible.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:49 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

What's the best way to get into the embassy district from the airport? Bearing in mind this is going to be in January when the snow is out and about I presume?

I need to renew my darned passport and bugger it if I don't have to fly up there and get it done as the Miami office doesn't have biometric stuff in yet.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:38 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Anyone in DC?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Not if I can help it.
DC is awesome! I actually used to live south of DC in Alexandria, VA. Lived there for about 10 years. Of all the places that I've lived at in the US, that area is the best. And just to qualify myself, I've lived in Phoenix, AZ, Vicksburg, MS, Tulsa, OK, Athens, GA, St. Louis, MO and Kansas City, MO.

I see that you live in MO. Quite frankly I've always thought of MO as the state of 'Misery'. I plan on fleeing this place summer of '08 for the east coast.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:46 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

What's the best way to get into the embassy district from the airport? Bearing in mind this is going to be in January when the snow is out and about I presume?

I need to renew my darned passport and bugger it if I don't have to fly up there and get it done as the Miami office doesn't have biometric stuff in yet.
Which airport are you arriving at? Dulles or Baltimore? If Baltimore I would take the shuttle to the train station. This shuttle is for Amtrak heading south to Union Station. Union Station is a Metro Station. Taking the Metro downtown is your best bet. The taxi system in DC sucks the big one because they use a zoning system which can confuse the hell out of you especially if you want to make sure you aren't being charged. Plus the taxi drivers have been known to drive a route that maximizes their rate (those punks). Your best bet would be to call the embassy directly as they will know more about transport options.

If you are arriving at Dulles, an airport shuttle would be your best bet. Try SuperShuttle. They have great rates. If you want try them at both airports.

I have some sites down below to help you out.

Washington Metro

Super Shuttle

British Embassy - Washington, D.C.

I hope this helps.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:03 am

Thank you. I'm not heading for the Brit embassy, but I'm sure they're all in the same area.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:06 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Which airport are you arriving at? Dulles or Baltimore? If Baltimore I would take the shuttle to the train station. This shuttle is for Amtrak heading south to Union Station. Union Station is a Metro Station. Taking the Metro downtown is your best bet. The taxi system in DC sucks the big one because they use a zoning system which can confuse the hell out of you especially if you want to make sure you aren't being charged. Plus the taxi drivers have been known to drive a route that maximizes their rate (those punks). Your best bet would be to call the embassy directly as they will know more about transport options.

If you are arriving at Dulles, an airport shuttle would be your best bet. Try SuperShuttle. They have great rates. If you want try them at both airports.

I have some sites down below to help you out.

Washington Metro

Super Shuttle

British Embassy - Washington, D.C.

I hope this helps.

DCA-Washington National is the closest to downtown
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:09 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
DC is awesome! I actually used to live south of DC in Alexandria, VA. Lived there for about 10 years. Of all the places that I've lived at in the US, that area is the best. And just to qualify myself, I've lived in Phoenix, AZ, Vicksburg, MS, Tulsa, OK, Athens, GA, St. Louis, MO and Kansas City, MO.

I see that you live in MO. Quite frankly I've always thought of MO as the state of 'Misery'. I plan on fleeing this place summer of '08 for the east coast.
Some people belong on the Coasts and you sound like one of them.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:41 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Some people belong on the Coasts and you sound like one of them.
You bet! I left my heart there when I moved away. I'm just glad I'm a two hour flight away. I just hate I can't drive there. It would take me about two days or 24 hours (18 actual). A girl's gotta stop and shop along the way.

Last edited by ugacrew; Nov 7th 2007 at 12:44 am.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Anyone in DC?

Can't you just "Fed-Ex' the thing in and not have to travel there?????

Jim.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Can't you just "Fed-Ex' the thing in and not have to travel there?????

Jim.
Biometrics.

I'm going to go with cindy's suggestion and arrive at DCA. I was planning on a few days in DC with the kids, but bugger if I'm going to freeze my butt off - will go later on in the year when it is warmer.

Unfortunately, their ID cards expire in February as do their passports and they can't get a passport without a current ID card, so have to go in January.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:02 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The British Embassy is about as far away from a subway station as you can get in the city proper. You will pretty much need a cab to take you up there (though you could catch a direct bus from Dupont Circle subway). If you felt like walking it is probably 1 mile from the Dupont Circle station (up a gradual hill).

As folks said, DCA is your best bet, landing right downtown (just about two miles from the White House).

If you look at a map the Embassy is just across the street (to the South) from the Naval Observatory on Massachusetts Avenue at Observatory Circle. The Kiwi embassy is also right there. Cheney lives at the Observatory, and Hillary Clinton down the road a bit so security in the area is quite tight.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 7:35 pm

Portuguese. It is also on Massataxes Avenue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.